Stumprises and why you likely haven't seen them

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Stumprises and why you likely haven't seen them

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:02 am

Stumps can randomly generate many little goodies. Forgotten cobwebs, chestnuts, smooth stones, dried rattler skin, singing old logs. But likely if you're reading this you gave up long ago when you first started looking for these fabled treasures. The question is why can others find these but you didn't?

As far as I can tell, anytime a map is loaded empty stumps get a chance to spawn goodies. It is fairly low however (as in 1/50 at the very highest I'd guess), and when everyone was first wandering the world they had the 1/50 chance to get toys. Most didn't and gave up. Stumps surrounding active villages (2-3 maps out) will however get a lot of map loads as foragers head out on their journeys. This means those stumps may have as high as a 1/5 chance of having spawned something by the time you get around to checking them (if others aren't). When wandering my village's foraging grounds, I found 7 snake skins, 5 cobwebs and 1 singing old log after checking about 50 stumps. If anything it makes snake skin too easy to get at current spawn rates.

Short story? Check stumps near high traffic areas regularly as they will have more goodies. And don't destroy stumps 2-3 minimaps out from your village as they will be a major and helpful source of curiosities and snake skin. Alternatively, randomly foraging and finding lots of stumprises likely means the area is populated nearby.

I'm not sure I like how these spawning mechanics work, but at least it's a benefit to heavily foraged areas which otherwise tend to suffer in quality.

Edit: This is of course simply my observations. I could be wrong on how it works.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Re: Stumprises and why you likely haven't seen them

Postby Letar » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:22 am

Hmm... I haven't seen any indications of any traffic in the area I'm currently at and I have found cobwebs and singing logs although I have really played only couple of hours during three evenings so far. I have been actively checking stumps, though.
Letar

Postby TotalyMoo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:45 pm

This might be true. I live in a super low-traffic area and I have never seen anything inside a stump or an old log.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:47 pm

So if I'm reading this right... Stumps and other containers aren't disposing of the contents when the map unloads. Intentional or a bug?
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:09 pm

MagicManICT wrote:So if I'm reading this right... Stumps and other containers aren't disposing of the contents when the map unloads. Intentional or a bug?

Intentional from what I can see. One of my villagers likes to keep fishing supplies in stumps. For them to be useable as containers, I'd think they can't easily distinguish between player placed items and forage placed items.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby TotalyMoo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Sevenless wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:So if I'm reading this right... Stumps and other containers aren't disposing of the contents when the map unloads. Intentional or a bug?

Intentional from what I can see. One of my villagers likes to keep fishing supplies in stumps. For them to be useable as containers, I'd think they can't easily distinguish between player placed items and forage placed items.

A little off topic, but you don't happen to have your village in the middle of a dark wood, next to a river?
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:27 pm

TotalyMoo wrote:
Sevenless wrote:

A little off topic, but you don't happen to have your village in the middle of a dark wood, next to a river?

Tsk tsk, a woman never reveals her age.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:07 pm

Sevenless wrote:

Good point, but one can make just as valid an argument the other way, too.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Return to Help!