Best way to deal with a theif?

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Best way to deal with a theif?

Postby Dallane » Thu May 25, 2017 9:28 pm

Chrumps wrote:If the criminal knows his trade it was no more than a slap on a wrist.

Thats just a excuse snowflakes use to not seem like a failure.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Chrumps » Thu May 25, 2017 9:42 pm

Dallane wrote:Thats just a excuse snowflakes use to not seem like a failure.

Don't. You are trying too hard to prove devil does not exist.
Taipion wrote:There are easier ways to raise your CnD than blood shards. :P

I did not say it's the only or even the best way. But it makes things way easier.
Chrumps

Postby Dallane » Thu May 25, 2017 9:51 pm

Chrumps wrote:
Dallane wrote:Thats just a excuse snowflakes use to not seem like a failure.

Don't. You are trying too hard to prove devil does not exist.

I have no idea wtf you are trying to say but if you are actually saying that criminals have zero setback losing a character then you are straight retarded. It's the same as the retarded ITS ONLY A FARMING ALT meme that was hot a few years ago.

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby TotalyMeow » Thu May 25, 2017 10:11 pm

It used to be that crime 'alts' had more work put into them than main characters and losing one was absolutely a harsh blow no matter how good your assembly line. It's not quite so bad now, but it's certainly a setback. Someone like Darwoth might be able to replace such a character quickly (still a lot of resources used), but if this was someone's first attempt at crime, they might have spent weeks setting up the gear, the humors, the skills, finding a soft looking target. It's a bit silly to argue so strenuously that this most excellent example of a newbie standing up for himself wasn't a great success.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Hohenheim » Thu May 25, 2017 10:27 pm

To the topic, the best way to deal with a thief is to use the items you find. Use them yourself, sell them or trade them for stuff you need.

I think someone phrased it like this: most people spends days collecting nice stuff but only hours to build defense. If you want to play smart, you do it the other way around. Invest a lot of time in improving your denfese. Save money that you don't need in the bank and improve your character.

Stocking a thief is at least annoying to them. A pro who has 3+ thieves ready will probably not have much of a problem with that, but that char is out of the game for a while and will need to be rebiled if he gets wiped enough. So at least you are annoying the thief.

Invest what you have in your base and your char and stock a thief if you can, I think that hurts them plenty. Usually several braziers and torches covering every part of a stone wall will keep most amateur thieves out and the pros will probably not waste their time on you if you don't look very interesting compared to the def they have to overcome.
Hohenheim

Postby Chrumps » Thu May 25, 2017 10:29 pm

It's definitely fun to see a criminal bring that unlucky.
Though I have no idea what kind of char have been involved, at the very basic level, getting a 40 bile alt is almost instant. Getting larceny is more problematic but I can easily imagine someone having a queue of semi-raised alts, waiting to accumulate enough inspiration.
Dallane wrote:I have no idea wtf you are trying to say.

You are not up to date with some current game mechanics.
Chrumps

Postby Dallane » Thu May 25, 2017 11:01 pm

From a PM i received

Chrumps wrote:I was referring to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19566&p=288809&hilit=doesn%27t+exist#p288809
You obviously are not up to date with some crime specifics.

Raising a basic larceny alt is ridiculously cheap. I can make one daily.

Nonetheless do not make me write too much about crime. I do not want to make too much of it public.

You obviously have down syndrome.

So you admit you have set up the infrastructure to this. You admit that you have invested time and resources into doing this activity. Using the excuse that you can make a crime alt daily so it isn't a big loss is just dumb. You have actively invested time into a activity and when that character dies you have lost said investment. Maybe you have gained enough from robbing random leantos and small claims but you still have a vested interest in that character that can't be fully recovered.

Dallane

Postby Darwoth » Fri May 26, 2017 1:35 am

dallane is correct, not even sure why this is being argued.

i can make a thief alt np, and even a crappy 100 stat alt with basic black skills up to waste is an investment of resources/time that likely far exceeds whatever the new guy lost.

click the scents on the ground to make sure the person is dead (if so it will say their dead, if not it wont say anything)
Darwoth

Postby Redcoats » Fri May 26, 2017 2:04 am

Man, its took me weeks to get to my biles, and they are under 100. guess its just lack of knowledge though haha
Redcoats

Postby TotalyMeow » Fri May 26, 2017 2:49 am

Redcoats wrote:Man, its took me weeks to get to my biles, and they are under 100. guess its just lack of knowledge though haha

It all depends on your infrastructure and experience. As a new player, you won't have a nice set of clothes for gluttony bonuses, you won't have tier three fields for wheat and other important food ingredients, you won't have the experience to hunt bears, etc. But once you have all that, raising a second character to 100 humors will take a few days, and the third will take even less if you want it to.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

PreviousNext

Return to Help!