Map of Providence

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Map of Providence

Postby casualgamerdave » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:57 am

According to the threads I've read, there used to a 4-5GB map of Providence was compilled but it's only held by certain players.

1. Is this map available for download somewhere?

2. I've read mention of 2 mapping tools. I've used the one listed on the wiki. It works great but I think I would have a hard time using it to merge tiles over several sessions. Is it better to merge, export, and then later stitch together all the exported merged maps into a supermerged map - perhaps with photostitch software?

3. Should I be necro posting on the old threads or starting a new one?
casualgamerdave

Re: Map of Providence

Postby TotalyMeow » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:21 am

If you don't find your answers in a search, make a new thread.

I know of no current large map made by the players. There used to be several maps made of the old server, but it had less than 10% the land of our current server and was unwieldy even then. Since the new server is much more mixed up in biomes, it's actually not as useful to have a map as it used to be as raiders used to use such maps to identify base locations from the visible biomes when people were unwise enough to post screenshots of their bases online. There's less incentive to make a map now that a screenshot won't usually help you find a base.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Claeyt » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:46 am

casualgamerdave wrote:According to the threads I've read, there used to a 4-5GB map of Providence was compilled but it's only held by certain players.

1. Is this map available for download somewhere?

2. I've read mention of 2 mapping tools. I've used the one listed on the wiki. It works great but I think I would have a hard time using it to merge tiles over several sessions. Is it better to merge, export, and then later stitch together all the exported merged maps into a supermerged map - perhaps with photostitch software?

3. Should I be necro posting on the old threads or starting a new one?

As a former member of the largest mapping group on Roanoke I can talk a bit about this.

The mapping tool you're using still works fine but it's best used for mapping large areas and then saving them as large map pics.

The map size grew considerably this world and you need a server to run any large scale map tile program that can be used by other people. I've seen 2 of them now and both of them required a personal server.

The 2 or 3 maps groups currently have are saved on servers to my knowledge.

There are people still interested in just mapping if you're interested in joining a mapping group but they don't play much.

People do pay in game silver for maps. I've been payed thousands of silver last world for mapping certain areas or giving maps to areas where the buyer's enemies live.

You can collect map tiles from other people and then give them access to your map server if you want but be careful as they can then share it with someone else. We used Dropbox for this sharing of huge amounts of map tiles but there are other programs.
Last edited by Claeyt on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claeyt

Postby Chrumps » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:47 am

1. Yes, there is an incomplete map available to be downloaded from forums. It reasonably covers areas near Providence but otherwise it is sparse. It covers some 7% of the total area. You have to find it yourself though ¦] .
2. Both tools are designed to merge maps from different sessions. You have to learn how they work. Time Paradox tool works quite well for me. You do not want to have a complete stitched server map. It's 80000x80000 pixels if you do it in the same resolution as minimaps.
Chrumps

Postby Dallane » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:21 pm

Claeyt wrote:I've been payed thousands of silver last world for mapping certain areas or giving maps to areas where the buyer's enemies live.

Post proof of this
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Claeyt » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:12 pm

Dallane wrote:
Claeyt wrote:I've been payed thousands of silver last world for mapping certain areas or giving maps to areas where the buyer's enemies live.

Post proof of this

How exactly do you expect me to post proof of these sales that happened 3 years ago?

I sold a map of the area around CoD to Thorop for a couple of thousand silver when I was selling free noob ports to CoD for 50s per. I once sold a map of the far Northwest to Wishy for 2 snakeskulls. I mapped a couple of other areas around enemy towns for other current players, who shall go unnamed, for less.

Of course many people sold maps to the great water spots for silver. Frost was the master of mapping out and hunting down water spots. I think he sold the map to the 10% Yellow water spot way up in the Central mountains for something like 5000s. You'd have to ask him. I sold maps to the other 3 spots a bunch of times for less.

I gave maps away for in-game political reasons as well.

I once betrayed the 'Candy Gang' and set Darwoth on Kit Kat and JC by giving him a map. I played them off each other a bit to lessen JC's noob slaughter that was killing the player population on Roanoke. I did it secretly on an alt account but Darwoth could confirm I gave him the map.

It wasn't a sale but I once gave Darwoth a directional map and a map of the area around Candy Island after Kit Kat and JC wrecked my little mountain base and started killing noobs for sport. Darwoth can confirm this happened right after he came to Roanoke even though the PM came from an alt of mine. This led to him taking Embie's town down by there and blockading it with full locked cabinets. I think I gave him maps to YourGrandMother's base, 'Lake Chaubunagungamaug' also.

This of course led to Wishy's entrapment in the mine at a different location and I played both sides by then helping the Candy Queen and Kit Kat out of that and destroying Darwoth's well laid plans once again.

Edit: I still have one of the maps I gave him after all these years. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Candy Island

¦] ¦] ¦]

I miss Wishy and YoGrMo. I wonder what they're up to.
Claeyt

Postby Dallane » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:27 pm

Claeyt wrote:How exactly do you expect me to post proof of these sales that happened 3 years ago?

Thought so. Help isn't the place to lie you know.

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Claeyt » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:35 am

Dallane wrote:
Claeyt wrote:How exactly do you expect me to post proof of these sales that happened 3 years ago?

So I give you proof and you accuse me of lying?
Claeyt

Postby Dallane » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:37 am

Claeyt wrote:
Dallane wrote:

So I give you proof and you accuse me of lying?

You making up stories with no actual evidence, as you have been told by the devs aswell isn't actual proof. Now please lets both stop derailing

Dallane

Postby TotalyMeow » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:47 am

Darwoth was never an enemy of the Tribe.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Next

Return to Help!