Map of Providence

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Map of Providence

Postby casualgamerdave » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:15 am

casualgamerdave

Postby Claeyt » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:18 am

TotalyMeow wrote:Darwoth was never an enemy of the Tribe.

Who said he was?

I said he was an enemy of the Candy Gang.
Claeyt

Postby Dallane » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:56 pm

Claeyt wrote:
TotalyMeow wrote:Darwoth was never an enemy of the Tribe.

Who said he was?

I said he was an enemy of the Candy Gang.

Claeyt wrote:I once betrayed the 'Candy Gang' and set Darwoth on Kit Kat and JC by giving him a map. I played them off each other a bit to lessen JC's noob slaughter that was killing the player population on Roanoke.

Weird.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Claeyt » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:48 pm

Dallane wrote:
Claeyt wrote:I once betrayed the 'Candy Gang' and set Darwoth on Kit Kat and JC by giving him a map. I played them off each other a bit to lessen JC's noob slaughter that was killing the player population on Roanoke.

Weird.

So you're confirming JC was the Chief???? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Claeyt

Postby Dallane » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:52 pm

Claeyt wrote:
Dallane wrote:

Weird.

So you're confirming JC was the Chief???? :roll: :roll: :roll:

>gets rekt
>changes subject
>needs to stop derailing

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby casualgamerdave » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:51 pm

Thank you

Claeyt wrote:The 2 or 3 maps groups currently have are saved on servers to my knowledge.

There are people still interested in just mapping if you're interested in joining a mapping group but they don't play much.

Whom could I contact to join one of these groups? I have only seen posts by users who are mapping for themselves. Could you kindly PM me if you can't post it publicly?

Chrumps wrote:1. Yes, there is an incomplete map available to be downloaded from forums. It reasonably covers areas near Providence but otherwise it is sparse. It covers some 7% of the total area. You have to find it yourself though ¦] .

In my search I have only found members that are making private maps. The links that I have found, are always broken.
casualgamerdave

Postby Chrumps » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:35 pm

You give up too fast.
Chrumps

Postby casualgamerdave » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:30 pm

I'll keep looking...
casualgamerdave

Postby Claeyt » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:41 pm

casualgamerdave wrote:Thank you

Claeyt wrote:The 2 or 3 maps groups currently have are saved on servers to my knowledge.

There are people still interested in just mapping if you're interested in joining a mapping group but they don't play much.

Whom could I contact to join one of these groups? I have only seen posts by users who are mapping for themselves. Could you kindly PM me if you can't post it publicly?

Well there were 2 or 3 mapping only groups that did it:

The ones from the original Providence mappings and provided the first mapping program (Imriel or whatever her name was put it together) were pretty big. They had maybe 10 people with minor contributors but they were big in HnH (forget which town) and went back after the world ending lag fix and stayed for the new worlds as far as I know.

The current mapping tool guy, hikkikomori is Russian I believe and doesn't play anymore. I think he lived at Rustatorium and they all used it.

My mapping group had maybe 10 people at it's height but they've mostly quit. Kwaad hosted probably the best actual program on his server with a program he built. It had the ability to put in icons and labels and is what we hosted Roanoake on. I still talk to him but he doesn't play. I had a RL friend who was a truly prolific mapper. He did about 60% of what we had of Roanoke. He wrote another program that worked great but was huuuge on his server. It had the ability to zoom in and also combine mapping tiles by area recognition. He still keeps up with the game but doesn't play regular.

Frost/Frotted/Frakked contributed alot to Roanoke but he's been perma-banned for many reasons and doesn't play as far as I know.

There are still a few mappers out there and even a few world map sites still up after checking the old links but no groups from what I know.

So that leaves:

You could work for one of the big groups on Providence that are mapping for themselves. I'd bet some of the KKKristians have a large map. I'd also bet that Heffernan and his buddies would help you map and maybe add your tiles to whatever he has and share his. Darwoth probably has a map and he's used plenty of slave laborers before to further his evil deeds (I miss Alien and his tethered dream world mining chores). If all you want to do is map and not live in a town then the big groups are also mapping and you can share maps with them.

The big groups have always been the most in need of mappers. The Tribe supposedly mapped the entirety of Plymouth and the Candy Gang supposedly had around 60% of Roanoke but they never shared either of their maps publicly. Darwoth said he mapped. There are a couple of reasons why large public maps on Salem are really really hard to accomplish.

1. They need to be hosted on a server.

2. Letting anyone on the server can lead to doxxing, ddos'ing the link and other attacks on the server. This happened to Kwaad and is one of the reasons his group quit I think.

3. Letting people see your map tiles shows them where your towns are and where you most frequently map from. You can prevent this by having dedicated mapping alts that don't go through your town but it requires avoiding having your town tiles added to the heap of map tiles with the current available mapping program.

So this is why big groups keep them secret and only for their members eyes. You could work with one of them but you'd have to assume they'd use your mapping for raiding any bases you found and that would be on you.

If you want to do a huge public map I'd do one of 2 things.

1. Start mapping by yourself and posting large (and I mean huge) screen shots to a new Map thread probably in HoB. Point out what you find, name stuff like I named the big waterfall north of Providence "Darwoth's Tears", and find unusual things like where the Whales turn around and head back North during summer.

2. Talk to the dev's maybe they can host a community mapping event where Tmeow adds tiles from players via Dropbox to a map hosted on their servers. I don't know if they'd do it. They probably want to keep us in the dark.
Claeyt

Postby Dallane » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:08 pm

Claeyt wrote:2. Talk to the dev's maybe they can host a community mapping event where Tmeow adds tiles from players via Dropbox to a map hosted on their servers. I don't know if they'd do it. They probably want to keep us in the dark.

See my signature as to why its a bad idea to do this.

Dallane

PreviousNext

Return to Help!