Random empty claim

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Random empty claim

Postby Rzeznik » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:01 pm

I've been wandering around the map after not playing for a while and I've noticed an empty 5x5 claim next to a big, raided, abandoned settlement. The settlement had no walls or buildings anymore so it must've been abandoned for a long time.
Is it possible that the empty claim is some sort of an assurance that nobody claims the settlement, and if they do they'll get raided as well? Or could it just be a coincidence. Because it doesn't seem like someone would spend money on a claim and keep it up for months without a reason.
Rzeznik

Re: Random empty claim

Postby AcidSpiral » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:17 pm

Chances are it was placed to cover the scents of the player who raided the original base and no one has bothered leaving their own scents to remove it in all this time.
AcidSpiral
Customer

Postby Rzeznik » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:24 pm

That makes a lot of sense. It also sheds some light on the crime system.
Thanks!
Rzeznik

Postby Kandarim » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:39 pm

Yes, common use. It both covers scents so that people automatically leave trackable scents of their own when picking yours up, and (short-term, while looting) also stops people from strolling into a base you spent hours breaking into.
Also, it may have been used to drain braziers/torchposts, if the claim defenses were poor.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Return to Help!