Shoring Up My Defense

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Shoring Up My Defense

Postby kompletist » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:45 pm

Sup all. Been back in the game a few weeks now. Playing with a few friends, having a blast. We do have a town bell up as an fyi.

Just trying to get a feel for what a proper defense is for my interior PC. My PC is only about 25x25 tiles. Currently I have 2 braziers and 3 torchposts on my lot. Just curious what I should ultimately be shooting for in order to make it a pain for anyone looking to ransack my PC.

While I'm here in regards to our Town I recently noticed a few new leanto's not far from our claim. From what I can gather it seems like a lot of higher tier players will park alts outside of towns just to keep on eye on things? Or should we perceive these as a more imminent threat? Just looking for the general rule of thumb for dealing with this situation.

Lastly I just wanted to thank everyone on the forums. It's crazy how much I learn just trolling around here. You folks may not see it but you really do have a great community!
kompletist

Re: Shoring Up My Defense

Postby Taipion » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:13 am

A claim like yours is likely no real target yet.

Locked doors, a wall, preferably stone hedge, and a few torchposts will keep out most people, especially if your claim looks not like a juicy target. ^^

Eventually, you want:
- a town bell, that one is a must later on
- a pclaim at least the size of your town, preferably extending a good bit beyond it, more claim more good
- brick walls, at least 2-3 layers of it, likely brick+plank on each layer
- proper defense, that is at least 1 full row of braziers per wall layer, maybe 2, and a few rows of torchposts behin that, defense is more important than walls, more def > more walls, but you always need both, a brazier that is not protected by a wall is useless
- a perimeter wall, that can be an undefended stone wall, that is still on your town claim (extend with boundry stones) and prevents anyone from looking at your actual town without making a TbF and breaking that wall

Things for show, not really needed:
- heavy segmentation / honeycomb architecture, might hinder you more than an attacker in the end
- steel walls
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Yes » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:19 am

Taipion wrote:- heavy segmentation / honeycomb architecture, might hinder you
how?
(a person who plays online games since the 1980s about salem) laywn wrote:I have never seen anything so down right dirty!
Yes

Postby Taipion » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:29 am

Yes wrote:
Taipion wrote:- heavy segmentation / honeycomb architecture, might hinder you
how?

More doors, less free movement, more walls in between walls that you have to go around.

Don't forget, you have to live there, and you will walk certain paths countless times, if it takes 5 seconds more because of an additional wall that serves as segemtation, and you pass by 10 times a day, you'll lose like 5 hours over the course of a year just because of that tiny detail.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby MaxPlanck » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:31 am

Only if its honeycombed/grid based throughout the whole thing, people can just do that on the outer edges.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Taipion » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:39 am

MaxPlanck wrote:Only if its honeycombed/grid based throughout the whole thing, people can just do that on the outer edges.

Sure, it all depends.

Just saying you can use segmentation all the way trough, and it will add to your base's defensive value,
you just need to decide how much protection you need, or how much is good for you.
Like, muricans gave up all their freedom for security, and they seem to be fine with that, :lol:
whereas some people in Salem seem to be ok with strangers walking in and using/taking their stuff, otherwise they'd have walls, or locks in their doors.
Taipion

Postby Bleuwulf » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:39 am

Unlike some people who don't bother to READ before they post their OPINION,I see you say you have a town bell already,this is great as long as you can afford the the upkeep. most of what is suggested is sound based on individual play styles (and that's really what it comes down to).Personally I only disagree on a couple points:

*multiple walls- really only need a couple layers,and no "Honeycomb" design,as it won't add much of deterrent to someone who's pondering coming through a wall despite defenses anyway,you'd have to make the "cells" really wide or else wall splash damage will mean all you're doing is wasting valuable real estate you could be building on. just layer your walls with WEAKEST outside,as (unless they changed the mechanic and didnt announce it) walls only splash same or weaker strength walls,i.e. split-rail only splashes split-rail and makeshift,stone hedge only splashes stone hedge,split,and makeshift,etc.

*wall far out to keep actual base from being seen - again,this is kind of a fruitless (and expensive) effort in my opinion,in fact likely to do more harm than good,as again,someone who might actually be able and willing to risk a high bile character against your defenses (the ones we're worried about,right?) is going to see that and ask themselves "what is he/she/they trying so hard to hide??" Stick instead to making your base exterior looks as junky/newbie as possible,as the same aforementioned character is likely to assume there's nothing you have remotely worth risking their crime/combat alt they've been grinding for months,and will go away and look for wandering defenseless newbs to pick on ;)

*using the same trick with appearances,you might want to consider a "bank" alt,one that isnt really "active" and kins NOONE (save maybe other alts,your choice) with a small claim and lean-to, just to hold your valuables. build a single modest fence and several Torchposts,and then this just looks like a very cautious/defensive newb. Of course it isn't foolproof,but again,most are unlikely to risk ruining a hard-grinded character for the "high" likelihood of getting a priests robes,flint axe,and common forageables for their trouble. :p

*with a tclaim (bell) noone can even TRY until they drop a Trial By Fire nearby (and properly aimed) and wait 24 hours for it to "take effect" so watch out for these!!! keep a high phlegm alt in the town (good anyways,for mundane chores) with the Waste skill and if someone tries Tbf keep checking on it and trying to bash it as a few hours before its effect activates it becomes vulnerable. I've not had the misfortune to deal with this first hand so if someone else could chime in about whether or not a pclaim over the Tbf can be necessary/helpful,that'd be great. otherwise,couldnt hurt, 150s to potentially save your town is a pittance..

*work WITH your villagers - the theory is that you're stronger as a group than individually,find out who plays at what times and try to make sure there is someone "keeping an eye on things" virtually round the clock. sometimes the best deterrent is an active character of unknown bile strength running around the claim. insist your people notify if theyre going to be absent for more than a day or two,and kick inactives aggressively.

As with everything I post here this will subsequently be argued/bashed/etc. I dont care but I will state that these are MY opinions,there are MANY different strategies and play styles and there is no RIGHT way,regardless of assertions to the contrary. Ultimately you find what works and feels right for you,and go with that,only time and experience will tell you if you should change things,and how. hope this helps give you ideas.
This game is full of cowards. Don't fear the braggarts and blowhards,it's the ones who CLAIM to be your friends that will lure you into ambush and backstab you.....
Bleuwulf

Postby nosfirebird » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:50 am

Bleuwulf wrote:Unlike some people who don't bother to READ before they post their OPINION,I see you say you have a town bell already,this is great as long as you can afford the the upkeep. most of what is suggested is sound based on individual play styles (and that's really what it comes down to).Personally I only disagree on a couple points:

*multiple walls- really only need a couple layers,and no "Honeycomb" design,as it won't add much of deterrent to someone who's pondering coming through a wall despite defenses anyway,you'd have to make the "cells" really wide or else wall splash damage will mean all you're doing is wasting valuable real estate you could be building on. just layer your walls with WEAKEST outside,as (unless they changed the mechanic and didnt announce it) walls only splash same or weaker strength walls,i.e. split-rail only splashes split-rail and makeshift,stone hedge only splashes stone hedge,split,and makeshift,etc.

*wall far out to keep actual base from being seen - again,this is kind of a fruitless (and expensive) effort in my opinion,in fact likely to do more harm than good,as again,someone who might actually be able and willing to risk a high bile character against your defenses (the ones we're worried about,right?) is going to see that and ask themselves "what is he/she/they trying so hard to hide??" Stick instead to making your base exterior looks as junky/newbie as possible,as the same aforementioned character is likely to assume there's nothing you have remotely worth risking their crime/combat alt they've been grinding for months,and will go away and look for wandering defenseless newbs to pick on ;)

*using the same trick with appearances,you might want to consider a "bank" alt,one that isnt really "active" and kins NOONE (save maybe other alts,your choice) with a small claim and lean-to, just to hold your valuables. build a single modest fence and several Torchposts,and then this just looks like a very cautious/defensive newb. Of course it isn't foolproof,but again,most are unlikely to risk ruining a hard-grinded character for the "high" likelihood of getting a priests robes,flint axe,and common forageables for their trouble. :p

*with a tclaim (bell) noone can even TRY until they drop a Trial By Fire nearby (and properly aimed) and wait 24 hours for it to "take effect" so watch out for these!!! keep a high phlegm alt in the town (good anyways,for mundane chores) with the Waste skill and if someone tries Tbf keep checking on it and trying to bash it as a few hours before its effect activates it becomes vulnerable. I've not had the misfortune to deal with this first hand so if someone else could chime in about whether or not a pclaim over the Tbf can be necessary/helpful,that'd be great. otherwise,couldnt hurt, 150s to potentially save your town is a pittance..

*work WITH your villagers - the theory is that you're stronger as a group than individually,find out who plays at what times and try to make sure there is someone "keeping an eye on things" virtually round the clock. sometimes the best deterrent is an active character of unknown bile strength running around the claim. insist your people notify if theyre going to be absent for more than a day or two,and kick inactives aggressively.

As with everything I post here this will subsequently be argued/bashed/etc. I dont care but I will state that these are MY opinions,there are MANY different strategies and play styles and there is no RIGHT way,regardless of assertions to the contrary. Ultimately you find what works and feels right for you,and go with that,only time and experience will tell you if you should change things,and how. hope this helps give you ideas.

it doesnt take months to make a crime alt 2 hours to get it up to 150 with waste 3ish days to get it to 350(plank) week to get up to 550 so 10.5 days to make a brickbasher with a good glut set

to OP a mine is your friend build your city in the mine and have layers of walls on the outside no one can see what you have
nosfirebird

Postby Bleuwulf » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:55 am

^case in point,with the obligatory "argument" of rephrasing what i already said (hiding stuff is more effective than excessive defenses)

wanted to add something about your question of lean-tos,they are a very real danger as in addition to "keeping an eye on your town" they can make a map for a basher alt to port right outside your base at will,probably best to clear these out when and where possible.
This game is full of cowards. Don't fear the braggarts and blowhards,it's the ones who CLAIM to be your friends that will lure you into ambush and backstab you.....
Bleuwulf

Postby Taipion » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:00 am

Bleuwulf wrote:Unlike some people who don't bother to READ before they post their OPINION,I see you say you have a town bell already,this is great as long as you can afford the the upkeep. most of what is suggested is sound based on individual play styles (and that's really what it comes down to).Personally I only disagree on a couple points:

- it is not clear, especially newbies mix that up
- it is not clear, he does not say anywhere he has a town bell
- the OP likely has no townbell as he said his pclaim is just 25*25
- putting pointless stuff in caps makes you look stupid
- insulting other people, especially if you do it because you got things wrong, makes you look stupid

Otherwise there is, as usual, much opinion and little (correct) info in you posts.

Bleuwulf wrote:As with everything I post here this will subsequently be argued/bashed/etc.
Because you literarily ask for it by posting wrong things and insulting everyone in the same move, what you do is called trolling, just that you know.
Bleuwulf wrote:I dont care but I will state that these are MY opinions
Yes, obvious that you don't care, obvious these are opinions and not facts.
Bleuwulf wrote:there are MANY different strategies and play styles
That is one of the few correct lines in your entire wall of text post.
Bleuwulf wrote:there is no RIGHT way,regardless of assertions to the contrary
That is a weak statement in defense of the wrong stuff you post, there might not be one right way, but there are several wrong ways, now guess which ones you described here. :P

- Putting all your valuables on a fresh alt with minimal defense if definitely not a good idea
- A segmentation/honeycomb actually adds much defensive value, please don't talk about things you have no idea of, (in your own words, so you understand) KTHXBYE!!!1111
Taipion

Next

Return to Help!