Newbie questions

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Newbie questions

Postby Bleuwulf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:37 am

Chrumps wrote:Disregard Bleutard, he has no clue about crime.

I don't,huh?

Where is your base,again? :twisted:
This game is full of cowards. Don't fear the braggarts and blowhards,it's the ones who CLAIM to be your friends that will lure you into ambush and backstab you.....
Bleuwulf

Postby AcidSpiral » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:56 am

Bleuwulf wrote:
Lazun123 wrote:For safty go far out middle area-ish of the map, find a mine and settle near that with some local lime deposits. Work twords a town bell and then settle a hermit town and build more idealy to how you want. When you make your first base, make it look as un interesting as possible, dont buy anything you cant afford to replace. I would even recomend you building a stone wall only with minor deffenses. Seeing a private homestead with brick walls and no town bell is just waaaaayyyy to tempting to pass up for raiders. Dosnt matter how much defense you have, if you dont have a Town Bell it is super easy to steal everything you own with out leaving a scent.

When i raid, my thought proccess is this, if i feel the homestead is worth more then 8500silver worth of loot, ill raid it, and if somebody has wooden or brick walls in my mind just screams 8500+ silver in loot and thus will take the claim and homestead. If i see a claim with no TB and a ***** load of braziers and torchs, that means they have something they feel very worth protecting and likly to find richs:)

Translation: put your most precious items and your silver stash on an alt in the middle of nowhere so noone can find/steal them ;)

Do NOT do this. A lot of people have Larceny on forage alts and check claimed leantos. If it is worth the time they can place down a claim stone and bash the leanto to make all the items drop on the ground. Between checking it and getting the loot takes a space of at most 5 minutes and leaves no scents.
AcidSpiral
Customer

Postby Bleuwulf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:18 pm

AcidSpiral wrote:
Bleuwulf wrote:
Lazun123 wrote:For safty go far out middle area-ish of the map, find a mine and settle near that with some local lime deposits. Work twords a town bell and then settle a hermit town and build more idealy to how you want. When you make your first base, make it look as un interesting as possible, dont buy anything you cant afford to replace. I would even recomend you building a stone wall only with minor deffenses. Seeing a private homestead with brick walls and no town bell is just waaaaayyyy to tempting to pass up for raiders. Dosnt matter how much defense you have, if you dont have a Town Bell it is super easy to steal everything you own with out leaving a scent.

When i raid, my thought proccess is this, if i feel the homestead is worth more then 8500silver worth of loot, ill raid it, and if somebody has wooden or brick walls in my mind just screams 8500+ silver in loot and thus will take the claim and homestead. If i see a claim with no TB and a ***** load of braziers and torchs, that means they have something they feel very worth protecting and likly to find richs:)

Translation: put your most precious items and your silver stash on an alt in the middle of nowhere so noone can find/steal them ;)

Do NOT do this. A lot of people have Larceny on forage alts and check claimed leantos. If it is worth the time they can place down a claim stone and bash the leanto to make all the items drop on the ground. Between checking it and getting the loot takes a space of at most 5 minutes and leaves no scents.

If people genuinely go around checking every single inactive lean-to and noob hoping to find a "score" then the majority of the playerbase is even more desperate and pathetic than i already thought xD

I say this merely bc having a 2 week-old toon i could work/produce in my base and turn about 10-100x the profit in same time as someone wandering random in the wilderness checking lean-tos....

but by all means,enjoy all the flint axes and priest robes as you hunt for me :*
This game is full of cowards. Don't fear the braggarts and blowhards,it's the ones who CLAIM to be your friends that will lure you into ambush and backstab you.....
Bleuwulf

Postby grimkid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Bleuwulf wrote:If people genuinely go around checking every single inactive lean-to and noob hoping to find a "score" then the majority of the playerbase is even more desperate and pathetic than i already thought xD

I say this merely bc having a 2 week-old toon i could work/produce in my base and turn about 10-100x the profit in same time as someone wandering random in the wilderness checking lean-tos....

but by all means,enjoy all the flint axes and priest robes as you hunt for me :*

i did that, and i ended up with 2 claymore's, a sabre, a wig with high affluence, 1 high weaving set, 2 high combat sets, a mid glutony set, and other stuff:P 90% are noobs or lowlevel alts used for exploring which are not worth 150s for a claimstone. But from time to time you find a god with lots of stuff who set up his homestead unprotected somewhere in the wild. ¦]

I call that a fair "score", since i do that while mining or during some other activity.(not selling them yet, i am still waiting for the potential scent to fade)
Last edited by grimkid on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grimkid

Postby Bleuwulf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:30 pm

grimkid wrote:
Bleuwulf wrote:If people genuinely go around checking every single inactive lean-to and noob hoping to find a "score" then the majority of the playerbase is even more desperate and pathetic than i already thought xD

i did that, and i ended up with 2 claymore's, a sabre, a wig with high affluence, 1 high weaving set, 2 high combat sets, a mid glutony set, and other stuff:P 90% are noobs or lowlevel alts used for exploring. But from time to time you find a god with lots of stuff who set up his homestead unprotected somewhere in the wild. ¦]

I call that a fair "score", since i do that while mining or during some other activity.

fair enough,but as you stated,that was ONE decent score out of how many checked? the defense rests.
Bleuwulf

Postby grimkid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:31 pm

again, i am doing that passively while working in the base:D, or while watching a movie
grimkid

Postby AcidSpiral » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Bleuwulf wrote:
grimkid wrote:

i did that, and i ended up with 2 claymore's, a sabre, a wig with high affluence, 1 high weaving set, 2 high combat sets, a mid glutony set, and other stuff:P 90% are noobs or lowlevel alts used for exploring. But from time to time you find a god with lots of stuff who set up his homestead unprotected somewhere in the wild. ¦]

I call that a fair "score", since i do that while mining or during some other activity.

fair enough,but as you stated,that was ONE decent score out of how many checked? the defense rests.

It isn't JUST checking leantos. These are forage alts as I said that check the leantos they pass while foraging. Checking a leanto is as easy as right clicking it and clicking "Lewt". Takes about 2 seconds to see if it is worth busting. If you are running around only looking at leantos of course you aren't going to do well. I have turned a tidy sum though by checking them in passing. Even found one of a forage alt of someone else before that had 37 thornbush flowers on it. :lol:
AcidSpiral
Customer

Postby Chrumps » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Bleuwulf wrote:

I don't,huh?

Where is your base,again? :twisted:

That's how you proved my point.
Bleuwulf wrote:If people genuinely go around checking every single inactive lean-to and noob hoping to find a "score" then the majority of the playerbase is even more desperate and pathetic than i already thought

And that's how you proved it even further.
Chrumps

Postby Bleuwulf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:52 pm

well bottom line is you all play you're way and I'll play mine,all I'm going to say more on the subject is this: If I'm such a clueless and bad player then im even MORE satisfied with my progress since my return (100 bile char and 50 bile alt in less than 2 weeks)
and think I'm doing just fine,others can choose to listen to who they wish,and/or experiment on their own,I think it's being pretty obvious who is genuinely trying to be helpful and who's just being condescending and argumentative around here.....
Bleuwulf

Postby Lazun123 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:45 pm

The threshold for eminent domain to be economically viable is way higher than 8500 silver.
see wiki: http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Town_Bell
Even assuming ridiculously low prices I found today on Nsu's marketplace today the other materials cost is some 6-7 ks and plus the cost of declaiming which is 2xclaim size (minus initial 25 tiles, IIRC). At the target claim size of 20x20 which is not that big, the declaiming cost is 750 silver and at 30x30 it is 1750s. On to p of that there is a cost of defending the tclaim itself should one plan to use it again.

You are right, but if you can farm the materials, which any well established base will have, in my mind if i get 7k worth of loot, but that 7k loot are items i cant farm, store items and event items, then again worth it in my eyes. Thats leaving out the fun aspect.
WWJCD
Lazun123

PreviousNext

Return to Help!