Unpopulated Area

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Unpopulated Area

Postby riker88 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:01 am

So I've been raided twice, makes me think I setup in a bad spot.

Can anyone recommend an area of the map where there are no players? I prefer the quiet casual life, raising crop qualities and PvE style gameplay.

Thanks
riker88
Customer

Re: Unpopulated Area

Postby Yes » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:26 am

Do you mean that you don't want to set up any defences like walls and braziers or torchposts? Do you have any defences now?
(a person who plays online games since the 1980s about salem) laywn wrote:I have never seen anything so down right dirty!
Yes

Postby Forungi » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:34 am

Move to darkness
Forungi

Postby Heffernan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:36 am

Forungi wrote:Move to darkness

probably not good for a new player, just get a few more torchposts and a stonewall and its prob ok
Heffernan

Postby matan002 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:13 pm

Forungi wrote:Move to darkness

I would recommend this aswell. A base properly setup in the darkness has the advantages of being near monsters.
Lachlaan wrote:The motherbats await a spanking, for the sake of fields.
matan002

Postby Chrumps » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:32 pm

+1 for moving towards darkness but stay on the light side.
If you want to hunt darkness monsters you will need a base much deeper than you can afford now, so you will have to build another one.
Chrumps

Postby KruskDaMangled » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:50 pm

Chrumps wrote:+1 for moving towards darkness but stay on the light side.
If you want to hunt darkness monsters you will need a base much deeper than you can afford now, so you will have to build another one.

Any base is near the light side if you build a Church. Also has the unintended consequence of conspicuously signalling that somebody clearly lives in this area because it makes it suddenly "not darkness" because of the bubble of light around it.

But yes, certainly to start it would be easier to straddle the border. Anywhere near the boarder also means rats, of course, depending on how close you are when you range into that particular band of territory.
KruskDaMangled

Postby TotalyMeow » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:55 pm

Anything more than an hour and a half walk from town is going to be fairly unpopulated. Except maybe the darkness border and the area right around the port towns and landmarks. You can see those on the in-game map so just avoid settling too close to them.

Stay a little way away from darkness. You might want to hunt there later so consider being within a convenient ride of the border, but don't settle directly near it, it's the second most populated area because everyone settles there.

Make an alt, use a map to port it to your base, and just wander the map from there looking for a good deserted area. Keep in mind that you'll find bases everywhere, but some of them might be old and abandoned. Look for signs of abandonment such as fields being all completely read for harvest. If you find such a place unraided, you're probably in a good spot.

And like the others have said, you'll be raided almost anywhere if you have no defense. People are constantly wandering the map and someone will stumble across you eventually. Even if you're a tiny newbie who can't hunt beavers for their brains yet, you can still make tanning fluid by boiling birch bark to get a concentration over 5%, and tan rabbit hides or snakeskins found in trunks. In that way, even a very very new player can make a torchpost or two and even a makeshift fence guarded by a torchpost will keep most people from rifling through a newbie base.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby riker88 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Thanks for the replies, on the map how do I tell where the darkness area is?

My current base had braizers and torches, no bueno. It's a 1/2 hr walk from one of the teleport points.
riker88
Customer

Postby Chrumps » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Checklist:
Do you have a claim ?
Did you fill your braziers and torches with fuel ?
What kind of wall do you have?
Did you lock your gates ?
Do you have a lot of full boxes lying around ? (rather than hidden in a mine)
Chrumps

Next

Return to Help!