Questions Regarding Item Degradation, PClaims, Bell

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Questions Regarding Item Degradation, PClaims, Bell

Postby AstrellaLunari » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Hello everyone. :) Thanks for the help! Already loving this game.

1. How long do built items remain on the ground without a personal claim? Does it depend on their value, or are all things equal?

2. Does this degradation happen with houses/items in houses? Does it happens slower? Does the house only disappear if the items within have been taken?

3. It looks like a town bell takes up a huge hunk of space. Would this item be ideal for two-three friends to share space and resources? For example, since I know that I tend to be a sprint player (play a lot for a while then take a break for a bit,) if I founded a town with friends and we all shared in keeping up the bell, is that as good a defense as a personal claim? Or do you still need a personal claim within a town in order to build there? The town bell item looks so big in comparison to personal claims, so might it be the best option for this use? How does alting affect the efficacy of town bell vs. personal claims?

Thanks!
AstrellaLunari

Re: Questions Regarding Item Degradation, PClaims, Bell

Postby TotalyMeow » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:48 pm

AstrellaLunari wrote:Hello everyone. :) Thanks for the help! Already loving this game.

1. How long do built items remain on the ground without a personal claim? Does it depend on their value, or are all things equal?

2. Does this degradation happen with houses/items in houses? Does it happens slower? Does the house only disappear if the items within have been taken?

3. It looks like a town bell takes up a huge hunk of space. Would this item be ideal for two-three friends to share space and resources? For example, since I know that I tend to be a sprint player (play a lot for a while then take a break for a bit,) if I founded a town with friends and we all shared in keeping up the bell, is that as good a defense as a personal claim? Or do you still need a personal claim within a town in order to build there? The town bell item looks so big in comparison to personal claims, so might it be the best option for this use? How does alting affect the efficacy of town bell vs. personal claims?

Thanks!

How long things will remain depends on their hitpoints and the random decay ticks. Since it's random, the rate of decay can vary a lot. Generally, an unfinished construction site will decay in a few minutes or hours, a basket or other simple thing will take a few hours or day, something at sturdy as a house can take weeks. Bigger thing DO tend to take more decay ticks though, since they are covering more squares, so that can have an effect too.

Houses will decay and when they finally disappear, everything inside them will land on the ground. They will then start to decay normally. Things meant to only be built indoors, like cupboards, will decay at an accelerated rate.

Town bells are meant to be used in towns, collections of several players living together. Some towns will have a single Pclaim overall, some will have a bunch of individual ones for each player. If you're alone, you don't need a town bell, but some people will get one anyway if they have a lot of obviously expensive structures.

So, if you're doing a lot of traveling, and putting a few things in baskets when you stop to check out an area, you're probably okay. But as soon as you find the place you want to settle, get a Pclaim down. Even a pclaim with no walls will deter some people from rifling through your things and breaking them just for kicks, and keep your stuff from decaying. Don't bother with a house until you have a wall and at least one torchpost.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Nsuidara » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Klin 3-4 weeks (4 klins, one gone 3 was still exsist) :P
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby Chrumps » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:32 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:Don't bother with a house until you have a wall and at least one torchpost.

Actually a locked house on a pclaim is a quite efficient **** defense.
If the claimstone is paid, it is impenetrable for cheap crime alts because it requires either arson or a lot of phlegm to destroy.
Chrumps

Postby AstrellaLunari » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:17 pm

Thank you for your knowledge! I'm not worried about ne'er-do-wells stealing my crow feathers and bugs for the moment, but I'll definitely keep all that in mind.

I guess I was asking about the bell because I'd like to create a crafting area that myself, my friends, and my alts can use. It is possible to give people this kind of access on a pclaim? The wiki isn't incredibly clear on what actually happens if you set down a bell or pclaim. But that's what happens in towns, right? There is a large area that everyone can use? Is the same true of a pclaim, even if it's set as your homestead?
AstrellaLunari

Postby Lansett » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:29 pm

On the pclaim you can define the trespassing/looting/destroying rights for each group/color. Then in your buddy list (ctrl+b) you assign people to a group/color
Lansett

Postby AcidSpiral » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:30 pm

In a PClaim you can set permissions to different color coded kins.

For instance like here you want -White- to never have permissions as anyone you kin is automatically white.

For me here I use Green to give permissions to my alts.

Afterwards just go into your buddy list and click the person you want to change to change their color group.
AcidSpiral
Customer

Postby TotalyMeow » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:33 pm

Yes, you can easily have people put their leantos on your pclaim and all live together. Just don't give permissions to white players as that is the default kin color. I always like to use green for my friends/alts.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby AstrellaLunari » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Thanks a lot, guys. I think we'll go with that, then, since it seems to be less expensive (and less of a target?) than a city bell.

I've been playing most things pretty blind, but since there's so much planning involved in a claim, I wanted to have all the information I could. I don't suppose there's any way to put what you guys said (plus the screenshot, very helpful,) on the wiki? I was looking for quite some time before I finally decided to post the question.

(Edit: Seeing as it's not a "correction," per say, but I think a clarification on the stake claim page would be extremely helpful :)
AstrellaLunari

Return to Help!