Frozen

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Frozen

Postby Kreek » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:43 am

barry_diller wrote:Also Why does a fireplace not work, and the primitive shelter you can make in the beginning? It's completely counter intiutive.

Edit: I imagine this has lead many to turn away from the game, I'm unable to see how you could find the solution on your own by experimenting, which is what I have been doing up until the hyporthemia crippled me. A fireplace should regen heat as so it can act as a temporay solution for the new player, making clothes by research a new skill and then weave reeds is far from the first thing you think about then you are freezing. So yes it's a design flaw

You made an alt account just to agree with yourself?
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.
Kreek

Postby TotalyMeow » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:07 am

barry_diller wrote:Also Why does a fireplace not work, and the primitive shelter you can make in the beginning? It's completely counter intiutive.

Edit: I imagine this has lead many to turn away from the game, I'm unable to see how you could find the solution on your own by experimenting, which is what I have been doing up until the hyporthemia crippled me. A fireplace should regen heat as so it can act as a temporay solution for the new player, making clothes by research a new skill and then weave reeds is far from the first thing you think about then you are freezing. So yes it's a design flaw

The code doesn't currently allow us to make a fireplace or leanto work to heat you up. We're looking at changing that, because adding it will allow us to add quite a few other interesting things related to it that we can't do now, but it'll actually be a major change to be able to do this and so will take awhile. Until then, we've already added a hypothermia help screen in the latest patch that should pop up the first time a player gets the hypothermia debuff, explaining several methods of warming up and staying warm. This should help greatly with people not knowing what to do or what the debuff means.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby barry_diller » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:01 am

Kreek wrote:

You made an alt account just to agree with yourself?

Dude, no I'm another person, how hard is it to imagine that he is not the only new player to face this problem? And its even worse than I thought. The mechanic is even worse than that, I made all the clothing I am capable of making at this level and now my hyporthemia has stopped but it's not improving, so I cant study to gain new skills? So until I find some shelter I'm stuck at this point, I can't proceed. How I am supposed to find the huts I can get warmth in? Am I just supposed to walk for hours until I randomly find one?

(I made all this clothing, but my hyporthemia doesn't improve)

http://imgur.com/a/5wMIK
Last edited by barry_diller on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
barry_diller

Postby barry_diller » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:03 am

TotalyMeow wrote:

The code doesn't currently allow us to make a fireplace or leanto work to heat you up. We're looking at changing that, because adding it will allow us to add quite a few other interesting things related to it that we can't do now, but it'll actually be a major change to be able to do this and so will take awhile. Until then, we've already added a hypothermia help screen in the latest patch that should pop up the first time a player gets the hypothermia debuff, explaining several methods of warming up and staying warm. This should help greatly with people not knowing what to do or what the debuff means.

I doubt that is enough explained by my problem above.
barry_diller

Postby Dallane » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:07 am

barry_diller wrote:Dude, no I'm another person, how hard is it to imagine that he is not the only new player to face this problem?

You know IPs can be checked right? People are finding it hard to believe that 2 people are posting about the same problem because there really isn't much of a problem in the 1st place. You don't see frozen as a issue on here very often if at all.

You really should of read the help screen that came up. It has everything you need to fix the issue your character was put into.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby barry_diller » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:13 am

then check my IP?
barry_diller

Postby TotalyMeow » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:16 am

It doesn't matter if it's the same guy or not, at least they're posting in Help like they should.

The buildings you can enter are all in Providence, you don't have to wander to find them. Just go to town and find one you can enter and warm up a bit. Otherwise, it should be reasonably easy for you to make a clay pot, or buy a copper one, and boil a cut of meat to make broth. Broth will warm you up too.

And if you already have the hypothermia debuff then you should be able to go into the help menu and find the hypothermia help screen which will tell you all these things so you can reference them from in game.

TotalyMeow

Postby barry_diller » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:22 am

I can't make a fish brough etc. because I don't have the sufficient skill to make a pot and due to the hyperthermia I can't study anymore because I can't improve my black bile. That leads me to the only option to find the town, Where is it? Is there any map somewhere?
barry_diller

Postby TotalyMeow » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:26 am

barry_diller wrote:I can't make a fish brough etc. because I don't have the sufficient skill to make a pot and due to the hyperthermia I can't study anymore to get new skills. That leads me to the only option to find the town, Where is it? Is there any map somewhere?

Use your Adventure-->Travel menu to find the Travel ...to Providence option. You'll want to be near your claimed lean-to. Porting from your claim stone or lean-to allows you to keep your inventory, otherwise you have to drop it when porting from the wild. I suggest putting the port to town and port to leanto actions in your hotbar because you'll be using them fairly often.

TotalyMeow

Postby barry_diller » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:33 am

Thanks! I might suggest that the hyperthemia help menu has a reference that you can travel to the capital to get warm and how you do that. It's not explained in the turtorial (or I missed it).
barry_diller

PreviousNext

Return to Help!