Sevenless' Guide to the New World - Now with Community Help

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Sevenless' Guide to the New World-Skill/LA Section Compl

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:19 pm

Might be enough to annoy them and start smashing things just to vent some frustration.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Re: Skills, Proficiencies and Learning Ability

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Sevenless wrote:Study Chestnut 15 - LA 0% - Not consumed if you have a brain

Just want to point out that the displayed percentage is rounded. It is quite possible to study a few more times at 0% depending on the Inspirational. I was able to do one or two more wood choppings past 0% and still get a couple of points out of them. Now, you're only getting a few points, which, quite literally, don't mean jack in the hundreds and thousands you need to raise a proficiency, so the point is moot. You probably shouldn't be studying an Inspirational down past 25% unless it's a common one you can mass produce or find (or are just having a hard time finding variety for a proficiency, like PP or C&D).
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Re: Skills, Proficiencies and Learning Ability

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:28 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Study Chestnut 15 - LA 0% - Not consumed if you have a brain

Just want to point out that the displayed percentage is rounded. It is quite possible to study a few more times at 0% depending on the Inspirational. I was able to do one or two more wood choppings past 0% and still get a couple of points out of them. Now, you're only getting a few points, which, quite literally, don't mean jack in the hundreds and thousands you need to raise a proficiency, so the point is moot. You probably shouldn't be studying an Inspirational down past 25% unless it's a common one you can mass produce or find (or are just having a hard time finding variety for a proficiency, like PP or C&D).

Very much true Magic. The example is simplified on purpose for the understanding how to use inspirations to influence your own playtime. +/- 50 PP is fairly unlikely to ever be important. I'll toss a link to your post just for those who are curious though.

As for Inspiration value, you're absolutely right. In fact, everyone should do a bit of math and avoid using anything below 70% doing a long grind if it's at all possible. There's plenty of cheap low level curiosities to use as variety.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:38 pm

For the PP I needed (for Settling, I think), it was just easier to spam crosses with the one other craftable PP curio (mustache masque, I think) in there, which is kind of my point: it's easier to spam a few cheap curios for some things than trying to hunt down one of the rare ones, especially if you aren't near the right biome, which is why I mentioned the 25% mark. Otherwise, I completely agree that a person should do their best to rotate.

edit: just added the blurb about rounding in case anyone wants to make a more thorough posting for the wiki. Maybe someone can recreate the formula used to depreciate the values of the Inspirationals. I didn't intend for it to be a comment on your post. ;) I really do intend to do this once I get settled, but haven't found a good spot yet.
MagicManICT

Postby GamerZakh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:27 pm

Brilliant guide so far. Do your best to keep the word count as low as possible. I imagine a complete written Salem guide could span hundreds of pages; the more efficient the language the better =)
GamerZakh

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:16 pm

The way everyone says "make sure to keep the language concise!" is starting to seem like a hint that I'm not >.>
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby GamerZakh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:04 pm

Haha, nah it's fine now, I think we're all just concerned that once you're done it'll be massive XD It probably will be anyways, but because you've done such a good job there isn't really anything else to worry about =P That's probably why people are repeating so much.
GamerZakh

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:21 pm

GamerZakh wrote:Haha, nah it's fine now, I think we're all just concerned that once you're done it'll be massive XD It probably will be anyways, but because you've done such a good job there isn't really anything else to worry about =P That's probably why people are repeating so much.

It will be massive, and that should be expected of a game that is sandbox open world, not to mention the social complications added by permadeath. A good way to help handle the bulk was suggested to me for my last guide: the making of multiple posts and using URLs to allow easier navigation. If the guide gets more complete and it's still cumbersome, I can do a much more indepth url linked index if a forum mod feels like helping out.
Sevenless

Postby GamerZakh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:32 pm

Sevenless wrote:It will be massive, and that should be expected of a game that is sandbox open world, not to mention the social complications added by permadeath. A good way to help handle the bulk was suggested to me for my last guide: the making of multiple posts and using URLs to allow easier navigation. If the guide gets more complete and it's still cumbersome, I can do a much more indepth url linked index if a forum mod feels like helping out.

Sounds amazing. Honestly, the work you're putting into this is mind boggling. I wasn't around for HnH, but this guide is sure gonna impress. I would be so bold to ask if my videos could contribute anything to the guide? Perhaps you would like me to create a webpage for it? I'm a designer professionally and a dedicated website might be better for presentation? I'm just looking to help =) it's totally your guide so you should decide what happens to it.
GamerZakh

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:15 pm

GamerZakh wrote:
Sevenless wrote:It will be massive, and that should be expected of a game that is sandbox open world, not to mention the social complications added by permadeath. A good way to help handle the bulk was suggested to me for my last guide: the making of multiple posts and using URLs to allow easier navigation. If the guide gets more complete and it's still cumbersome, I can do a much more indepth url linked index if a forum mod feels like helping out.

Sounds amazing. Honestly, the work you're putting into this is mind boggling. I wasn't around for HnH, but this guide is sure gonna impress. I would be so bold to ask if my videos could contribute anything to the guide? Perhaps you would like me to create a webpage for it? I'm a designer professionally and a dedicated website might be better for presentation? I'm just looking to help =) it's totally your guide so you should decide what happens to it.

PMed :)
Sevenless

PreviousNext

Return to Help!