Player Guides and Tutorials (NEW Episode 11 Out)

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: New Youtube Series

Postby Paradoxyc » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:27 pm

Reviresco wrote:Did you mention that you're not using the default client? I don't want to watch the entire vid again.

Nope let me put that in the description
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby jcwilk » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:34 pm

You might want to try making the video(s) a little more focused... A short video on how gluttony works where you have a very specific example of raising only one humour a few points while explaining exhaustively every aspect of it (why that humor is going up, why it has to get filled, why it gets reduced when you keep using the same foodgroup, how you know it's getting reduced and how to see how much it would give now, etc, etc) would probably be a much more useful video for a wider audience.

This format of video seems like it's mainly useful for people thinking about playing Salem, or have only a few hours put into the game... While there are factoids laced throughout the video useful to many players, it's too time consuming to watch through the whole video to hope to find some new bit of information when it's not really clear at all what the video covers from the title or the description.

If you want to stick with the existing format, maybe it would be useful to list out topics that the video covers in the description, at least? Even better if they have links to the timestamp so they can click it to go to that point in the video (I think this is possible).

Voice is great though, very clear (didn't hear the first version but sounds fine now). I guess the sfx were a bit loud but it didn't bother me. Music was a nice touch, didn't interfere for me.
JohnCarver wrote:This way no matter how bad my day gets, a text message that one of you died to madness always seems to brighten it.
jcwilk

Postby Paradoxyc » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:37 pm

jcwilk wrote:You might want to try making the video(s) a little more focused... A short video on how gluttony works where you have a very specific example of raising only one humour a few points while explaining exhaustively every aspect of it (why that humor is going up, why it has to get filled, why it gets reduced when you keep using the same foodgroup, how you know it's getting reduced and how to see how much it would give now, etc, etc) would probably be a much more useful video for a wider audience.

This format of video seems like it's mainly useful for people thinking about playing Salem, or have only a few hours put into the game... While there are factoids laced throughout the video useful to many players, it's too time consuming to watch through the whole video to hope to find some new bit of information when it's not really clear at all what the video covers from the title or the description.

If you want to stick with the existing format, maybe it would be useful to list out topics that the video covers in the description, at least? Even better if they have links to the timestamp so they can click it to go to that point in the video (I think this is possible).

Voice is great though, very clear (didn't hear the first version but sounds fine now). I guess the sfx were a bit loud but it didn't bother me. Music was a nice touch, didn't interfere for me.

Yep this video was the first, not meant to explain much yet. It's even called "What is Salem?" so that people who have never played can come see what it looks like, how the game in general works, etc. The main point of this video was to explain the game's theme and the next videos will mainly be me playing the game, not exactly tutorials but just kind of living the life of a new player. I will not show every single thing I do, but pretty much just show something that they have not seen yet.
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby shizuka » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:42 pm

jcwilk wrote:This format of video seems like it's mainly useful for people thinking about playing Salem

to me it seems this video is made for someone who decided to give salem a shot.
its not the kind of video that you're gonna share with your friends to make them come to Salem, its the video someone who decided to start playing Salem and doesnt know how the get started (i think)
because to show players how salem is a bit, u'd rather do a video with an already established base, developped character, and show a couple activites to do, that way the viewer can have a general idea of how the game is overwall and what he might be able to do/like within the game, and not how the game is when he STARTS the game, because its less catchy
Darwoth wrote:
wtf shizuka was owning kuku by like 20 votes this morning, looks like the kzerg is cheating and zerging again
shizuka

Postby Paradoxyc » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:43 pm

shizuka wrote:
jcwilk wrote:This format of video seems like it's mainly useful for people thinking about playing Salem

its not the kind of video that you're gonna share with your friends to make them come to Salem, its the video someone who decided to start playing Salem and doesnt know how the get started (i think)
because to show players how salem is a bit, u'd rather do a video with an already established base, developped character, and show a couple activites to do, that way the viewer can have a general idea of how the game is overwall, and not how the game is when he STARTS the game, because its less catchy

Yes I think this is fair, but I do hope when I have more episodes this will be a good series to share with people who have never seen the game :)
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby Ofisat » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:46 pm

Nice first episode! Good voice sound indeed. At this point, new people would probably want to know where to settle, which things you have to think about, and which skills/structures you need to start out with. Maybe you could work that out in next episodes? I agree with the fact that a bit more focussed videos would be better.

Keep up the good work!
Ofisat
Customer

Postby Paradoxyc » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:50 pm

Ofisat wrote:Nice first episode! Good voice sound indeed. At this point, new people would probably want to know where to settle, which things you have to think about, and which skills/structures you need to start out with. Maybe you could work that out in next episodes? I agree with the fact that a bit more focussed videos would be better.

Keep up the good work!

Haha thank you for the feedback. Yes my next episode will probably go over looking for a place to settle along with how to make money along the way (Indian Tracking). Once I get to the area I will explain which benefits your area should have, what you will want to look for, etc. I want to keep the episodes relatively short and edited to keep people interested so it will mainly be short explanation with fade ins to when I have finished the tasks :)

Also anyone with specific ideas please PM me I am open to them :)
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby jcwilk » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:58 pm

shizuka wrote:

because to show players how salem is a bit, u'd rather do a video with an already established base, developped character, and show a couple activites to do, that way the viewer can have a general idea of how the game is overwall and what he might be able to do/like within the game, and not how the game is when he STARTS the game, because its less catchy

Mostly agreed, except that an established base takes many, many hours to get to... Not everyone has time for that, and not everyone will be able to join an existing town, so this kind of video that shows what salem is like for the first 20-40 hours (for the average player, ie, not exceedingly proficient at this type of MMO) is IMO a more honest kind of thing to show someone who is considering getting into Salem. A lot of the time when I've tried to get friends into it they get irritated with how slow the start is, that kind of thing isn't for everyone... But some people (like myself and most Salem junkies) do enjoy this kind of very slow progression escalation.

I guess my point is that while seeing videos of midgame and endgame would definitely be valuable to see so they can see what the light at the end of the tunnel is like, seeing stuff of what the early game is like is also very important for prospective players to set their expectations and these kinds of videos are harder to find... There are already a good amount of videos of raiding and hunting and running around in huge bases.
JohnCarver wrote:This way no matter how bad my day gets, a text message that one of you died to madness always seems to brighten it.
jcwilk

Postby Paradoxyc » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:03 pm

jcwilk wrote:
shizuka wrote:

Mostly agreed, except that an established base takes many, many hours to get to... Not everyone has time for that, and not everyone will be able to join an existing town, so this kind of video that shows what salem is like for the first 20-40 hours (for the average player, ie, not exceedingly proficient at this type of MMO) is IMO a more honest kind of thing to show someone who is considering getting into Salem. A lot of the time when I've tried to get friends into it they get irritated with how slow the start is, that kind of thing isn't for everyone... But some people (like myself and most Salem junkies) do enjoy this kind of very slow progression escalation.

I guess my point is that while seeing videos of midgame and endgame would definitely be valuable to see so they can see what the light at the end of the tunnel is like, seeing stuff of what the early game is like is also very important for prospective players to set their expectations and these kinds of videos are harder to find... There are already a good amount of videos of raiding and hunting and running around in huge bases.

This

I was drawn to the game by both the settlement building but also the limitless cap and exploration possibilities. I will try to make my videos more focused from now on though
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby gorniksam » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:11 pm

Very good voice which is nice to hear (1:44 <3). All this video is made great and this is helpfull for new players. I can't wait for more videos :)
gorniksam

PreviousNext

Return to Help!