Torch Posts and Braziers

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Torch Posts and Braziers

Postby LOMS » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:35 am

torchpost base damage is 2.
LOMS

Postby Taipion » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:10 pm

LOMS wrote:torchpost base damage is 2.

Ok, this far we got "1", "2" and "4" as base damage for torchposts.... any other numbers?! :D
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby TotalyMeow » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:36 pm

Trismegistus wrote:... since all I see is players and TotalyMeow answering defense help questions with "get braziers"...

Actually, my answers always recommend torchposts first because they are quicker and easier and any damaging defense is better than none. Add braziers as soon as you can, but a layer of torchposts is always good because torchposts and braziers use two separate damage calculations.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Taipion » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:29 pm

Ok now, I tested it myself and a TP hits for "2" damage, interestingly, it continues to fire if you get out of range and then back into range.
People who reported dmg numbers other than "2" for a lone TP, was it a mistake or is it possible to have different damage as well?

For the records, a TP crits roughly 5% of the time, doing about 30% dmg to the remaining BB and 15% damage to the remaining blood, which was unexpected, though now I remember I read something like that some time ago.

Also, if i did count right, TPs can have only 300 shots with full ammo, whereas a brazier has up to 1000, that makes TPs kind of vulnerable if you place any near your walls, as an attacker could simply walk out of brazier range and drain the TPs swiftly out of ammo. Why do they have so much lower ammo capacity than braziers?
That makes a early defense only consisting of TPs quite unreliable, though ofc it is far better than nothing.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Trismegistus » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:55 am

Taipion wrote:For the records, a TP crits roughly 5% of the time, doing about 30% dmg to the remaining BB and 15% damage to the remaining blood,

Is this from your recent test or what someone told you? Did you take notice of the RoF for a more precise number?

Taipion wrote:Also, if i did count right, TPs can have only 300 shots with full ammo, whereas a brazier has up to 1000, that makes TPs kind of vulnerable if you place any near your walls, as an attacker could simply walk out of brazier range and drain the TPs swiftly out of ammo. Why do they have so much lower ammo capacity than braziers?
That makes a early defense only consisting of TPs quite unreliable, though ofc it is far better than nothing.

This is an excellent point which I never thought about. I always figured 300 was plenty anyway if building alot, (I currently have 55 TPs surrounding a rectangle which covers about two TP ranges AKA at any point in time a player is in range of roughly half of the TPs) but 1000 sure is better than 300 by any standards.

You're talking about a player accepting the hit of the TP and dodging the brazier, I think. This requires that TPs and braziers are on the same row or column of tiles. Move the TPs back and the ranges begin or end at the same point. However, that does nothing to help in the attack strategy you're talking about. A player can constantly dip in and out of range of the TPs and braziers and not take a single hit if done properly. Multiple columns/rows of defense are clearly necessary for these situations where you have a large plot of land and someone serious wants to come inside. After all, are you protecting your walls, or the things that you have inside your land?
Trismegistus

Postby Taipion » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:40 am

Trismegistus wrote:
Taipion wrote:For the records, a TP crits roughly 5% of the time, doing about 30% dmg to the remaining BB and 15% damage to the remaining blood,

Is this from your recent test or what someone told you? Did you take notice of the RoF for a more precise number?

Taipion wrote:Also, if i did count right, TPs can have only 300 shots with full ammo, whereas a brazier has up to 1000, that makes TPs kind of vulnerable if you place any near your walls, as an attacker could simply walk out of brazier range and drain the TPs swiftly out of ammo. Why do they have so much lower ammo capacity than braziers?

This is an excellent point which I never thought about. I always figured 300 was plenty anyway if building alot, (I currently have 55 TPs surrounding a rectangle which covers about two TP ranges AKA at any point in time a player is in range of roughly half of the TPs) but 1000 sure is better than 300 by any standards.

You're talking about a player accepting the hit of the TP and dodging the brazier, I think. This requires that TPs and braziers are on the same row or column of tiles. Move the TPs back and the ranges begin or end at the same point. However, that does nothing to help in the attack strategy you're talking about. A player can constantly dip in and out of range of the TPs and braziers and not take a single hit if done properly. Multiple columns/rows of defense are clearly necessary for these situations where you have a large plot of land and someone serious wants to come inside. After all, are you protecting your walls, or the things that you have inside your land?

The rate of fire (RoF) is roughly 2-3 seconds, if my alt is not dead by tomorrow (mind you, it's BloodMoon right now...), then I will measure the precise RoF, good reminder!

For your last paragraph I am not really sure what you mean, you can't "dodge" hits, if the TP/brazier uses ammo, you are hit, it's that simple.
I was more thinking of using a lower alt to trigger the defense once and then step back to drain the TPs ammo, which would make it easier for your main attacker to get in, though not much easier if you rely mostly on braziers.
Considering 3sec RoF, it would take at least 15min to empty a TP, not considering that you take a net dmg of 1 per ~3 seconds due to tea, more if you still stand on a pclaim, and you need to regen in between if you dont have like 300+ humors and/or don't take a single critical hit, also more than 1 TP shooting at ya would make this quite more difficult.

Trying to align the range of TPs with braziers is probably doable but not thaaat easy as their range-difference is not exactly full tiles, also it might hinder your base/town-planning to move the TPs that far back as their range is roughly twice that of braziers.
Taipion

Postby Taipion » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:05 pm

*update*

Regarding the RoF, as far as I can tell, it is one shot every 3 seconds, plus the first one is instant.

Therefore one TP has ammo for a maximum of 3*299 = 897 seconds, that is 15 minutes, easily tanked by a halfway decent char with tea, having 2-3 TPs though would be already quite a different thing let alone for the crits.
Taipion

Previous

Return to Help!