can someone explain how sommoning works

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

can someone explain how sommoning works

Postby iambobthepirate » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:29 pm

i've never played an mmo with this type of feature, i've found some into on the subject but it seems that it somewhat assumes people played haven so they don't explain it very thouroughly.

i really have no idea how it works
iambobthepirate

Re: can someone explain how sommoning works

Postby alloin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:08 am

people leave scents behind if they do a criminal activity, with (some of) those scents, you can summon someone. (in an area around their leanto or claim if claimstone is set as homestead)
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Postby iambobthepirate » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:34 am

i get that part but what if they're logged out? it sounded like if you get summoned while youre logged out its automatic death
iambobthepirate

Postby Ass_Kraken » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:37 am

When you find a scent, you right click it and click track. This will add a scent to your inventory and give you the option to Track Claim or Track Perpetrator. (or Track Item if it was theft) When you click on one of the buttons it will show an arrow above your head showing where what you want is located. (Claim is whatever is the criminal's homestead)

This gives you the option to left click the scent and right click in the summonable area once you reach the homestead, and proceed to kill them. This can only be done if the perp is offline or in boston. If offline, the character will just stand there and take the stabs. Or you can track the perp and let you fight them in-game if they don't log out the instant they see you.

Notice: The scent on the ground will last a couple days depending on the type of scent, while the scent in the inventory will last a much longer time. This means you can only track the perp with the scent on the ground, the one in inventory is for summoning only! Before you ask, no, there is nothing stopping the perp moving their homestead once the scent on ground runs out leaving you clueless where they are.
Ass_Kraken

Postby iambobthepirate » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:46 am

thanks kranken,
that's the part i didn't understand.
iambobthepirate

Postby iambobthepirate » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:50 am

on one hand it seems rediculous to me that if i sommon someone who is off line i can kill them(if i have cain and able) anb on the other it seems rediculously easy for the perp to cover their tracks by just changing homesteads.

for those having played with this system does it seem to work out? it just seems wonky to me.
iambobthepirate

Postby Sevenless » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:20 am

iambobthepirate wrote:on one hand it seems rediculous to me that if i sommon someone who is off line i can kill them(if i have cain and able) anb on the other it seems rediculously easy for the perp to cover their tracks by just changing homesteads.

for those having played with this system does it seem to work out? it just seems wonky to me.

Think about it the other way around. Should someone who lives in korea and plays at 4am NA time be able to freely grief/raid and never get killed because he's not online when the defenders are looking to try and get revenge? Due to permadeath and open world pvp some form of system like this is absolutely required.

The scent points to the current homestead. If you're dedicated and have enough scents you can track them where-ever you need to.

The system definitely isn't perfect, and noobs who misunderstand how crimes work can often get themselves summon killed. Sometimes innocently, other times with malicious intent but lacking enough knowledge to defend themselves from rangers. A good base that is well placed and well defended can protect you fairly well from being killed, but with enough manpower essentially any base is destructible at the moment.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby iambobthepirate » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:27 am

thanks seven, i've read your guide btw. really appreciate all the work.
i know summon is explained generally here and there but not much in depth. i guess at some point ill have to make an alt and steal from myself in order to really understand all the fine points.
iambobthepirate

Postby iambobthepirate » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:31 am

one more question if a perp commits a crime can a friend pick up the scents in order to cover his tracks, or will they remain so others can find them as well
iambobthepirate

Postby alloin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:47 pm

iambobthepirate wrote:one more question if a perp commits a crime can a friend pick up the scents in order to cover his tracks, or will they remain so others can find them as well

You can't remove them until they disapear, but you can cover them ;-)
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

Next

Return to Help!