FAQ - Answers to common issues!

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: FAQ - Weird Happenings? Confused? Check Here First

Postby TotalyMeow » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:44 am

Ronch wrote:
Reviresco wrote:Was it above-ground (not in a mine) and not on a claim (personal and/or town claim)? If so, pretty sure it can decay away like most structures.

Constructions will decay inside of mines ?
..My mine is under a separate claim from my homestead claim, will constructions like an ore smelter or boxes inside that mine decay ?

No decay in mines.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Adelewhy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:05 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:
Ronch wrote:
Reviresco wrote:Was it above-ground (not in a mine) and not on a claim (personal and/or town claim)? If so, pretty sure it can decay away like most structures.

Constructions will decay inside of mines ?
..My mine is under a separate claim from my homestead claim, will constructions like an ore smelter or boxes inside that mine decay ?

No decay in mines.

Sounds like someone salvaged it. Maybe a question for salvage should be added since that's a fairly new.
Adelewhy

Postby draggonne1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:35 pm

soooo.... i read the patches... and dont see it... very possible of an oversight on my part, is there a reason when digging, clay and grub now auto drop?
draggonne1

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:09 pm

draggonne1 wrote:soooo.... i read the patches... and dont see it... very possible of an oversight on my part, is there a reason when digging, clay and grub now auto drop?

Now you gotta click to pick them up.
Aparently people boted to aquire grubs or clay (digging at the same spot over and over again).
ZoddAlmighty

Postby draggonne1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:42 pm

ZoddAlmighty wrote:
draggonne1 wrote:soooo.... i read the patches... and dont see it... very possible of an oversight on my part, is there a reason when digging, clay and grub now auto drop?

Now you gotta click to pick them up.
Aparently people boted to aquire grubs or clay (digging at the same spot over and over again).

oh man.... thats a drag!
draggonne1

Postby Chrumps » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:55 pm

ZoddAlmighty wrote:Aparently people boted to aquire grubs or clay (digging at the same spot over and over again).

I do not see how it could prevent botting.
Instead of
Code: Select all
Dig
Drop dirt
optionally drop unwanted stuff

those bots will now
Dig
Drop
Pick stuff (optionally filtering)

All that while preventing human players from getting extra stuff from digging. I'd say the current mechanics rewards botting more than previous, because <<dig-drop in place>> gives more opportunities to pick up stuff from ground than <<dig to max - fill hole elsewhere>> which is what human players would more often do.
Chrumps

Postby Taipion » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:26 pm

Chrumps wrote:
ZoddAlmighty wrote:Aparently people boted to aquire grubs or clay (digging at the same spot over and over again).

Instead of
Dig
Drop dirt

those bots will now
Dig
Drop

All that while preventing human players from getting extra stuff from digging. I'd say the current mechanics rewards botting more than previous, because <<dig-drop in place>> gives more opportunities to pick up stuff from ground than <<dig to max - fill hole elsewhere>> which is what human players would more often do.

I was kind of indifferent to this change until now, but you got a valid point here.

This change benefits digging in place, both manually or however automated, which is in both cases a questionable use case,
and penalizes actual digging for shaping the landscape, where you would not drop the dirt right where you dug it out,
after which you would have to walk back (in time before stuff despawns) to collect anything you deem valuable.

I have no idea what JC has in mind for archeology or other digging related things coming in the future, but this change alone is probably bad.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby draggonne1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:42 pm

Taipion wrote:
Chrumps wrote:

Instead of
Dig
Drop dirt

those bots will now
Dig
Drop

I was kind of indifferent to this change until now, but you got a valid point here.

This change benefits digging in place, both manually or however automated, which is in both cases a questionable use case,
and penalizes actual digging for shaping the landscape, where you would not drop the dirt right where you dug it out,
after which you would have to walk back (in time before stuff despawns) to collect anything you deem valuable.

I have no idea what JC has in mind for archeology or other digging related things coming in the future, but this change alone is probably bad.

its like the onld saying,"it only takes one to ruin it for everyone"... unfortunately i feel like this might be the way JC feels, which i cant blame him... but digging and getting grub at the same time was nice, cause thats how i would replenish myself when altering landscape
draggonne1

Postby Taipion » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:13 pm

draggonne1 wrote:its like the onld saying,"it only takes one to ruin it for everyone"... unfortunately i feel like this might be the way JC feels, which i cant blame him... but digging and getting grub at the same time was nice, cause thats how i would replenish myself when altering landscape

Like Chrumps said it, this does not hurt those that are doing it "wrong", and only those that try to do it right,
so it is not actually a fix for anything.

As I said, I have no idea what JC has in mind for archeology/digging for the future,
and I have no idea how hard it would be to fix it right.
I'd go for something like this:
- have a variable per tile that basically counts how much has been dug out on that tile already, and
- reduce the chance to get stuff for digging the same tile again, less chance the more has been dug on that tile already
(or have that variable per height lvl dug out, so if you dig the same height lvl of the same tile twice, you get nothing, or a much lower chance to get something)
- keep that info only for loaded tiles -> unloading / reloading an area (server sided) refreshs it (to save server resources)
- give back grubs when digging ^^
- have stuff inserted into the inventory again instead of spawning it on the ground
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Previous

Return to Help!