Black Sky getting me down.

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Black Sky getting me down.

Postby Raught19 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:33 pm

I'm new to Salem, got my own little homestead, and I'm REALLY enjoying the game! but theres one issue, the sky. Its black, and kinda gives me headaches after awhile. (Did the same in Runescape) I noticed on the wiki theres pics with blue skies, is there a mod or something that can change the sky to blue?
Raught19

Re: Black Sky getting me down.

Postby baronbowden » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:04 pm

Honestly not sure.

I never have a zoom where I can see anything but ground (gotta get the inspirational you see)

B
baronbowden

Postby Slayblaze » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:45 pm

A few thoughts...

The absence of a sky is sort of a side-effect of using a custom clients's freecam mode, since with the official vanilla client you can't scroll the camera above the horizon - the sky is never visible at all. So you could say that having a sky texture is not an "officially supported" feature since you can't look upwards using the official client. Hopefully this will change in the future...?
-----
There actually IS a sky texture in the game. Its being used as a reflection map which can be seen in water reflection, easily visible especially when on a large body of water where the entire skybox can be seen. One thing you can note is that the clouds seen in this texture is fairly low-res (in the sense it's being stretched across a large area) and probably wouldn't be 'good enough' for an actual sky texture. It works well for the water reflection however.
-----
Since there is no Day-Night cycle in Salem, you could always just say that the black sky is because it's always nighttime. But where are the stars I wonder... I wonder... could this be an ancient mysterious force conspiring to obscure the very heavens?
-----
______
Slayblaze

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:46 pm

This is a side effect of using a 3rd party client. The UI, like much of the game, isn't complete. Loftar does have a discussion on this in the Ideas forum.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby sabinati » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Raught19 wrote:I noticed on the wiki theres pics with blue skies, is there a mod or something that can change the sky to blue?

link?
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Raught19 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:07 pm

sabinati wrote:
Raught19 wrote:I noticed on the wiki theres pics with blue skies, is there a mod or something that can change the sky to blue?

link?

http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Terrain

theres accouple others, but these are best.

The game looks so much more polished with the simple addition of a sky...
Raught19

Postby sabinati » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:15 pm

yeah looks like they were added in post: Rushmik (Talk | contribs) (Crudely edited in a sky to appear semi-natural :P)

I wonder if Ender or APX could make the sky blue...
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Slayblaze » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:34 pm

If you scroll up to the top of this forum page and look at the banner artwork you'll see a cloudy, gray, overcast sky. I would much prefer that instead of an actual blue sky. The gray overcast fits the mood much better than clear blue imo.
______
Slayblaze

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:10 am

Slayblaze wrote:If you scroll up to the top of this forum page and look at the banner artwork you'll see a cloudy, gray, overcast sky. I would much prefer that instead of an actual blue sky. The gray overcast fits the mood much better than clear blue imo.

Someone could make a giant sphere that has the same cloud texture as the water reflections, but it won't work quite right doing that.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Return to Help!