Reason for slow map loading?

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Reason for slow map loading?

Postby Silphatos » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:31 pm

it seems only i am having this issue. though i get a decent connection to stockholm from my country. what is the reason for slow loading of maps?

Silphatos

Re: Reason for slow map loading?

Postby Zou » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:58 pm

What do you mean by 'slow loading of maps'? Also, those speeds aren't very good at all.
Holy Oddipriest of the Oddgod | And so the Oddgod's Master Plan was revealed. Quiver in your chairs!
Zou

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:10 pm

They may not be that good in absolute terms, but it should be more than well enough for playing Salem. :)
loftar

Postby Silphatos » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:15 pm

it is 8 mbit normally but that is what i get from sweden. maybe server not giving me bandwitch because im too far. :/ cant forage this way just stuck in one square.

by slow loading i mean there is a black "Loading..." screen for like 5 minute or forever when i move out of one square.
Silphatos

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:22 pm

It might be that this is related to this thread. Thinking about it from the perspective of this thread, it might be that certain routing paths might have trouble with the burst of map fragments that are always sent in reply to a map request from a client. It might be possible, then, that both of these problems might be fixed by the client telling the server which fragments it already has received and therefore could be elided.
loftar

Postby APXEOLOG » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:49 pm

Man i play Salem through 64kb/s GPRS modem. That's enough (oh, only if you accept 3000 ping, map load time ~ 10 secs per grid, and you cannot do anything while terraforming ofc :D )
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby Silphatos » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:52 pm

loftar wrote:It might be that this is related to this thread. Thinking about it from the perspective of this thread, it might be that certain routing paths might have trouble with the burst of map fragments that are always sent in reply to a map request from a client. It might be possible, then, that both of these problems might be fixed by the client telling the server which fragments it already has received and therefore could be elided.

nah just checked that thread did what they say and still pretty the same. nothing changes. i think im gonna stop playing till open beta with a good client which can defy if it got the fragments or not.
Silphatos

Return to Help!