How to hunt all monsters

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

How to hunt all monsters

Postby Rubberduckbandit » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:35 pm

This is from my personal experience, and has a high success rate for killing mobs with little to no damage to myself. Bring tourniquets, medicine, and splints as some of these give heavy bleed if you are hit to much, and another can break bones, Feel free to toss in your two cents if you have a better method. As per Dallane's request i'll put minimum humors depending on a persons ability to fight said monsters.

It has been brought to my attention that most, if not all of these monsters can be engaged with a properly aimed shot from a slingshot once the monster is agrod, it will usually run in a straight line towards you, when this happens bullrush it so you can assure yourself, an easy stun with 2 pierce attacks, if this doesn't subdue the mob, try fighting it with the methods given below

Cricket (5-10) humors- just stomp it, or hit it with halberd, maybe even a few punches, very simple mob to kill.

Bat (10-15humors) - if you accidentally find a swarm of bats your best bet is to just run in with a halberd and cleave with it, seeing as they have very low hp you will more then likely kill them all, and the halberd allows for you to not stagger while preparing the attack, i would not recommend stomp, as they attack continuously, and will cancel the stomp animation. These monsters are known to agro When fighting them be weary of your neck slot as they can latch on, and drain your blood, if this happens ctrl+left click your neckslot until it comes off

Spider (10-40) humors- This mob can ko you if not careful it has a web attack that holds you in place for a brief amount of time. but in this time the mob can quickly stack up damage, and ko any unwary pilgrim hoping to fight it, a stomp and pierce works well enough, try not to make to much distance as this is when it will spit out webs. It has a fairly slow attack and leaves itself open for a few punches. It is one of the slower moving mobs.

Turkey (15-45) humors - this mob does not run away from you so if you are low on humors, just wait for it to stand still and aim yourself at it to bullrun. and get in 2 pierces, punches, clubs, etc. this mob has low hp and is really no threat. It is however a fast moving mob with random movement patterns, and can ko newer players unfamiliar with Salem's combat.

Rabbit (5-10) humors - just stomp it, or hit it with halberd, maybe even a few punches, very simple mob to kill.

Snake (10-15) humors- Same as the cricket or rabbit, but be cautious as it will poison you on hit and drain your blue bar (phlegm) accordingly, and if not cured eventually, ko you. This monster is known to agro

Beaver (10-40) humors the beaver is one of the first real mobs with any type of significant damage for new players, it has a small bleed which for new players can pose a threat, try to stomp it, and get a pierce in it has very low hp. If you want a safe route just bull-run until you hit it, the stun should be long enough for you to get enough punches, and an uppercut in to kill it. (Has low bleed, and a small stun.)

Deer (30-70) humors - If you are good with a club you can continuously bash it until it dies as this gives it no time to ready an attack, it has a slow attack animation, and a charge that has a chance to break your bones, making your yellow humor 1/3 of it's original values. Try to stay close to this mob and either continuously club it, or stomp, and pierce it, and repeat until it's dead, if you stick close to this monster it poses no real threat.

Cougar (100-150) humors - This is a fast moving animal that can agro from very far away, if struck with it's pounce it has a very long stun, and this lets the cougar inflict several blows, which stacks up bleed, and reel very quickly, Try to get the upper hand and start the fight with a stomp and a pierce. It helps if you are good with the "jump" action as it helps greatly in avoiding the cougars attacks. This monster is known to agro

Bear (100-200) humors - The bear is a mob you need to kill swiftly, and head on, if it agros you do not run as it will roar and give you the fear debuff which quickly drains your black humor bar, and will lead to you koing. Try to start with a bullrun and a pierce then run around, but not to far and wait for it to do an attack, it usually leaves an opening for a stomp, and another pierce after it attacks, and misses, it has a bite which only gets nastier if the fight is prolonged, as every hit the bear gets in raises your reel, which makes you prone to receiving more damage per hit, It also has a stun which is very noticeable, as it gets on it's hind legs and flails it's paws before hitting the ground and stunning anyone in it's radius (this attack can also break bones.)This monster is known to agro

Giant bat (150-300) humors - The giant bat is summoned by feeding a dead bat 3 royal jellies, when it spawns it won't immediately agro so take this opportunity to try to stomp it or get a well aimed bullrush, and a pierce or two, afterwards the trouble begins with it summoning small hordes of bats, if you are in an enclosed area this becomes troublesome, if this is the case switch to a halberd, and cleave the small bats, then go back to focusing on the giant bat, stunning it is your best bet as it cancels it's chance to summon more bats, it hits for a fair amount of damage but is relatively easy to dodge as it has a very small attack range, it has quite a bit of hp so i recommend not fighting it with just a halberd, as this mob only gets more annoying as time goes on.

The next monsters are known to be found only in darkness with the exception of the occasional march hare that may spawn in light, Some of these mobs may permakill if ko'd by them, take extreme caution when fighting these mobs.

Rats (5-10) humors - just halberd they can get agrod fairly far just with the swing, and by the time you actually do the cleave they will be in agro range and you will kill them before they get close to you. If you lack a halberd a stomp works just as well, but the stomp takes slightly longer giving the rat a bigger chance of biting you (this mob gives disease on hit) This monster is known to agro

March hares (75-100) humors - This one really depends, You can shoot rabbits, and if one turns into a march hare just stomp while it's running towards you, and pierce, usually if you are fighting one you should have no trouble minus the bleed, the first two bites aren't so bad as it won't do much bleed damage, it bites, and i have never seen it "charge", it has a slow attack animation so just move a few tiles and wait for its attack after it readies the attack animation just step like 1 tile away and stomp you should have enough time for a stomp and pierce if you do not kill it, just repeat.
(Heavy bleed, bring tourniquets if farming them.) When attacking normal rabbits, there is a small chance of it turning into a march hare, even in providence

Argopelter (80-120) humors - Just let it jump into a tree then run away, then keep running until it runs out of the tree and you are in an area where it cant make any abrupt turns into a tree seeing as if you get close it will run into the nearest tree rather then chasing you. It's somewhat hard to stomp it since it will just run in an opposite direction, if you see it running for a specific tree, and there are no other spots just run in front of the tree and cleave it, it usually takes 2 or 3 cleaves depending on the person, it has very low hp. (It's damage ranges drastically one stick can do 4 another can do 23 i have rarely seen it go past 25) This monster is known to disappear if no trees are around. This monster is known to agro

Hydrukey (100-150) humors - it's fast and moves in a random pattern i haven't really found a proper method to kill one without getting hit since it's movements, are extremely random when it sticks its neck out it stays in place for a brief moment allowing for a stomp, and cleave i recommend fighting this one with a halberd as it rarely stands still except to attack. It only attacks with it's heads, and really has no surprises other then it's fast movement and moderate damage. This monster is known to agro

Wishpoosh (100-200) humors - These are extremely easy, just bull run it and pierce it, then run away and when you see it about to start its run animation, after it's out of the stun from bull run use stomp, it runs very fast so by the time you actually do the stomp animation it will already be right behind you, and most likely stunned, after it's stunned pierce it run away, and repeat the stomp/pierce until it is dead. If you do this right it won't even hit you once. If you hear a song start to play i would recommend just running behind trees and have it bounce around them as it's really hard to stun it from it's spin, and you will usually take some damage this way. (This monster also does heavy bleed, and has a dance like that of a beaver, but much more deadly) This monster is known to agro

Fur fur (150-300) humors - This monster does a huge amount of damage if hit with it's charge so I recommend not even fighting these unless you have a friend with you to bounce agro back and forth.What you want to do is after it's charge it has a slight delay it takes a bit of practice, but you should be able to bull run it, and whoever isn't agrod should be able to get a pierce in, then when agro changes, the other person can do the same.Also works with slingshots, just shoot rocks until it changes agro. (This mob can break your bones and reduce your yellow humor bar to 1/3 of its original state) Bring splints when fighting this mob

Lumberlords- (200-400) They are known to have fear like that of a bear, and can "stun" you by making your characters head get stuck underground. It does a moderate amount of damage, and has a chance to spawn when chopping down trees in darkness. I have experienced argo's actually climbing into trees, and while chopping down the tree it turns into a lumberlord, if this happens run as you have no chance of defeating it as the argopelter continuously stuns you from atop the lumberlord, while the lumber bashes you for insane amounts of damage. This monster agros the moment you spawn it from chopping trees

Quetzacoatl (40-50) - This is a fast moving mob that can constrict you and hold you in place the constrict can break your bones, but can also be broken off if you have a friend attack it. This mob is known to have a bite more deadly than the average snake. Just turn on run and let it chase you until you have enough clearance then turn around and bullrun, then get in 2 thrusts if possible, if that does not kill the snake, just repeat, it has somewhat low health. if bitten, a normal cure will not remove the poison, you need a fang specifically from this mob. This mob is known to agro This mob can break bones

Darkenbear (300-600) This monster is a one hit ko for most pilgrims, it seems to have same attacks as the bear, but with the damage magnified to a higher level, It does about 250 damage to me with over 400 defense in total, so take caution. this monster cannot be outrun, and is hard to fight in a group if any of the players stray to far or the bear decides to change agro, it will max fear you, and teleport you in front of it while stunned, this monster cannot be stunned and your best bet is a halberd or club, it's attacks are somewhat predictable, and during it's "stomp" attack you can just use the jump function to dodge it, and then get in a few clubs or a halberd swing, it takes a while to kill and you will likely need tea as well. I have only killed 3 so far, so more practice is required for a better method

I am aware most of these monsters could be killed at 50- humors if glitched, but I'm writing up a way to kill them without the need of glitching them.
Last edited by Rubberduckbandit on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Rubberduckbandit

Re: How to hunt darkness monsters

Postby Dallane » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:13 pm

Wow this sure is related to HoB :roll: .
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby HasseKebab » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:20 pm

As for Lumberlords, surround the tree with signs before chopping and have a friend with you.
When it spawns just block it into a corner and dps it down. Try to bullrun it too so you wont get shrekt by it's stun.
HasseKebab

Postby Shadeen » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:20 pm

Rubberduckbandit wrote:I actually bothered to write this on someones thread so might as well make a post of it for new players. this is from my personal experience and has a high success rate for killing monsters with little to no damage to myself. Bring tourniquets medicine, and splints as some of these give heavy bleed if you are hit to much, and another can break bones, while the last can cause any type of disease. Feel free to toss in your two cents if you have a better method.

Rats- just halberd they can get agrod fairly far just with the swing, and by the time you actually do the cleave they will be in agro range and you will kill them before they get close to you.

March hares- This one really depends, You can shoot rabbits, and if one turns into a march hare just stomp while it's running towards you, and pierce, usually if you are fighting one you should have no trouble minus the bleed, the first two bites aren't so bad as it won't do much bleed damage, it bites, and i have never seen it "charge", it has a slow attack animation so just move a few tiles and wait for its attack after it readies the attack animation just step like 1 tile away and stomp you should have enough time for a stomp and pierce if you do not kill it, just repeat.

Argopelter- Just let it jump into a tree then run away, then keep running until it runs out of the tree and you are in an area where it cant make any abrupt turns into a tree seeing as if you get close it will run into the nearest tree rather then chasing you. It's somewhat hard to stomp it since it will just run in an opposite direction, if you see it running for a specific tree and there are no other spots just run in front of the tree and cleave it, it usually takes 2 or 3 cleaves depending on the person, it has very low hp.

Hydrukey- It doesn't really do any significant damage and already has somewhat low hp, it's fast and moves in a random pattern i haven't really found a proper method to kill one without getting hit since i only ever hunt them when i want a specific item it drops which isn't very often. Since my humors are at a fair level i just stomp through its attack and pierce it until it dies.

Wishpoosh- These are extremely easy, just bull run it and pierce it, then run away and when you see it about to start its run animation after it's out of the stun from bull run use stomp, it runs very fast so by the time you actually do the stomp animation it will already be right behind you and most likely stunned, after it's stunned pierce it run away and repeat the stomp/pierce until it is dead. If you do this right it won't even hit you once. If you hear a song start to play i would recommend just running behind trees and have it bounce around them as it's really hard to stun it from it's spin and you will usually take some damage this way.

Fur fur- I recommend not even fighting these unless you have a friend with you to bounce agro back and forth.
What you want to do is after it's charge it has a slight delay it takes a bit of practice, but you should be able to bull run it, and whoever isn't agrod should be able to get a pierce in, then when agro changes, the other person can do the same.

Thank you, very nice tips :)
Shadeen

Postby Dallane » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:22 pm

You should add suggested humors for fighting these so someone doesn't roll up with low humors and gets killed.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby HasseKebab » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:28 pm

How into kill a lumberlord

Then proceed to get rekt
HasseKebab

Postby Procne » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:31 pm

HasseKebab wrote:How into kill a lumberlord

Then proceed to get rekt

Posting stuff like this is what makes devs add "surprises"
Procne

Postby Argentis » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:55 pm

I'm sure you could easily make Lumberlords trap using walls instead of signs and just replanting the tree in the middle. A few of those and you can kill a lumberlord everyday while increasing your tree purity.
Argentis

Postby honeymilk » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:22 am

For a bad hunter, if its because of a bad computer with massive lags or you're just simply bad (both cases for me, I blame it on bullrun not working :oops: )- Wishpoosh was a fairly easy kill at 80 biles, marsh hares I could easily deal with at 150 biles without worrying about high bleeds. Argopelter, I dont know- If you're decent at dodging sticks you can probably kill them pre 50 biles even with a small farm setup.
honeymilk
Customer

Postby joshnpk » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:04 pm

I never knew there were so many new darkness mobs, evil turkeys, a monster that's a tree, some phyco looking dear I sore a pic of the other day! I love the mystery that surrounds this game.
I think I have a hat problem.
joshnpk

Next

Return to Help!