Learning Ability

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Learning Ability

Postby Zou » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:49 pm

What is the cap on humours?
Holy Oddipriest of the Oddgod | And so the Oddgod's Master Plan was revealed. Quiver in your chairs!
Zou

Postby jorb » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:58 pm

Zou wrote:What is the cap on humours?

The amount you can reach with a cupboard + inventory full of optimum purity/variance food.
jorb

Postby Zou » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:00 pm

How long till we get a rebalance on inspirationals and skill costs?
Holy Oddipriest of the Oddgod | And so the Oddgod's Master Plan was revealed. Quiver in your chairs!
Zou

Postby jorb » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:01 pm

Sevenless wrote:Very true. It just seems to go somewhat against what haven looked at. Characters were open ended in power. But in this game there's caps you can approach asymptotically. I assume it's intentional, I'm just curious what you think this will do to endgame gameplay. Perhaps more fighting, but warriors will still be incredibly expensive to grind so I'm not sure it'll be much different.

I actually hadn't even thought about the fact that the LA does cap the proficiencies. Much as with food I suspect that the cap will be very theoretical, and not really the main limiting factor.
jorb

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:48 pm

jorb wrote:I actually hadn't even thought about the fact that the LA does cap the proficiencies. Much as with food I suspect that the cap will be very theoretical, and not really the main limiting factor.

As with any "theoretical maximum" in a game, someone is going to find the glass ceiling and hit it. I'm fine with that... I really am, as it's high enough it's not really going to matter too much. At least it isn't the "theorectical max" of overflowing the integer size as in HnH... :p
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby ShadowTani » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:19 am

So far I haven't had much issues with the new system, had to waste a Savage Charm to get Settling though because only common inspiriationals I could make for PP at the time was Captivating Flame (35 PP) and Simple Crucifix (40 PP) which I found too grindy to get 150 PP with under the new penalty system, lol. x3 If the developers decide the current repeat penalty is too strict I would rather suggest adding a technology (maybe call it Creativity ;3) the players can research (can't be enough techs ;3) to reduce penalty a bit. Don't really feel the need for it ATM though. Maybe I start feeling it at higher skill levels (2k+), we'll see, not troubled yet at least. :3
ShadowTani

Postby Sevenless » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:27 pm

jorb wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Very true. It just seems to go somewhat against what haven looked at. Characters were open ended in power. But in this game there's caps you can approach asymptotically. I assume it's intentional, I'm just curious what you think this will do to endgame gameplay. Perhaps more fighting, but warriors will still be incredibly expensive to grind so I'm not sure it'll be much different.

I actually hadn't even thought about the fact that the LA does cap the proficiencies. Much as with food I suspect that the cap will be very theoretical, and not really the main limiting factor.

The theoretical cap no, but the theoretical cap still influences the "realistic" cap that players will work towards. At some point players will just stop grinding because it's not worth making a cabinet of food for a 50/50 shot at 1 gluttony stat gain.

Also: I'm really confused. I was under the impression that LA was per curio. But when spamming devil worts/chestnuts for a low level sugar/spice gain, using a chestnut lowers the gains from devils wort. I don't remember ever seeing this before. How does this system work?
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby LOMS » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:27 pm

jorb wrote:

The amount you can reach with a cupboard + inventory full of optimum purity/variance food.

...not true.
You will never be limited with the size of your cupboard until you have friends to refill your cupboard while you're in gluttory mode. Ha-ha.
LOMS

Postby jorb » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:34 pm

LOMS wrote:
jorb wrote:

...not true.
You will never be limited with the size of your cupboard until you have friends to refill your cupboard while you're in gluttory mode. Ha-ha.

Hmmm. True that. ^^
jorb

Postby Zou » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:12 pm

Oh god that sounds like a terrible way to skyrocket your humours...Fine by me!
Zou

PreviousNext

Return to Help!