Mines

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Mines

Postby Superiodity » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:51 pm

But what to do with those fish?
Most of the recipe's involving fish are pretty meh, only decent thing is that you can get quite a lot of inspirations from them.
Superiodity

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:54 pm

And good sir you have the answer to why I stopped fishing.

To be fair though, the tuna is an excellent food. It's just not worth the cost in iron to get it imo. A dried tuna is on par with a wortbaked warbite for YB I seem to remember.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby masau » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Well...I fish with worms right now (because I've been flattening land and have 20 or so urns full - and more land to flatten), so that's a minimum of 5 clicks (2 for adding bait, one for initiating fishing, and 2 for catching it assuming you get lucky and have options that give +1). But if I fished with bait it would only be 3 for a minimum. But that requires you to get lucky and have +1 options (made more difficult when not focused on getting just one fish type).

@Super: I eat them (I fish just outside of boston and catch mostly angels) so I can flatten more XD . But yeah, more stuff to do with fish would be nice.

Perhaps you could provide an example of a minigame you think would be suitable for mining.
masau

Postby Superiodity » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:16 pm

A slot machine type minigame, you pay bile in order to spin the reels and what you get (or the amount) depends on the 3 matching icons you get, not all of the icons can give good things since some people want a risk factor. (Would also like nudges and holds)
It would provide multiple outcomes to keep it fresh and you'll have good days and bad days depending on your "luck".
The higher purity mines (or however they are going to redo them) can have higher bile cost to spin depending on the purity.

(This is just an idea though, and I realise it doesn't fit into the whole pilgrim theme so it will never be implemented)
Superiodity

Postby masau » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:29 pm

Oh, sorry, the last portion was directed at Droj, not you. I edited in the bit for you. Still, your idea was amusing. I think that would probably get annoying quite fast for miners unfortunately (in addition to being out of place). Slots (or other forms of gambling) in boston would be cool.
masau

Postby Droj » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:37 pm

Sevenless wrote:And good sir you have the answer to why I stopped fishing.

To be fair though, the tuna is an excellent food. It's just not worth the cost in iron to get it imo. A dried tuna is on par with a wortbaked warbite for YB I seem to remember.

You can catch tuna with Seaweed wobblers ya'know! Tuna is great for phlegm iirc

I'd rather have progression over minigames, so the miners keep on mining and become more efficient at what they do! Then again I don't think that suits permadeath style of play, or does it?
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby Superiodity » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:40 pm

Then they'd probably have to add progression for everything "You've hit level 23 in woodcutting!" and the like.
I wouldn't mind that sort of mechanic but I'm guessing most people will hate it.
Superiodity

Postby Droj » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Superiodity wrote:Then they'd probably have to add progression for everything "You've hit level 23 in woodcutting!" and the like.
I wouldn't mind that sort of mechanic but I'm guessing most people will hate it.

The skills that are already there, Mines & Mountains for example. Could have several influences or different ones depending on actual level.
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby masau » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:53 pm

There already is progression? That's what proficiencies and skills are. And as more and more proficiencies start effecting stuff ingame (beyond just what skills you can get), progression will get better.
masau

Previous

Return to Help!