Going Mad

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Going Mad

Postby redfenix514 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Hello everyone. Coming back after about a year. trying to get back into the swing. But the madness system has me shook. in a week, I've gotten 4 madness. I am struggling to get 200 affluence to use the hookah in town. I bought a teddy bear in town and SURPRISE it was cursed. so screw me. Can anyone help me get back to sanity? I've scouted and found no crab on a stick or hanged men around me... just slowly going crazy on my own I guess. Looking for some help
redfenix514

Re: Going Mad

Postby Taipion » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:42 pm

redfenix514 wrote:Hello everyone. Coming back after about a year. trying to get back into the swing. But the madness system has me shook. in a week, I've gotten 4 madness. I am struggling to get 200 affluence to use the hookah in town. I bought a teddy bear in town and SURPRISE it was cursed. so screw me. Can anyone help me get back to sanity? I've scouted and found no crab on a stick or hanged men around me... just slowly going crazy on my own I guess. Looking for some help

1.) make alts, use them alternating between them, each fresh char comes with 48h played(!) time madness immunity (does not count for inherited chars)

2.) a bunch of geodes or other cheap affluence items is no big deal, neither is a teddy, but do not buy them from stalls ^^, gathering savage charms you can get that easily in a few hours depending on how efficient you are

[edit:]

3.) if you remove a madness lvl with tobacco/hookahs, you need to study some 10-20 items immediately, as you will otherwise re-gain the madness lvl within 10 minutes

4.) it is invisible to the client how close you are to the next madness lvl, and the server will (intentionally) not communicate a gained madness lvl immediately, but you can "force" an update by logging in/out properly, or doing anything that directly affects madness, like studying something, you should do that before logging off for the day to take proper measures (sleep with teddy, use hookahs) instead of waking up and only then realizing you gained a lvl

forgot to say, study like 10 inspirationals every hour and you should never gain a madness lvl unless you run into a hanged man or you lick moldy boards. ^^
you can use timers from custom clients to keep track of that one hour, you gain madness lvls roughly every 3-4h and 1 inspi removes 5-10 minutes so do the math, 1h is safe, and way better than trying to study one item every 5 minutes, you'd go mand in real life if you did that :D ...just look at zodd
Last edited by Taipion on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:19 pm

Taipion wrote:Garbage advice

Actuall advice.
1. Try making your own teddy bear. Even if you cannot hunt bears, you could trade bear skins for other resources in game. After you obtain bear skins, i believe it is easy to make one.
2. You gain madness just by being online. Even if you dont do anything that contributes madness gain you will eventually get a level. Try whitling some sticks, that action lowers your current madness .
I found that the best way is to burn some of my excess inspiration over some period of time. Instead of styding stuff all at once, make it a prolonged during your play session.
3. Sleeping in bed for 8h straight should reset your madness counter for that level (Not 100% sure, i forgot).
4.Avoid doing things that contribute to high madness gain over short period of time.
--Butchering without a knife
--Afk digging and getting lots of ´traces of lost colony´
--Dissecting frogs etc
5. If you dont want a hassle of styding , you can always play a trumpet and keep your madness gain in check. But thats very costly, because every note is 1k inspiration.
6. Lots of chores have madness episodes that can be pretty painfull for your character. I suggest you check the possible madness episodes and avoid spam doing those actions.
7. If you are new, its hard for you to actually have lots of developed and diversed characters.. But, having some for dangerous task should be recomended. You could technically have an alt that would grind bones, and even if you gain the madness episode on him (raging *****), which takes away a point of stocks and cultivars you wouldnt care. BEcause that alt will probably just grind bones forever while you do other things on your main.
Edit:
If you want to give actuall advice to someone make an effort. If you want to troll just ***** troll.
Dont be a pretentious turd that wants to sound helpfull and smart but not actually saying anything of value.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby Methuzelah23 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:15 am

ZoddAlmighty wrote:3. Sleeping in bed for 8h straight should reset your madness counter for that level (Not 100% sure, i forgot).
4.Avoid doing things that contribute to high madness gain over short period of time.
--Butchering without a knife
--Afk digging and getting lots of ´traces of lost colony´
--Dissecting frogs etc
5. If you dont want a hassle of styding , you can always play a trumpet and keep your madness gain in check. But thats very costly, because every note is 1k inspiration.

3. Sleeping in a bed will lower your insanity to the level it was when you logged in. So if you never played more than a few hours doing sane things you'd never gain a level, but will only affect madness if you use the teddy bear.

It's fairly easy to get the affluence needed for a hookah set. You could search through the insanity update patch notes, which will have more details of things to avoid/ and things to do to keep madness in check. I've never used a teddy bear except out of curiosity, i wouldn't recommend it unless its a new server situation.

Trumpet is helpful, so is sipping milk, although it wont reduce insanity it will negate all your afk time if you keep the buff up.

Here is the insanity/madness update http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13907

Shoot me a PM with your homestead secret if you want to buy milk, trumpet, bear, or affluence items.
Darwoth wrote:easily the best and longest standing rivalry i have ever had in a single game.Thanks for being a top quality nemesis and group leader on both servers, the best 1v1 pvp opponent i have squared off against as well.
Methuzelah23
Master Carpenter

Postby Taipion » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:22 am

Methuzelah23 wrote:3. Sleeping in a bed will lower your insanity to the level it was when you logged in. So if you never played more than a few hours doing sane things you'd never gain a level, but will only affect madness if you use the teddy bear.

Are you sure that sleeping in a bed for 8h without a teddy bear lowers your insanity?
I think that was removed with the addition of the teddy or closely after...
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Methuzelah23 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:37 am

Taipion wrote:
Methuzelah23 wrote:3. Sleeping in a bed will lower your insanity to the level it was when you logged in. So if you never played more than a few hours doing sane things you'd never gain a level, but will only affect madness if you use the teddy bear.

Are you sure that sleeping in a bed for 8h without a teddy bear lowers your insanity?

Fairly sure, but if you can find evidence to the contrary I will redact it.
Darwoth wrote:easily the best and longest standing rivalry i have ever had in a single game.Thanks for being a top quality nemesis and group leader on both servers, the best 1v1 pvp opponent i have squared off against as well.
Methuzelah23
Master Carpenter

Postby Dallane » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:56 am

You guys seriously need to see a professional. Take a month off.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Taipion » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:10 am

Methuzelah23 wrote:
Taipion wrote:

Fairly sure, but if you can find evidence to the contrary I will redact it.

I don't have it at hand, but iirc JC said something like that, a long time ago... would be difficult to dig up, and would be difficult to test....
Like, you'd need to remove a madness lvl, then study just 1-2 things and sleep 8h then log back in and see if you get a madness lvl within like 30 minutes, repeat that 3-4 times to be halfway sure but still no guarantee.

Maybe there is someone else around who can confirm that it is or is not still working?

I remember JC said something about that after I asked him because I experienced madness gains shortly after logging in after 8h+ sleep on some chars,
you know, the server tells the client upon login (a few seconds later actually, and only if you were properly logged out), but the madness gain was a few minutes later, which would indicate a very insanity bar upon login, and the sleep not reducing it.
Taipion

Postby Methuzelah23 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:37 am

Taipion wrote:yada yada

Great story based on a foggy memory of a thing that may or may not have happened that would be "too hard to test" but I think the OP has some fine answers here already and doesn't need the pedantry. Again OP send me a PM if you need any actual in game help.
Methuzelah23
Master Carpenter

Postby Taipion » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:20 pm

Methuzelah23 wrote:
Taipion wrote:yada yada

Great story based on a foggy memory of a thing that may or may not have happened that would be "too hard to test" but I think the OP has some fine answers here already and doesn't need the pedantry. Again OP send me a PM if you need any actual in game help.

You could have said that in a more civilized tone, and it is relevant to the topic of this thread,
so if there is someone else reading this, and knows the answer... maybe just share it...

dug it up here and here,
he hinted it does not effect insanity at all (without a teddy),
and I asked in that thread because of what I experience myself,
he did not answer it directly though...
Taipion

Next

Return to Help!