Just died - please explain

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Just died - please explain

Postby JohnCarver » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:21 am

I am quite glad you enjoyed your time here. I can't say I have an immediate solution as to when and how to better equip players for the harsh conditions of Salem and its pvp environment. You do have an "Undertaker" in town who allows you to save a portion of your stats for inheritance on the next character. You can also 'inherit' the character and if you are in the same blood line you could bury your last character and pray at his gravestone to more quickly accelerate to your previous status. That all being said, death is harsh and those options don't always seem appealing directly after a loss.

Perhaps you will join us for the next expedition better equipped with the knowledge of Locks!
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Bjebr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:36 am

JohnCarver wrote:I can't say I have an immediate solution

Put a public anvil in town , making locks will be way easier / faster !

For our base we wanted to make the locks before the mine/iron stuff. it was too expensive , so we make the mine first and the first 3 batch of iron made the anvil and the locks.

Bjebr
Bjebr

Postby Rifmaster » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:10 pm

Expeditions also weren't exactly made for starting your first character in. Perhaps the warning that says so in the server selection upon leaving tutorial should also flash in rainbow colors and the narrator should repeat it a couple of times?
Rifmaster

Postby Judaism » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:17 pm

Oh also for your information since you build most of your stuff inside your mine, doing so allows a very easy time for the raiders anything which happens in there is not a crime and therefore easy.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby catote2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:45 pm

If I should offer any suggestions about what would be a good way to deal with risk-reward and finding a balance for old and new players, it would be like:
- taking a risk and paying the penalty is fine. So when I engaged a deer and was knocked out, that's fine.
- if I decide to leave property un-defended, because it's faster that way, and someone steal it, that's fine.
- if I decide to engange in combat with players and permadie, that's fine.
- when I permadie after 50 to 100 hours of game play, every time I fail to understand one game mechanism, that's too hard. It's simply too much time invested per level of learning. So some kind of a feedback method is necessary. Even *faster* kills when you fail would be preferable, so the loss of time would be smaller.
- particularly when part of the player base are obviously dedicated to killing, so basicly you WILL die once you're discovered one way or another. Had my current base been locked properly, Im sure that'd been many others ways to carry out a kill. If for no other reason, then because everybody have to leave the base in order to progress.
catote2

Postby Rifmaster » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:26 pm

catote2 wrote:If I should offer any suggestions about what would be a good way to deal with risk-reward and finding a balance for old and new players, it would be like:
- taking a risk and paying the penalty is fine. So when I engaged a deer and was knocked out, that's fine.
- if I decide to leave property un-defended, because it's faster that way, and someone steal it, that's fine.
- if I decide to engange in combat with players and permadie, that's fine.
- when I permadie after 50 to 100 hours of game play, every time I fail to understand one game mechanism, that's too hard. It's simply too much time invested per level of learning. So some kind of a feedback method is necessary. Even *faster* kills when you fail would be preferable, so the loss of time would be smaller.
- particularly when part of the player base are obviously dedicated to killing, so basicly you WILL die once you're discovered one way or another. Had my current base been locked properly, Im sure that'd been many others ways to carry out a kill. If for no other reason, then because everybody have to leave the base in order to progress.

Actually few people would, at the moment, break into (or even bother with) what i assume was a stone walled base of a noob had the gates been locked, so you won't really necessarily die once you have been discovered.
Secondly, after what you claim was 50 to 100 hours of gameplay, you should know what a lock is, ESPECIALLY considering locksmithing takes like 14 h&n or something really low like that, and also unlocks really early.
Thirdly, I'm assuming you were playing concorde, which is very pvp oriented and not meant for players that dont have a firm understanding of most game mechanics.
Rifmaster

Postby Paradoxyc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:42 pm

catote2 wrote:Thanks for replying so quick. So that's perhaps 100 hours of otherwise fun gaming down the drain for not learning the game properly.
I will buy a few things in the shop to support the developers. Great work, but too evil I guess.

Check out my YT channel, I have a couple tutorials including Locks and Keys. You can also find these videos on the Help section of the forum
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby Ronch » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:33 pm

catote2 wrote:Thank you. Allow me to say, it's a magnificant game you have developed. The crafting aspect is deep. And the idea of a hostile environment is fine. I play Xcom2 on hardcore for instance. But Im also 50 years old real life, so I dont even attempt to compete in PVP, and thus seek the crafting route. And that might not be such a good idea in a game with dedicated PVP'ers hunting in packs and with full knowledge of game mechanics. Because you have no safe zone and will fail on technicalities one way or another.

Just one observation: in other games with hard penalties like permadeath, you can quickly get a feel for the risk you take and thus decide if rewards is worth the risk. Not so in Salem, where you play 10, 50 or 100 hours, before the enemies arrive, and you get feedback. Like death. OK I didnt know about locks. But if I had, then there would probably have been something else I hadnt known about etc.

I was surprised to find a free game of this magnitude. So I have supported it, and my killers can have fun dancing around my scarecrow :=)
Hope to see you in the future. By all means invite me again, if you have a game with room for less experienced players.

Hi catote2,
As you already know this game is freaking awesome fun to play.

You articulate very good points about most new player's experiences in the game.
I am a new player also, and lost my Main character last week too. For new players death in the game is initially traumatic, but I did not expect recovery via the inheritance feature to raise the stats and proficiencies of a new descendant-character so quickly, meaning it isn't as bad as it sounds or looks.
...Locks are essential as is watching various tutorials on youtube, and searching or browsing the forums here.
You can also pick up a friend on the forums and haunt them with pertinent questions inside the game as issues arise in your game-play once you add that or those friends to your kin-list inside of the game.
...An 'official' mentor or similar system update introduced into the game with rewards or attractive perks to experienced players who would be willing to cover a certain amount or number of new players with their knowledge-wings via kinship would be a damn good idea towards keeping even more new players in the game.
(I have noticed an average of about 50 new players playing this month alone since I began playing last month)

I have two bases going in the game now, the newest one is in a large village/town that I was invited to join, it is already populated with very, very extremely experienced players (that is another option for you too).
But I really brought this note up to invite you to join me in my solo base which is rather large, and seeing that we are both in the same RL age range, we also might get along quite well too. I don't have as much of a trust issue concerning that base as I did before I joined the mentioned village now and began building my second base there.

Anyway, either way I only posted on your thread to encourage you to stay in the game, and to point out that recovering from death in this game is or was not as difficult as I (or most new players) thought or supposed it would be.
Honestly you will regret leaving now and wasting current opportunities to learn and grow your characters now rather than later when the game's population grows and fills the existing landscape.
...If you are interested in joining me in the game send me a PM here on these forums and then we will set up kinship in game.
My solo base is semi secure (with three layers of defense and locks) and it is large enough to harbor and generously accommodate several more solo players... no rules either, if you abuse me or the base via features in this game, I will repay you via features in this game quickly and probably persistently too.
..Or, I can introduce you to my new village friends if you would like, they will more than likely jump at the chance to bring you into their fold too.

Again, youtube videos have been not just a big help to me in this game but also an encouragement offering incentives in knowledge enabling me to take on features in the game that become available to players as they level their proficiencies.
I suggest either the videos already offered by a player here on your thread, or any other one that is sharp enough to compile them in a (compiled) tutorial format on youtube which makes it much easier to browse it by subject/topic.

This game is freaking awesome fun, I am still enjoying every minute in it !
Last edited by Ronch on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby lachlaan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:46 pm

A mentor system already exists in-game. If you give me stuff I'd otherwise despise farming myself I will advise you on the in-game mechanics I am familiar with, and at least try to guide you towards solutions for ones i'm not familiar with. Keep in mind most of the more experienced players know how to get stuff in a more efficient manner than yourself so you'll have to work your butt off to get someone's interest.
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby gustavohvg » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Ronch wrote:...A mentor or similar system with rewards or attractive perks to experienced players who would be willing to cover an amount of new players with their knowledge-wings via-kinship would be a damn good idea

Many of us already mentor people. In general a good post presenting yourself (like he did on this thread) and asking help will suffice to receive a PM recruiting a char for a town with some people mentoring
Main char: Alcabitus
gustavohvg

PreviousNext

Return to Help!