Butterfly collection

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Butterfly collection

Postby Carca » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:20 am

Can anyone tell me how many butterfly types there are?
Also do different inhabit different biomes or are they just random everywhere?

Does having more Conservatories and/or Bee Skeps in range of fruit trees improve their chances of bearing fruit? Or do you just get the same chance with just one Skep? Is there a limit to how many fruit trees a skep or conservatory can cover?

One last thing - Can worms, snails etc. eat stuff if you store them in your inventory or backpack or only when they are in containers?
Carca

Re: Butterfly collection

Postby MaxPlanck » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:09 am

I don't know if having skeps+conservatories gives a higher chance to produce fruit but I do know that if a tree gets activated by a conservatory then it won't gain purity because they do not have any purity to give to the tree. But if you don't have purity bee skeps either then feel free to use both like crazy.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby DarkNacht » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:21 am

JohnCarver wrote:The tree will run its pollination probabilities based on the skep with the highest workerbee counts. But it will change its purity based on a random purity derived from all skeps in range. Best to only leave your highest pure and highest workerbee skep in range of a fruit tree once it blossoms.
DarkNacht

Postby Carca » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks for the replies - I'll move the conservatories out of the area, the two Skeps I have are almost equal so I'll leave them both there. I've had a couple of my new trees bear fruit since I posted with 5% and 6% purity.

Can anyone help with the other questions?
Carca

Postby TotalyMeow » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:57 pm

Carca wrote:Can anyone tell me how many butterfly types there are?
Also do different inhabit different biomes or are they just random everywhere?

Does having more Conservatories and/or Bee Skeps in range of fruit trees improve their chances of bearing fruit? Or do you just get the same chance with just one Skep? Is there a limit to how many fruit trees a skep or conservatory can cover?

One last thing - Can worms, snails etc. eat stuff if you store them in your inventory or backpack or only when they are in containers?

There are 16 butterfly/moth types in Salem. They are random with regard to biome, but a certain set can only be found in the light, while the others can only be found in the darkness.

Worms and Pythons will eat anything above, below, or to the sides of them in any container, including your inventory.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Carca » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:18 am

Thanks Meow - that explains why I can only find 8 butterfly types.
Carca

Postby Taipion » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:47 am

TotalyMeow wrote:There are 16 butterfly/moth types in Salem. They are random with regard to biome, but a certain set can only be found in the light, while the others can only be found in the darkness.

Thanks for that info! :-)

Does that also count for butterflies made from caterpillars, or only for what you can catch in lightness/darkness?
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby TotalyMeow » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:55 am

Taipion wrote:
TotalyMeow wrote:There are 16 butterfly/moth types in Salem. They are random with regard to biome, but a certain set can only be found in the light, while the others can only be found in the darkness.

Thanks for that info! :-)

Does that also count for butterflies made from caterpillars, or only for what you can catch in lightness/darkness?

I think the caterpillar butterflies still only come out as monarchs. John didn't mention changing them when we added flying butterflies and I've never bothered hatching one out.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Reviresco » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:55 pm

I got several kinds of moths and butterflies from feeding caterpillars until they became cacoons in early 2016. Not sure if it was later broken.

As far as catching butterflies and moths, the monarch butterfly and dreamy dusk moth are the most common, and the spring azure butterfly and beef whistle moth are the most rare.

In my personal experience, the beef whistle moth is VERY rare.
Reviresco

Postby Kandarim » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:16 am

I'm unsure about the light/darkness thing. When butterflies were released JC held an event with a prize to the first one to catch all 16. I hunted them around my deep darkness base and was able to get 15 out of the 16 types in a bit under an hour. I never got the last one, so maybe that one is light-only? Or maybe it got changed after the release?
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Next

Return to Help!