New player joining

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

New player joining

Postby Joar79 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:46 pm

I fell head over heals into this game. I have been following Salem quite a while, but every time I tried it I got stuck and quit. Never even got out of the docs or tutorial. But now I now the game have progressed a lot and I managed to finish the tutorial, and got my brother hooked also. And we absolutely love it. Found a nice place to settle down also. And build us a house and got things running. Even bought some ground. I could not have made all this without the youtube video I found 'Beginners guide to Salem' It was pretty new. (dont remember who posted it) but it was great. It is a really hard learning curve in the start. And not everything is as obvious as it should have been. But damn it is much better than the first times I tried. But If you get over the first couple of days then its getting more obvious and a lot more fun! I notice A LOT of upgrades on the game since I try to find guides for things and so much has changed since the guides was made. And that I love even more. So the guides and wiki is missing a lot of stuff, and you have to find it out yourself. Both annoying and fun at the same time. (But I hate when even the inn-game tool tips are wrong.) Where do I report bugs? Is there any place I can see what the developers are working on now? What is coming? I found the roadmap, but something more detailed maybe? I follow Salem on twitter, but there is very little info. How many are working on this game? I would love to see it get out of beta. I'm already supporting by buying silver. :)

Thanks for a great game.
Joar79
Customer

Re: New player joining

Postby Dallane » Thu May 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Joar79 wrote:I fell head over heals into this game. I have been following Salem quite a while, but every time I tried it I got stuck and quit. Never even got out of the docs or tutorial. But now I now the game have progressed a lot and I managed to finish the tutorial, and got my brother hooked also. And we absolutely love it. Found a nice place to settle down also. And build us a house and got things running. Even bought some ground. I could not have made all this without the youtube video I found 'Beginners guide to Salem' It was pretty new. (dont remember who posted it) but it was great. It is a really hard learning curve in the start. And not everything is as obvious as it should have been. But damn it is much better than the first times I tried. But If you get over the first couple of days then its getting more obvious and a lot more fun! I notice A LOT of upgrades on the game since I try to find guides for things and so much has changed since the guides was made. And that I love even more. So the guides and wiki is missing a lot of stuff, and you have to find it out yourself. Both annoying and fun at the same time. (But I hate when even the inn-game tool tips are wrong.) Where do I report bugs? Is there any place I can see what the developers are working on now? What is coming? I found the roadmap, but something more detailed maybe? I follow Salem on twitter, but there is very little info. How many are working on this game? I would love to see it get out of beta. I'm already supporting by buying silver. :)

Thanks for a great game.

The wiki has recently been rehosted so you will see alot more information on it soon.

Other than the roadmap you won't really get too much info on what they are doing outside of the sneak peek threads john will make.

You can report bugs in the bug forum or send a PM to john.

Right now we know that there are 3 main people working on the game with various other people/players being outsourced for art and loftar helping out now and then on code.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Argentis » Thu May 28, 2015 3:23 pm

Glad to have you in the community. I'll wait for you to get killed in the near future though before welcoming you fully within our hardcore community ;p
Argentis

Postby TotalyMeow » Thu May 28, 2015 5:27 pm

Truth be told, we don't know what we're going to do in the future half the time. Someone will say something in the Ideas section and John will get all worked up over it and next thing you know there's a whole new mechanic coming out we didn't even have plans for. Otherwise, the roadmap is really about as complete as it can be, we're really almost done with major updates so the information in it IS sparse.

If you really want to try to figure out what we're doing next, read the Ideas and Innovations section and look for the threads where devs are commenting. And watch for sneak peaks in the City section.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Rubberduckbandit » Thu May 28, 2015 7:51 pm

You have the right attitude, if you'd like i'd be more than glad to give you and your brother a relatively safe place to live.
Rubberduckbandit

Postby Joar79 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:13 pm

Thanks for all the answers. One quick question. How do I make bonemeal out of Bone, or fishbone? I have made a grindstone, but I cant seem to interact with it in anyway?
Joar79
Customer

Postby TotalyMeow » Thu May 28, 2015 11:16 pm

There's a recipe. Right click on the grinder and use the recipe just like when cooking over a fire.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Joar79 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:20 pm

Ah, found out. Again not as obvious as it could have been. It had its own recipe.
Joar79
Customer

Postby Joar79 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:20 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:There's a recipe. Right click on the grinder and use the recipe just like when cooking over a fire.

That was fast, thanks :)
Joar79
Customer

Postby Joar79 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:40 am

How do I remove a farm? Tried throwing some salt on it, and it changed color. Do I just have to wait?
Joar79
Customer

Next

Return to Help!