Salem-Wiki Tribe Endorsed

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Salem-Wiki Tribe Endorsed

Postby Mereni » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:18 pm

Kandarim wrote:A specific question from someone just entering mediawiki editing: the order we pass parameters in shouldn't matter, though? Should it? I gathered from my reading that named parameters to templates can be passed in any order. Hence the order you require should only need editing once - on the template page.

You are right. The wiki doesn't care if you have Arts & Crafts at the top of the list or the bottom or somewhere in the middle, if you tell it to put Arts & Crafts at the top of the page, it will, no matter where it is on the list. However, what if Arts & Crafts becomes Fingerpainting & Carving in the future? You have to go through the whole wiki and everywhere Arts & Crafts was, you have to paste Fingerpainting & Carving over it in its place. If you have to search the list every time because there's no standard where in the list it is, you're going to take longer, be more frustrated, and make more mistakes. If it's always in the same place on the list every time, it's easier for YOU.
Mereni

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:52 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't mediawiki work as a transactional database? There should be find and replace tools in cases where you are replacing all of a specific instance or phrase that will maintain the revisioning information and such.

I've not gotten in so deep as some of this, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Murphy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:36 am

This thread has sadness in it :(

See you around Mereni and thanks for all you've done for the community!
Murphy

Postby Kandarim » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:12 pm

Kandarim wrote:I have an additional question for mediawiki-read people: is there no easy solution to, e.g. the artifact template, which for some reason requires that all old artifacts -without a spellpower field- also explicitly list the fact that they give no spellpower?

As far as I googled, using {{{Spellpower|}}} instead of {{{Spellpower}}} should do the trick, but it doesn't seem to.

It seems this just needed some propagating throughout the caches for the wiki - looks like this DID fix the issues.
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby Icon » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:03 pm

I can't find where to sign up on the wiki. :| anyone?
Icon

Postby JessicaTheRipper » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:05 pm

Mereni wrote:There are a few of you who have been pretty active in pointing out wiki errors and things that need adding. If you want to instead have the ability to edit the wiki yourself, please PM me and I will see about getting you an account.
JessicaTheRipper

Postby Icon » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:09 pm

Ahh, that's why :D ty much
Icon

Postby pistolshrimp » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:58 am

If anybody is looking for something to do on the wiki. We need pages for the Hunter Pack, Chef's Pack and associated unique items. Apothecary Splint. Isle of Nod, Limer's Front. If not, I'll get to them, just not right away.
pistolshrimp

Postby Gernot » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:32 pm

About a small error in the farming / agriculture page, my field influences were 100 / 80 / 15 / 0 and I got egyptian cotton. The page entry says influence 1 is indian, 2 is egyptian. Maybe it would be clearer to actually state with each tier 2 product what influence it really requires (in brackets or so).
Also, Corn growth time seems to be 3 days, not 4.
Gernot

Postby bashnagdul » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:35 pm

the wiki is correct. the tier 3 takles the places of the higher of the 2 bars
so in this case the tier 3 takes the place of Bar 1, which is indian cotton, the rest is tier 2 which is then the other bar, bar 2 in this case, and thus egyptian. this is actually described properly eslewhere in the farming article.
as for corn, it may or may not be 3 or 4 days, im not certain, but i thought 3 days was for baby corn, 4 days for proper corn.

edit: now that i read it again for checking, it seems he is correct, it sdayd that the tier 3 takes the lower of the 2 influence bars.
something needs to be tested/checked here :)
bashnagdul

PreviousNext

Return to Help!