Publicity

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Publicity

Postby MycroSparks » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:15 pm

Ok,so this has been bothering me for quite a while. This game might be in the top 10 best games currently out there, the idea is brilliant and the execution may not be perfect, but it's still amazing considering the budget the developers have. But, the game has no publicity at all, it seems people just randomly tumble across it and there is no hype about it.

Id like to know, is this purposely? I mean, from talking to lots of people I've learned that they don't care about the amount of people that play the game, they're quite content with the current amount...

If not, I am in contact with a few youtubers that usually get around 100k views reviewing indie games and usually contribute to the publicity a lot, what I'm asking for is a blessing to ask a favor from them here, should i? The youtubers I'm talking about are Northernlion, JSmithOT and a few more with less views... Now this may not end up being anything major, but I think if we all unite we can bring this game above the ground and bring a nice cashflow for future updates.

I love this game,I really want it to succeed, It will keep my dream of becoming a developer after i finish college alive, seeing that good games get rewarded properly I mean :D
MycroSparks

Re: Publicity

Postby colesie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:20 pm

There's no point in advertising Salem at the moment. Anyone who discovers it will play for 10 minutes, get bored, quit, and then ***** on youtube/MMO websites/to their friends and it will only hurt Salem

Also, with such a small dev team and no income there is no way for Seatribe to advertise in any meaningful way
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby MycroSparks » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:23 pm

colesie wrote:There's no point in advertising Salem at the moment. Anyone who discovers it will play for 10 minutes, get bored, quit, and then ***** on youtube/MMO websites/to their friends and it will only hurt Salem

Also, with such a small dev team and no income there is no way for Seatribe to advertise in any meaningful way

People that watch these indie channels are actually quite into games like this. I mean, the dude plays games like Mario, Teleglich (which graphics from 40 years ago) and so on. Even if most people wouldn't stick around, out of let's say 50k viewers,we might get 1000 standard players.

And for the part about them having no money to advertise,that's exactly why I want to do this. It's time for the community to return something to the game we all love and play. Some of us don't have money to support them, but I'm willing to bet if we all chip in, we can bring a decent amount of publicity. Publicity always leads to more publicity too.

It can't hurt to try ?
MycroSparks

Postby staxjax » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:26 pm

All previous attempts of advertising by Paradox have failed miserably. Most noteably, while we were in closed beta Jorb and Paradox did a tour of the US and hit up all the popular MMO websites and then they gave out 10s of 1000s of beta keys, and people were ***** raging all over the interwebs about how ****** of a game it was. The game is much better now, but I still think that any attempts at advertising Salem before the product is close to complete would be futile.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby MycroSparks » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:29 pm

You do make a fair point,and that information is sad, but if shown in a positive light by a youtuber that people listen to, they might give it a shot. Northernlion always focuses on the good things in a game and people tend to listen. We all know that most gamers are retards who play COD and turn their brains off, but we should try something, I'm fairly sure that NL will like the game and recommend it to people. He made Binding of Isaac what it is today kinda, the game is good, but Salem is deeper :)

I just can't stand and watch the game get no publicity, it's a great game and you can see that the developers created it with passion, which is rare these days :/
MycroSparks

Postby colesie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:30 pm

MycroSparks wrote:
colesie wrote:There's no point in advertising Salem at the moment. Anyone who discovers it will play for 10 minutes, get bored, quit, and then ***** on youtube/MMO websites/to their friends and it will only hurt Salem

People that watch these indie channels are actually quite into games like this. I mean, the dude plays games like Mario, Teleglich (which graphics from 40 years ago) and so on. Even if most people wouldn't stick around, out of let's say 50k viewers,we might get 1000 standard players.

And for the part about them having no money to advertise,that's exactly why I want to do this. It's time for the community to return something to the game we all love and play. Some of us don't have money to support them, but I'm willing to bet if we all chip in, we can bring a decent amount of publicity. Publicity always leads to more publicity too.

It can't hurt to try ?

There are currently 37980 registered users on this forum. This is not including the registered members from the old Paradox forums. Of all of these registered users, less than 100 have stayed. So 1k out of your 50k is hilarious at this point.
Beep Boop Bop
colesie

Postby staxjax » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:32 pm

In the case of Salem, you can't only focus on the good. If you do that, then you would leave your viewers in the dark about the most important aspects of the game. That was the problem before. Everybody is like "oh wow crafting mmo, sweet, gonna farm me some taters." And then they were like WTF IS THIS **** SOME DUDE RANDOM COME OHKO ME AND BROKED MINE WOODEN BOX AND TOOK ALL MY TATERS!

staxjax

Postby staxjax » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:35 pm

And then all of us on the forums are like 'rofl noob, gtfo'. Then they rage on their favorite MMO website. Go look at MMORPG.COM there is one thread, its ***** hilarious.

staxjax

Postby colesie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:35 pm

All them poor taters Image
Beep Boop Bop
colesie

Postby staxjax » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:38 pm

Here I found the thread I was talking about...this is the kind of publicity that Salem gets:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game ... mpany.html

dat sevenless, rofl

staxjax

Next

Return to City upon a Hill