Publicity

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Publicity

Postby jwhitehorn » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:08 pm

MycroSparks wrote:The game start is as good as It's going to get in a while. The sooner the developers get some income, the better the game will be in the end. Even if this only contributes 5000 people playing, maybe 100 of them donating, it will mean 1000$ for them, and with 1000$ you can spend an entire month developing. It's better then nothing. And they'll still know about the game after they leave,hell,i left the game, came back and am enjoying the game and the new updates. If there were more updates, more people would come back too :)

The current rate of development has absolutely NOTHING to do with finances.

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
jwhitehorn

Postby Darwoth » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:08 pm

publicity is not bad, but at this point it would kind of be like blowing your load in the ***** and then seeing the vastly hotter chick on the way out :lol: wait until the game is more polished before trying to plug it to another large audience.
Darwoth

Postby MycroSparks » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:13 pm

jwhitehorn wrote:
MycroSparks wrote:The game start is as good as It's going to get in a while. The sooner the developers get some income, the better the game will be in the end. Even if this only contributes 5000 people playing, maybe 100 of them donating, it will mean 1000$ for them, and with 1000$ you can spend an entire month developing. It's better then nothing. And they'll still know about the game after they leave,hell,i left the game, came back and am enjoying the game and the new updates. If there were more updates, more people would come back too :)

The current rate of development has absolutely NOTHING to do with finances.

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe

Are you sure about that? I mean, if they got enough money for living from the game, you think they wouldn't focus more time into development?

And alright, I wrote for them to stress out that the game is in beta. Knowing a bit of how they do their job, I'm pretty sure they will come back later and review the game again once it's out, they did that to all beta games they reviewed :)
MycroSparks

Postby Champie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:26 pm

Darwoth wrote:publicity is not bad, but at this point it would kind of be like blowing your load in the ***** and then seeing the vastly hotter chick on the way out :lol: wait until the game is more polished before trying to plug it to another large audience.

I agree with these sentiments. It seems Jorbtar is patient with their creations. While it may be frustrating to see such low population stats, it appears to me that the next level of success for Salem comes at the price of time, not under pressure of commoditization.
Champie

Postby staxjax » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:40 pm

lol, I'm quite sure that a global help channel would do more harm than good to the noobs in a game like this.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Potjeh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:38 pm

MycroSparks wrote:
Potjeh wrote:Тhe game needs some changes to make it a bit more social (ie easier for newbies to find a join a town, and for towns to benefit from them) before you can get a meaningful percentage of people who try it to stay.

Brilliant! The idea is actually what the game lacks! There are so many MMO-s out there and they all have a global chat, and if not a global chat, at least channels for new players. I remember starting fresh on a few games like Mortal, City of Heroes and so on, the only thing that help me stick with the game was the "Help" channels. The wiki is useful, but I doubt that all people will go straight to it, and Salems tutorial is pretty weak. Getting into the game is hard, that's why I recommended the people i asked favors from to watch "GamerZakh-s" videos first before reviewing.

But yeah, definitely. I wouldn't mind a Help channel, hell, Id even answer 100% of the questions noobs ask there if anyone would have a problem with doing that.

No, I meant something more along the lines of making newbies contribute to town while blundering about. Stuff like stalls that buy materials (hay most likely), or player created "quests" (like paving an area). The idea is to turn newbies into a resource rather than just foraging competition, so established players are more inclined to protect and educate them rather than to exterminate them. Of course, these interactions need to be localised (ie those stalls should be in player towns rather than Boston) so established players don't take the best from both worlds by exterminating local foraging competition and buying stuff from distant newbies via Boston.
Potjeh

Postby TeckXKnight » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:09 pm

Darwoth wrote:publicity is not bad, but at this point it would kind of be like blowing your load in the ***** and then seeing the vastly hotter chick on the way out :lol: wait until the game is more polished before trying to plug it to another large audience.

While I disagree with the analogy, the sentiment is absolutely correct. You have a finite userbase that you can sell this game to; if you present this game in a state that turns players off, then you exhaust that playerbase for no real reason. Throwing out a ton of publicity while the game still needs vast amounts of development will only serve to harm it in the long run in exchange for a very short term gratification in that the server numbers will go up a blip.

As Potjeh said, if the game were more social and accessible it'd go a long way to making players help each other and stick around.
Once the core mechanics are refined a bit (Gluttony), more town options are added, siege/combat is improved, and we see some movements towards making the game possible to join into, then we watch as it grows itself. Honestly once these things are done we won't need publicity as a crutch to get small drives of players because people will be recruiting from every pool that they can to grow their towns.
TeckXKnight

Postby Dallane » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:20 am

staxjax wrote:lol, I'm quite sure that a global help channel would do more harm than good to the noobs in a game like this.

It would look retarded. Nonstop spam of

???: LOL ******
???:SILVER PLZ
???: HUEHUE COCKS
???: CAN I GET SOME SILVER
???: N-BOMBS
???: WHY WAS I KILLED THIS GAME SUCKS
???: HELP SOMEONE I'm BEING ATTACKED
???: ***** THIS GAY EARTH
???: YOU SHOULD OF PAID THE TREATY >INSERT *** RP
???: CAN I GET SOME SILVER PLZ!@@@@@
???: ANYONE WANT HAY?
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:04 am

you forgot to add somewhere in there

???: WTB SNAKE SKINS 5s EACH!!!!! ADD HS 12345 TO TRADE!!!!
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Claeyt » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:31 am

staxjax wrote:Here I found the thread I was talking about...this is the kind of publicity that Salem gets:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game ... mpany.html

dat sevenless, rofl

Weren't you actually the mod in that case. :lol:

Still the funniest goddamn video ever made of this game.

I've been posting on this sight and a pile of others trying to promote this game. I've helped hundreds of new players try to get ahead in this game and it's sort of worked. Roanoke was bigger.

But it's going to take a massive change to food and game mechanics and possible a restart on the servers to get there. You'd have to get the HnH community over here, and that's impossible with where the game is now. Character development is too long stat wise and Character's are too easily lost compared to HnH. Base grind is impossibly long compared to HnH and less protected. The titans are up and will never be caught with what we have now. I could go on but we all know the arguments. Even the combat system needs updating.

I'm not even going to talk about how much massive noob kills hurt the game either. :roll:
jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill