Publicity

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Publicity

Postby MycroSparks » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:43 pm

I wouldn't call it hilarious. The game is good, it needs a wider audience, I'm sticking up to it. Now, you can argue against us succeeding all day long, but at least we can try. All I'm asking for is a blessing, and from what I've read, some more publicity would be welcomed by the developers. I'm pulling all my strings and I beg that all of you do too. It's only a failure if we don't try...
MycroSparks

Postby MycroSparks » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:47 pm

staxjax wrote:Here I found the thread I was talking about...this is the kind of publicity that Salem gets:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game ... mpany.html

dat sevenless, rofl

That is freaking sad, no arguing with that. But morons like that are in every community. Hell, WoW which dominated the charts for the bigger part of the decade had most of those kinds of morons! And they kept playing it still, because the game was huge,even if they got tricked or butthurt. The outcome of the players trying to advertise the game might not work, but come on, we gotta do something. And is there anyone better for advertising Salem then the players who love it and play it with passion? I've pulled some strings for now, let's see if it works out. If we get 50k people to start playing together, maybe leave them alone for a bit, they could make new friendships which would make the game worth playing for them :)
MycroSparks

Postby colesie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:47 pm

MycroSparks wrote:I wouldn't call it hilarious. The game is good, it needs a wider audience, I'm sticking up to it. Now, you can argue against us succeeding all day long, but at least we can try. All I'm asking for is a blessing, and from what I've read, some more publicity would be welcomed by the developers. I'm pulling all my strings and I beg that all of you do too. It's only a failure if we don't try...

It's an definite failure if you "pull all of your strings" too soon. No one will ever look at the game again.
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby MycroSparks » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:53 pm

colesie wrote:
MycroSparks wrote:I wouldn't call it hilarious. The game is good, it needs a wider audience, I'm sticking up to it. Now, you can argue against us succeeding all day long, but at least we can try. All I'm asking for is a blessing, and from what I've read, some more publicity would be welcomed by the developers. I'm pulling all my strings and I beg that all of you do too. It's only a failure if we don't try...

It's an definite failure if you "pull all of your strings" too soon. No one will ever look at the game again.

The game start is as good as It's going to get in a while. The sooner the developers get some income, the better the game will be in the end. Even if this only contributes 5000 people playing, maybe 100 of them donating, it will mean 1000$ for them, and with 1000$ you can spend an entire month developing. It's better then nothing. And they'll still know about the game after they leave,hell,i left the game, came back and am enjoying the game and the new updates. If there were more updates, more people would come back too :)
MycroSparks

Postby MycroSparks » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Hell,if the result is 100$ for donations, they could still buy a month worth of Pizza, and I don't think they'll mind, we have to give something back to them, it's the least we can do for them sticking with the game for so long.
MycroSparks

Postby Darwoth » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:56 pm

if you want to get players that will stick around you need to advertise the game to the pvp communities/guilds, the numerous key giveaways etc from paradox all failed because they were plugging the game to the wrong crowd as "the crafting mmo" and getting a bunch of farmvillers unable to cope with a permadeath pvp environment.

the trouble is if you do that you could easily end up getting what you want, and one of the large pvp guilds would end up coming over with 200+ highly organized members where they would probably put a branch on each server changing the entire dynamic of the game for good or worse.
Darwoth

Postby Potjeh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:58 pm

Тhe game needs some changes to make it a bit more social (ie easier for newbies to find a join a town, and for towns to benefit from them) before you can get a meaningful percentage of people who try it to stay.
Potjeh

Postby Darwoth » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:00 pm

i think a non localized global chat would probably go a long way toward that, i do like the immersiveness of everything having to be "in person" for the most part but sometimes sacrifices need be made for the sake of gameplay.
Darwoth

Postby MycroSparks » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:04 pm

Darwoth wrote:if you want to get players that will stick around you need to advertise the game to the pvp communities/guilds, the numerous key giveaways etc from paradox all failed because they were plugging the game to the wrong crowd as "the crafting mmo" and getting a bunch of farmvillers unable to cope with a permadeath pvp environment.

That is sad very well. And yes, maybe some hardcore raiders will come. But the way i see it, Indie lovers will come for the game. Sure they might stick around for a few days or something, but hey, the game is out there! The indie community takes care of itself and its games. Only positive things can come from this kind of publicity! People will hear of the game,maybe like the idea but not the game itself too much, but hey, it's beta! Indie gamers get what beta means and they'll be lurking around watching the game develop.

Can't know what will happen, but it seems like only more fun will come out of it one way or another. For you people who love to hunt for noobs, there's an obvious perk in having more of them. For the devs, a bit of money may come their way, and they might reward us with some updates, bringing more fun. Even if nobody comes, we'll still have some videos of reviewers babbling about the game from their perspective to enjoy! But in any case, fun is the only outcome I can see coming out of this :)
MycroSparks

Postby MycroSparks » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:07 pm

Potjeh wrote:Тhe game needs some changes to make it a bit more social (ie easier for newbies to find a join a town, and for towns to benefit from them) before you can get a meaningful percentage of people who try it to stay.

Brilliant! The idea is actually what the game lacks! There are so many MMO-s out there and they all have a global chat, and if not a global chat, at least channels for new players. I remember starting fresh on a few games like Mortal, City of Heroes and so on, the only thing that help me stick with the game was the "Help" channels. The wiki is useful, but I doubt that all people will go straight to it, and Salems tutorial is pretty weak. Getting into the game is hard, that's why I recommended the people i asked favors from to watch "GamerZakh-s" videos first before reviewing.

But yeah, definitely. I wouldn't mind a Help channel, hell, Id even answer 100% of the questions noobs ask there if anyone would have a problem with doing that.
MycroSparks

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill