Argh ...... NOOOOOOOOOOO

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Argh ...... NOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby staxjax » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:16 pm

xweetok59 wrote:That kindof means that Haven and Hearth is better, if a game with 0 advertising gets 1000 +, but a game with lots of advertising 300 +.

Game is still in closed beta. People just want to be cool and don't know what they are getting theirselves into so they snag up a key. For every 100 people that try this game I'm guessing only 1 person will stick around...now when you open flood gates for millions of people, the playerbase will see substantial growth.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Pjotr84 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:02 pm

When this game is released, the player numbers will obviously grow, but you have to wonder how long it'll take for them to drop again and level off. After people get killed a few times, I think a lot of them will just move on, unless, of course, there will be non-PvP/non-permadeath servers eventually.

On the other hand, the people who do stick around will make Salem to what they made H&H: a gem of a game.
Mushibag wrote: Pjotr confirmed racist.

RIP Gemini
Pjotr84

Postby Tonkyhonk » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:01 pm

staxjax wrote:For every 100 people that try this game I'm guessing only 1 person will stick around...now when you open flood gates for millions of people, the playerbase will see substantial growth.

you keep on bringing those numbers constantly, but are they based on any researches youve done or something?
i do see many people quitting rather too soon-ish, but seriously, im not sure if its that bad.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby baronbowden » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:02 pm

I think the perma death feature won't be as bad as people make it out.

Server populations will probably die out if one really warlike band starts razing settlements but the death of a character after you already have your claim and are up and running.. I don't think it will really ruin things for alot of people.

You keep just enough to motivate you to keep going.

One of the things I think would help combat this is a form of resurrection token. Say drop 10 bucks into the bank and you get some angel wings that will resurrect your character 7 days later (I think it would have to be a certain time lag so that whoever killed you gets to reap the rewards of cleaning out the proverbial kitchen

(Don't flame me for the idea it is a purely revenue generation idea to keep the devs in business)
baronbowden

Postby milonti » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:52 pm

baronbowden wrote:I think the perma death feature won't be as bad as people make it out.

Server populations will probably die out if one really warlike band starts razing settlements but the death of a character after you already have your claim and are up and running.. I don't think it will really ruin things for alot of people.

You keep just enough to motivate you to keep going.

One of the things I think would help combat this is a form of resurrection token. Say drop 10 bucks into the bank and you get some angel wings that will resurrect your character 7 days later (I think it would have to be a certain time lag so that whoever killed you gets to reap the rewards of cleaning out the proverbial kitchen

(Don't flame me for the idea it is a purely revenue generation idea to keep the devs in business)

FLAMEFLAMEFLAMEFLAMEFLAME

No seriously, this might be an idea worth looking into. Think about it more, detail it out in a few different ways, then make a thread on the Ideas & Innovations board.
milonti

Postby Glennfinnan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Sorry, but this has been already discussed and will most likely never happen.
Glennfinnan

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:45 pm

In 7 days you can currently grind your character up to nearly the levels your ancestor was at (if not more) if you're a member of a decent town.

As far as player numbers... Just looked and there's about 240 people playing. If we take a conservative number of just 4 times this (because we're about EU peak time) for total number of active players, that's about 1000. There's been how many beta keys given out so far? about 4000-5000 in the last week or so? Let's say they sent out that many over the last beta phase. That's a retention of about 10%, which, given the fact it's advertised as a permadeath open PvP game, is pretty good, I think. I really can't relate this to other games, but most indie games with mass beta invites like this don't have high retention rates, either.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby baronbowden » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Very soon to measure though.

It is a well designed game overall though no doubt.
baronbowden

Postby painhertz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:45 pm

MagicManICT wrote:In 7 days you can currently grind your character up to nearly the levels your ancestor was at (if not more) if you're a member of a decent town.

As far as player numbers... Just looked and there's about 240 people playing. If we take a conservative number of just 4 times this (because we're about EU peak time) for total number of active players, that's about 1000. There's been how many beta keys given out so far? about 4000-5000 in the last week or so? Let's say they sent out that many over the last beta phase. That's a retention of about 10%, which, given the fact it's advertised as a permadeath open PvP game, is pretty good, I think. I really can't relate this to other games, but most indie games with mass beta invites like this don't have high retention rates, either.

I died 2 days ago and my new char is right on the cusp of being as powerful as the last was and that's "with" the majority of our towns wealth stolen. If all the curios and food that got donated to me hadn't been stolen, I'd have far surpassed my last one by now.
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Previous

Return to City upon a Hill