Current version grind

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Current version grind

Postby staxjax » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:11 am

Current grind systems in place are to prepare you for what is to come. Being ready for new content is not all that pointless as you may think.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:20 am

Yeah, but current grind seems to make it possible to get a metal purity of 30% outside darkness. So you can achieve a big advantage by doing stupid things just many times. That is discouraging as it devalues all other things like exploring, building, crafting etc...those guys practically had reached an critical advantage by not using all but on game mechanics. And this in very short time. So the possibility to reach that high metal purity needs to be changed to involve some more disciplines and efforts.
ElCapitan1701

Postby staxjax » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:21 am

Who said that the 30% metal was found outside of the darkness? Also, I dont think you understand the amount of work that goes into prospecting for good metal. While this particular person spam prospect to find good metal in a short amount of time, I'm sure he is severly lacking in other industries.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby FunForLife » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:13 am

staxjax wrote:Also, I dont think you understand the amount of work that goes into prospecting for good metal. While this particular person spam prospect to find good metal in a short amount of time, I'm sure he is severly lacking in other industries.

I believe its a hell of work to do so. But its stupid and monotonous work to build 40 mines and ran around prospect all day. And if - only if - this is the biggest part or the most important part of the game, it says much about the idea of it. If u can find a mine in one week with purity 30% and the Lovers Locket then deal more then 6 k Cloak & Dagger, there is no more need for any other activity to get the Killing Blow for example. You can skill most profencies with the lovers Locket alone then. It seems to be a little bit draggy.

Other thing is, the Guy on the picture has humors around 14 and still could made it to 10%, so there must be higher metal outside the darkness. It shouldn´t be only need hard grind and much time to get Metal, but it should need hard work in all the other aspects of the game to make them usefull. So putting high purity only inside deep darkness means, you neet to get high skilled agriculture to get humors to 100 and you need perfekt teamplay to make roads inside with lightning and to place a church (any day) etc... If this all isn´t needed for the purity of metal, it wont be needed that much at all.

One day loftar puts the multiplier on the spanish sabre and then.... i cant think of it, it will suck so hard...
FunForLife

Postby Potjeh » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:27 am

Why should darkness be superior to light in every way? What's the point of having different regions if one is better at everything than all the others?
Potjeh

Postby FunForLife » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:51 pm

Potjeh wrote:Why should darkness be superior to light in every way? What's the point of having different regions if one is better at everything than all the others?

You need to make the best out of all the craftings possible in nondarkness to be able to proper enter the darkness and survive all that drain and be able to work around in that region. So the conditions for anything are much harder and it needs much more preparation and much more care to do anything inside. So the outcome should be better anyway. If there is no better outcome at all, the nondarkness region is better at all, cuz u dont have these high risks and get the same or maybe better outcome. So assuming the darkness has any relevance to the game, there must be some special stuff Else it has no relevance at all.

And if there is not a region everybody aims for in lategame, there will be nor lategame. Why fight for any resource, if u can find the same 10 steps out of Boston or anywhere else.No fighting = no Endgame. If u fight just to fight its even no endgame and i wont.
FunForLife

Postby Potjeh » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:01 pm

I'd rather have different than better. Which we kinda already do with march hares, and will have in the future with hidebehinds and squonks and whatnot.

And why fight to take in minutes days worth of someone else's hard work, hmm?
Potjeh

Postby FunForLife » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:47 pm

Potjeh wrote:I'd rather have different than better. Which we kinda already do with march hares, and will have in the future with hidebehinds and squonks and whatnot.

I do not understand that. Do Rabbits only get marches in the darkness? Cuz next to my home every third do! That is a difference, but its no reason to enter the darkness, but to leave! You mean i am around darkness, getting drained all day, always risking the Loop-of-Death and will get no proper benefit from this. Then this game has only a single area, cuz darkness itself is irrelevant then!

Potjeh wrote:And why fight to take in minutes days worth of someone else's hard work, hmm?

At least not to demonstrate that i am or my Charackter is an ass-hole! I only would, if it gives me or my charackter a long term profit! It could be gaining access to a mine Purity 30% without grinding for weeks. Cuz grinding is not one of the best ways to give folks something to do in a game...
Last edited by FunForLife on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FunForLife

Postby Potjeh » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:49 pm

AFAIK rate of march hare spawning is directly proportional to distance from Boston.

And I don't quite understand what you're trying to say in the second part.
Potjeh

Postby FunForLife » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:37 pm

Potjeh wrote:AFAIK rate of march hare spawning is directly proportional to distance from Boston.

Thats a good idea at all. Simply use this idea on stuff we need so everyone is forced to travel away, far away from boston. Maybe there should be a hard cut at the beginnign of darkness where those rates really raise hard.

Potjeh wrote:And I don't quite understand what you're trying to say in the second part.

Most players need a good reason given by the game, to fight. Its only a small amount of players havin fun on destroying things others worked hard for, without gettin a benefit on there own. I would do so, if my Town gets a great advantage out of such a fight, but never just to see my opponent eating his keys or throwing his mouse! Maybe there is a small amount of players who would do, but not enough to generate money with a game.

If any ressource gets upgraded in the darkness, there will be a small amount of ressources for a large amount of player wanting it. Thats a really good reason to fight and destroy enemy property to build your own. But as u loose all stats in permadeath u didnt loose your property anyways. So why should i fight and kill anyone, if i cant destroy his claim and take over his ressources?

Back to Topic: The Grind of each disciplin in Salem should need input in all other disciplins, to make them all worth and neccessary. Even fighting PvP should be neccessary to get to the top of possible development. As there are Ironmines all over the map in all puritys, there is no reason to fight and even no reason to grind. Just wait for them selling higher Rods and leave 20 steps in grinding the Purity behind.

I don´t really know how to say that, but theres the question of the right to exist or the need to use of some parts of the crafting in salem. Example:

I dont need Cooking/raising my Humors at all to get higher Iron, as the Screenshot from Stax showed - so leave it behind. I just can level Coak & dagger to 6000 with 2 boxes of high lover lockets and be back in the game when i die. But, i cant take over a high mine by using "Killing Blow" on the owner. So i leave it aswell behind, cuz there is no need to do so. What do i have this higher iron for now? Its sense and nonsense of doing things, of grinding around and crafting stuff. It all goes to nowhere and there is no good reason for any of the crafting in Salem.

Entering the darkness changes the Situation drastically. You need high Humors to work and live there. So skilled agriculture and cooking is really neccessary. You need to build many stuff around to make some save and lighted place which includes advantage in many other crafting skills. So all Salem needs, to make all of the crafting usefull and neccessary, is a really good reason to settle inside the darkness for really everyone!

So the grind on iron purity should automatically get everyone inside the darkness, where the mines get less and the Grinders get more. Fighting will happen then naturaly! Any war in any time on this planet happend had there reason in ressources and not in pure fun in killing and destroying... So its really unnatural to assume open-pvp will happen when there is nothing to gain from it, but the small amount of stuff the victim had in his pockets.

Hope this is clear enough, my english is limited, so i cant word anything absolute precisly.
FunForLife

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill