Current version grind

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Current version grind

Postby baronbowden » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:32 pm

Yea agreed honkey. I have no clue how the mechanic would work. It would be very interesting if it increased world size but who knows.. not I.

That is the thing though without great locations/drop/spawns to fight over conflict will always just be grief in nature imo. Grief will be part of the game but it would be epic if the main reason for conflict was actually structured in game design that makes it rational.

Would America be in the middle east for giggles without the oil?;) Scarce resources are the stuff nations are built on (towns in our case)
baronbowden

Postby Potjeh » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:44 pm

Also, the darkness is about as big as the light, so I really don't see how it would provide for more competition over resources. If anything, it'd be less, because towns there would be an incredible pain to raid.

Really, all this would achieve is postpone settling down until you have high humours (so, like a month if you have a real life), and if anything the game needs an earlier start on settlement development.
Potjeh

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:45 pm

I can`t see what Salem would lose, if there would be some ressources, some plants or some animals only in darkness (and some only in light)? It would hurt nobody. Compared to other suggestions, this change wouldn`t cost that much time to implement but offer many advantages:
- a new goal (besides raiding) to achieve
- valuable ressources wouldn`t be determined by grind only but also by development of your community and getting far west.
- movement to the west which fits to the setting of Salem
- trade could arise as the cities in the east would need the ressources from the west
- infrastructure would be needed
- travel, some sort of transport service would be needed
- transports could be raided
- nature or indians or something else would be hard to handle in darkness -> endcontent
- crafting would get a kick as there would be needed many tools, food etc...

If you don`t like moving to the west you could stay east and play Salem as it is now. So, nothing to lose...
ElCapitan1701

Postby Potjeh » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:07 am

Yeah, darkness should be different, not better.

Forget about trade caravans and raiding them, though, since people will always just trade via Boston.
Potjeh

Postby staxjax » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:15 am

There are biomes specific to the darkness that spawn items that are harder to find elsewhere.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:40 am

staxjax wrote:There are biomes specific to the darkness that spawn items that are harder to find elsewhere.

Going to need some examples stax, I'm curious.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby ShadowAtlan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:00 am

Well, while they currently have no "Unique" spawns, they do have many things that are much, much more common. In the Fen I live on, I can find a witch hat every few steps, they're almost as common as waxing toadstools are in forests. The Coniferous forests, Fen, and Badlands while not apparently /unique/ to the darkness, are also much, much more common within them, so it could be argued that any of the things common to them, are easier to find within the dark.
Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science.
ShadowAtlan

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:39 am

ShadowAtlan wrote:Well, while they currently have no "Unique" spawns, they do have many things that are much, much more common. In the Fen I live on, I can find a witch hat every few steps, they're almost as common as waxing toadstools are in forests. The Coniferous forests, Fen, and Badlands while not apparently /unique/ to the darkness, are also much, much more common within them, so it could be argued that any of the things common to them, are easier to find within the dark.

Biomes are very very large with the current worldgen. There are massive tracts of pine forest and badlands outside the darkness. Honestly any biomes appearing more inside the darkness could simply be random chance considering how big the damn areas are.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby staxjax » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:57 am

Sevenless, you need to get out more. Go explore the darkness and see for yourself.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby painhertz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:08 am

staxjax wrote:Sevenless, you need to get out more. Go explore the darkness and see for yourself.

how far does one have to explore before these "magic biomes" appear? Where are the screenshots?
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill