Current version grind

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Current version grind

Postby Banok » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:33 am

I while I strongly disliked the old purity system, and I like the idea of diminishing returns on inspirationals. the fact is these two changes combined mean it takes about 50 times longer to develop a character now. while it was too quick before (with high purity ofc), now personally I feel it is way too slow and grindy.

yes they will be re adding a purity system, but we do not know exactly how it will work, but it would seem to be added via endgame development. so the grind as it is now would remain at least for new players/hermits/most people. So what is your opinion on the current rate of character progression? aka grind.
Banok

Re: Current version grind

Postby puddingchampion » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:35 am

I definitely miss the benefits of being on a nice purity node, but the diminishing returns (at least early game) have made it feel less grindy for me. I've found myself forced to vary which inspirationals I use, and to plan my early build to develop a wider range of inspirationals. Haven't gotten to later game stages with this character yet, so I can't comment on how that feels, but I suspect I'll be sorely missing the purity benefits then.
puddingchampion

Postby Bluestone » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:00 am

Current grind is fine. Let purity improve endgame grind and leave startgame alone. I would stop playing if this game got easy. Easy games are a dime a dozen these days and they are booooring.
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:24 am

There's no diminishing returns at all if you use variety curios. You're guarenteed to get 70% of the wiki stated curio value that way. 2-4 good power curios for what you want and getting 5k isn't overly bothersome except in C/D sorta. But lockets uber solve that once you're set up.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby APXEOLOG » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:36 am

Bluestone wrote:Current grind is fine. Let purity improve endgame grind and leave startgame alone. I would stop playing if this game got easy. Easy games are a dime a dozen these days and they are booooring.

this. Also you can gain exp fast if you know mechanics and curiositys. And you can gain exp FAST if you play with your team.
You can call me 'arh'. No needs to distort my nickname :)
APXEOLOG

Postby TotalyMoo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:49 am

APXEOLOG wrote:
Bluestone wrote:Current grind is fine. Let purity improve endgame grind and leave startgame alone. I would stop playing if this game got easy. Easy games are a dime a dozen these days and they are booooring.

this. Also you can gain exp fast if you know mechanics and curiositys. And you can gain exp FAST if you play with your team.

The current grind supports the idea of not hermiting. Being a hermit always makes the game a lot slower, with one or a few friends you'll rush away.

Remember that being in a faction also lessens the pain of losing a character. With a decent supply of good gluttony foods and inspirationals you can raise a new toon really fast.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Banok » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:03 pm

puddingchampion wrote:but the diminishing returns (at least early game) have made it feel less grindy for me.

your right guess I misuse the word grind. diminishing returns makes the grind less grindy but still too much grind ;p

Bluestone wrote: I would stop playing if this game got easy.

I dont really think its a question of easyness, just time imput. personally for me I can see myself stop playing if it stays like this, not because its too hard but I want to participate in pvp and I dont want to repeat this current duration of character development multiples of times.

Sevenless wrote:There's no diminishing returns at all if you use variety curios. You're guarenteed to get 70% of the wiki stated curio value that way. 2-4 good power curios for what you want and getting 5k isn't overly bothersome except in C/D sorta. But lockets uber solve that once you're set up.

its not a simple case of -30% tho, the loss of purity is massive and also alot of inspirationals were heavily nerfed in the first place (i used to make 40,000 c&d cricket teams lol). and Ive been through about 20 lockets already and still im a long way from murder. its fairly time/effort consuming making metal.
Banok

Postby staxjax » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:27 pm

Find a better mine.

http://i.imgur.com/FyTAi.jpg
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:13 pm

Yeah now that mine purity has been "discovered" (staxjax told me how it worked and I explained it to most other people via my guide), C/D really isn't something you should be crying over.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby TotalyMoo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:43 am

staxjax wrote:Find a better mine.

http://i.imgur.com/FyTAi.jpg

Dear god, what is it with people in Salem and having the taskbar on the side?!

As for the purity, why does it say 0,1? Is that some strange BDsalem thing or am I just not thinking correctly?
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Next

Return to City upon a Hill