Cyber-Bullying on Salem

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Cyber-Bullying on Salem

Postby Dallane » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:44 am

Naruchico wrote:Well it can be no other than the plymouth server, MM tribe.

lol ok troll post nice try
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Naruchico » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:45 am

Dallane wrote:

How am I trolling...? I actually am concerned about this problem more than my ability to play.
Naruchico

Postby Procne » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:46 am

Troll post or not, but the chief gives best arguments about the game being too harsh for newbies
Procne

Postby Dallane » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:48 am

Naruchico wrote:
Dallane wrote:

How am I trolling...? I actually am concerned about this problem more than my ability to play.

just leave or move servers
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby iamah » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:10 pm

there are nicer villages out there, but you gotta get an idea from the post they make in the colonial subforum... avoid the serious people that takes everything too serious, seek the more relaxed players...

I'd take this character to Boston and buy a wilderness guide service to a new location... become and hermit and explore... if you find a nice village on the forums create an alternative character and give it a try with them...
iamah

Postby LackofCertainty » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Cyber-bullying is a pretty serious topic, and if you strongly feel that you are being bullied this does not belong on an open thread. PM TotalyMoo about it.

If you don't really believe that you're being bullied, and are just using it as an attention grabbing title, then:
1. Shame on you.
2. Do iamah's suggestion.
iamah wrote:there are nicer villages out there, but you gotta get an idea from the post they make in the colonial subforum... avoid the serious people that takes everything too serious, seek the more relaxed players...

I'd take this character to Boston and buy a wilderness guide service to a new location... become and hermit and explore... if you find a nice village on the forums create an alternative character and give it a try with them...

Steps:
1. If they have scents on you, make a new character. Otherwise remove them from your kin list.
2. Pay the wilderness guide 30s for a random port, or truck it out of Boston and run for a good couple hours. (The Custom Clients show other players on radar, so it's easy to tell if you're being followed)
3.Setup a hermitage, or join a village via PMs. (MM tribe could track you down via forum posts, so paranoia says use PM's)
4. Annnnd you're done. Congratulations.

One of the nice parts of the internet is that it is very easy to be anonymous.
LackofCertainty

Postby Naruchico » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:22 pm

LackofCertainty wrote:Cyber-bullying is a pretty serious topic, and if you strongly feel that you are being bullied this does not belong on an open thread. PM TotalyMoo about it.

If you don't really believe that you're being bullied, and are just using it as an attention grabbing title, then:
1. Shame on you.
2. Do iamah's suggestion.
iamah wrote:there are nicer villages out there, but you gotta get an idea from the post they make in the colonial subforum... avoid the serious people that takes everything too serious, seek the more relaxed players...

Steps:
1. If they have scents on you, make a new character. Otherwise remove them from your kin list.
2. Pay the wilderness guide 30s for a random port, or truck it out of Boston and run for a good couple hours. (The Custom Clients show other players on radar, so it's easy to tell if you're being followed)
3.Setup a hermitage, or join a village via PMs. (MM tribe could track you down via forum posts, so paranoia says use PM's)
4. Annnnd you're done. Congratulations.

One of the nice parts of the internet is that it is very easy to be anonymous.

I am glad someone takes this seriously as I do, and I do feel so, and have taken steps for this situation, my real reason for posting wasn't to draw attention to me, but it was to draw attention to the problem, because this could effect salem in a horrible manner down the line, especially if they are trying to get a larger player base, if new players feel bullied in their first few moments on a game they are never going to come back.

I just wanted to know what is done to prevent this kind of thing from happening, or to control it, but what I have gotten so far is a lot more people taking this as a cry baby post, so I'll try to make this clear.

What is Seatribe/Paradox doing to prevent player-abuse/cyber-bullying VIA Salem particularly for newer players, aswell as seasoned vets
Naruchico

Postby Nixman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Cyber bullying refers to abuse towards people, not towards virtual avatars. I think you are a bit confused about the nature of bullying and how damaging it can be, but to use it as an attempt to seek attention for something you have complete control over, even so far as to bolden your words and increase the size is a clear example.

People have already given you suggestions on how you can avoid this kind of situation but its clear your not interested in a solution you just want this childish behaviour to spill into the help forums, which quite frankly is a place where new players come, the last thing they need to see is this immature behaviour.
Last edited by Nixman on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nixman

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:52 pm

This hardly a troll post. It's quite the serious question. This is also in the Help! section, so let's keep it clean. I'll see if we can get a statement from our glorious Paradox rep at some point.

Also, if anyone finds any instance of or attempts at real threats, here or in game, they should be reported here via PM to TotalyMoo or one of the moderation team.

First, I'd like to remind that this is, by nature, a hostile environment. There are no police or social workers here to enforce a certain set of artificial rules to make players behave in a certain manner towards each other. If you wish for this to be the case, you need to create your own rules and enforce them. Then, how would that be any different than what is currently being done in game?

Second, you have a lot of options on how to play. If you get yourself out into the wilderness, odds of anyone finding you are slim unless you leave scents or leave a giant marker on the map people can see from a mile away. Use the random wilderness teleports to get away from Boston.

Third, even with inter-server travel, there may well be enough servers that no one group can try to dominate them all. However, no matter what server you're on, there's always going to be someone come along to try and make your game miserable. You can either choose to deal with it in a gamer-like fashion (beat the virtual crap out of the guy or troll him mercilessly) or you can choose to deal with it like you would in a real situation--try to call the government in to take care of it. I don't sit down at a card table expecting others to behave like ladies and gentlemen. I expect them to be as cutthroat as possible within the rules (and someone is likely going to try cheating at some point... because "Winning!")

Finally, what's the harm in joining them? This isn't the type of game you can survive on your own unless you're prepared for some really big surprises and have the willingness to pick up and move yourself sans any virtual goods at a moments notice.

To call this "cyber-bullying" is a far, far stretch of the term. While there is a real person behind each computer, this is just a game. What happens in game should have no real lasting consequences on life. Yes, it can be hard to detach yourself from something you've spent time and effort building up. People have failed so bad at keeping a proper perspective on life, they commit suicide. (It happens to stock brokers, professional gamblers, professional athletes, well, every walk of life). Just remember that you can get up and walk away (or in this case navigate to another website) and come back when you feel up to the challenges again. This isn't your schoolyard or workplace. You can behave as nicely or as badly as the rules allow, and the only rule here is "follow the game mechanics". (There are, of course, rules on the forums people are expected to obey.)

That said, why should any potential long-term customer want to commit to a game where one is openly greeted like this within the first few hours of playing? If I didn't already enjoy this sort of game, I'd probably walk out the door right there. It's hard to get converts to PvP games when you treat new players to the concept in such a harsh way. (A vet to this genre of gaming wouldn't have ever made this post unless it was to troll....) One might argue that it's weeding out the scrubs, and that person might be correct in that. However, we've raised our children for the last 30 or so years without any really strong competitive spirit for the most part (at least in the US where "everybody wins and we don't keep score!"). A competitive attitude has to be cultivated over time just like you have to teach a person the art of zen. One does not just sit down within a few hours and accept or reject it.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Naruchico » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:02 pm

Nixman wrote:Cyber bullying refers to abuse towards people, not towards virtual avatars. I think you are a bit confused about the nature of bullying and how damaging it can be, but to use it as an attempt to seek attention for something you have complete control over, even so far as to bolden your words and increase the size is a clear example.

People have already given you suggestions on how you can avoid this kind of situation but its clear your not interested in a solution you just want this childish behaviour to spill into the help forums, which quite frankly is a place where new players come, the last thing they need to see is this immature behaviour.

Yes abuse towards people, I do understand that, I can put an example forward, say I was a youtuber or livestreamer, salem being my primary game and my source of income, every time I try to make a video or stream even though I have hidden all signs of my area, they constantly seek my place, destroy anything I make, and overall prevent me from doing my job, this is effecting my life, not just my in-game character.

And again I see the solutions for me as a player, and yes those can work, for a while. What I am asking is for a member of Paradox or Seatribe to give me an idea of what they personally planned to do to prevent this kind of harassment towards players, or will they simply always look the other way, even though:

A: it may effect their income (new player joins spends $5, large super group sits outside town kills player takes money, player quits, player was a game reviewer THE END)
B: the size of the player base
C: The enjoyment of the base of players over the elite players
D: The quality of a new players experience
E: The overall appearance of the game itself(a perfect reviewers example "The game itself is run by a small group of players who hold the game hostage from the new players")

I love salem itself I just don't want the game to get destroyed by a lack of control that super-solidifies the veterans and banishes the new players, leaving nothing but an elitist group of players.
Naruchico

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill