Name this Biome

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Name this Biome

Postby ShadowAtlan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:53 pm

So I stumbled upon this biome not too long ago, and it'd happen to be the one I'm currently settled in. I chatted with Bluestone about adding it to the wiki, and the only thing missing is a fitting name for it. Pictures were taken several days ago, but I just got around to making this post since I decided crowdsourcing might be an effective strategy here.
To explain things a bit. At first glance, the biome seems like generic lumberwoods, but on closer inspection you can see that the colours are in fact reversed, rather than being brown with green "splotches" on it, it's green with brown splotches. I've currently only found the biome a bit into the darkness, so that's something to keep in mind too.
Also, I found a waterfall.
This biome is pretty strange when you get down to it. As you can see in the above picture, it isn't relegated to a single type of tree like the coniferous forests, but has all available types squeezed into one biome, much like plains. They're also not very packed together, which makes it a lot more like a darker, wilder version of basic plains and prairies. However, a lot of the grass you see on the screen is, fake somehow. Unpickable, uninteractable, only by using Ender's or APX's can one easily distinguish between them, (though there is a slight colour difference). You can also find Waxing toadstools, Lavendar blewits, and Witch hats. TONS of witch hats, everywhere. In fact I'd say that Milkweed and Witch hats are probably the most common spawning herbs here. There is the occasional thorn bush, though not nearly as common as Badlands. Here's where things get a bit stranger, though.
There's all sorts of little plants I've never seen before, all over the place. Like the fake grass, they're uninteractable, but they're still pretty interesting. From wandering around staring at the ground a lot, I've found ones like the above picture, which I've dubbed "snakebulbs" for their shape, smaller versions of them which appear to be 3 babies sprouting out of the ground, a lot of root patches jutting up wildly in spots, as well as a plant that looks similar to aloe vera. I can upload pictures of all of these later, if you guys want.
All in all, it's been a really neat biome for exploration, with a lot of potential coolness in it. That's why I'd like to give it a neat name, so let's see what you guys can think up.
Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science.
ShadowAtlan

Re: Name this Biome

Postby JeffGV » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:24 pm

Well, what i can say is that it isn't found only in the darkness.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=223&start=20#p2369
Regarding animals, i've been finding just crickets, rattlers (a lot of them) and deers there.
I call it the "dark wood", anyway.
JeffGV

Postby ShadowAtlan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:31 pm

I've seen a bear, but that might've simply been because I'm bordering a coniferous forest. As for rattlers, significantly less of them than the badlands, crickets, rabbits, beavers as per usual. Deer have spawned in groups, for me. It's not uncommon to have 3 of them on the screen at once around my camp. (They freak me out sometimes when I'm not paying attention and they randomly run up to me)
ShadowAtlan

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:29 pm

I've done a university course or two on biomes, and I'll be honest in saying I have no clue what that biome is meant to represent. My best guess would be a mixed forest since that biome has pine trees in it. And yeah that's literally the name for them: Temperate Mixed Forest.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby ShadowAtlan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Aye. I couldn't find any real life biome that quite fits it, none that are any bit specific or interesting. I was thinking we might come up with some neat name based on its features, all the rough land and black plants, not to mention the roots and all the grass give it a sort of.. overgrown feel, almost.
ShadowAtlan

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:56 pm

"Old growth forest"?
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:48 pm

ShadowAtlan wrote:Aye. I couldn't find any real life biome that quite fits it, none that are any bit specific or interesting. I was thinking we might come up with some neat name based on its features, all the rough land and black plants, not to mention the roots and all the grass give it a sort of.. overgrown feel, almost.

Nope I'm sure now, Mixed Forest is the proper name for it. Just sounds kinda dumb.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Droj » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:15 am

It's a combination of pine forest and grassland in terms of forageables. Rich in Milkweed too.
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby staxjax » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:19 am

We shall call it 'TEH DARK PLAINS'.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby sabinati » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:06 am

look in ~\.salem\cache\res\gfx\tiles\ for what it's actually called ;)
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Next

Return to City upon a Hill