Friendlies VS Criminals

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Two Things: How hard do you grief? Are murderers or builders the majority in-game?

I never do anything to hamper another player, like to stay friendly.
17%
I ignore other players universally.
8%
I'll steal anything unclaimed >:D it's fair game.
29%
I raid and steal because loot is awesome.
7%
I murder the innocent because lol.
3%
I think there are more criminals than kind/neutral players.
11%
I think there are equal criminals and kind/neutral players.
10%
I think there are more kind/neutral players than criminals.
14%

Total votes : 118

Friendlies VS Criminals

Postby thezoobler » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:16 am

So I guess there are five general kinds of people that play Salem.

Those that would like to just build stuff or hunt, survive in the wilds, and maybe make some friends/talk to people while doing it. They don't take from others or murder, even if unclaimed.
Those that do all of the above, minus social connections. They just wanna curl up in a corner and see how big they can build, don't need other people for that. They don't take even unclaimed items though just out of respect.
Those that are pretty hermitty but also take any unclaimed items available to them because hey, free stuff is awesome haha :D.
EDIT: There are raiders too, now that you mention it. Those that steal and sometimes kill but do not harass.
Lastly, those that participate in criminal activities like theft and murder, because its fun to assert your dominance.

I'm personally Gamer #1 up there (friendly if possible) but the fact that you can't really trust anyone you meet makes me slide more towards #2 (respectful hermit) lol. Friendship means people being within murder range of you.

I think the hardcore freedom of the game is awesome and exciting, but sometimes I wonder how many players of each type actually make up the "population" of this game (the population is alright but I certainly hope it grows! this game deserves the attention ). What do you guys think? More criminalss or friendlies? What type are you?

As a personal note, I think the game would be most fun (for me anyway, not necessarily everyone) with a majority of friendlies/neutrals, but with plenty of criminals left over to keep things exciting. I'm not sure I like the fact that I can't really fully trust anyone, I love just talking to people and making friends on MMOs, and thieves/murderers being in the minority would give their actions more notoriety than "just another douche." Plus, I've gotten a kick out of PvP in the past, and its a lot more fun when you're one of the only ones doing it in a flock of unassuming sheep. Makes it more personal :>
Last edited by thezoobler on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:36 am, edited 5 times in total.
thezoobler

Re: Friendlies VS Griefers

Postby Dallane » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:20 am

you are a idiot to think that the criminal playstyle is griefing someone.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby thezoobler » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:24 am

It's an act that causes someone grief lol. That doesn't mean it's an invalid playstyle or even one I disagree with. It's just a term. It's griefing. Lol.
thezoobler

Postby Sevenless » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:26 am

thezoobler wrote:It's an act that causes someone grief lol. That doesn't mean it's an invalid playstyle. It's just a term.

"A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game that purposely irritates and harasses other players."

Difference is intent not actions. Griefer is doing it for their tears, raider is doing it for the loot. It also changes what they do. Raider will take your ****, griefer will destroy everything else too (like houses and crops and smelters).

Furthermore: You're missing options about passive aggressiveness. There's plenty of things you can do without breaking any "laws" to try and force someone to move away. Especially if you're strategically trying to take over an area. Or you could be doing it to be an ass.

Good example: Beautiful beach to the north of us. We had some active playing noobs settle literally ON it. Claimed part of it and everything. Living on a biome ruins the foragibility entirely. We asked nicely and they told us to go f--- ourselves because their 2 days of work was "far too hard to rebuild elsewhere". So we started being the most annoying we could. Stole everything not on a claim. Piled debris on their door, harassed them with completely non-backed up threats about "the scary russians living nearby".

But we did it for strategic reasons. We wanted that beach forageable for everyone (ourselves included), and for that we had to get them out of there.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Chiprel » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:27 am

I'll steal anything unclaimed >:D it's fair game.
I murder the innocent because lol.

I think that you should add some option between those two.
dem M_O_V_E_M_E_N_T_O_A_T_M_E_A_L_C_R_A_C_K_E_R_S
Winner of bracket ( award.
<@TotalyMoo> Mushi, will you be my new lover? :<
Chiprel

Postby thezoobler » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:28 am

Sevenless wrote:"A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game that purposely irritates and harasses other players."

Difference is intent not actions. Griefer is doing it for their tears, raider is doing it for the loot. It also changes what they do. Raider will take your ****, griefer will destroy everything else too (like houses and crops and smelters).

Fair enough, maybe I should re-word the post lol.

Edit: There we go, added a raider option to the poll and changed "griefers" to criminals.

Edit 2, Edit Harder: Tweaked the rest. Looks a little bit more open minded now lol.
thezoobler

Postby Chiprel » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:36 am

I wonder what rangers minority will choose from that pool ¦]
dem M_O_V_E_M_E_N_T_O_A_T_M_E_A_L_C_R_A_C_K_E_R_S
Winner of bracket ( award.
<@TotalyMoo> Mushi, will you be my new lover? :<
Chiprel

Postby _Gunnar » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:37 am

i would hamper other players were it necessary & if i had the ability, but i wouldnt consider myself a raider nor a griefer :(

i think people on these forums seem obsessed with dividing the world into "carebears" and "raiders", when it is perfectly possible to be friendly and also ready to fight for your friends or yourself. its annoying.

and yeah, what chiprel said
ImageImageImage
Darwoth wrote:tradewinds is gunnar
Brego wrote:***** STUPID GUNNAR!

great minds
_Gunnar

Postby Dallane » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:38 am

Chiprel wrote:I wonder what rangers minority will choose from that pool ¦]

prolly nothing since its a terrible poll/thread
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Sevenless » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:40 am

_Gunnar wrote:i would hamper other players were it necessary & if i had the ability, but i wouldnt consider myself a raider nor a griefer :(

i think people on these forums seem obsessed with dividing the world into "carebears" and "raiders", when it is perfectly possible to be friendly and also ready to fight for your friends or yourself. its annoying.

and yeah, what chiprel said

*tsks* Now you're discriminating! Next you'll be calling raiders anti-social psychopaths.

Ah wait. That's already happened at paradox forums. My bad.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Next

Return to City upon a Hill