What year is it?

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

What year is it?

Postby alexbar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:42 pm

Wanted to write some fan-lore for the adventures of me and my own.

Was curious what the year was that Salem the game takes place. I searched the forums in three locations; so I am apologetic if I missed it:

Another fan fiction writer has his story taking place in October of 1630. That serves as a brilliant place to begin; but Boston was founded as a town in September 1630. And from another web-site regarding Boston; it states that the people who "founded" the Godly city of Boston, set sail from England, in March 1630...So my thoughts of Boston being built up before being "declared a city" are not grounded in reality.

Captain ****** (Chief peepooKaka) states that the year may be 1669?

Lastly I was hoping that the recent update would provide just what King that statue is of. This would be my best bet to find out the game date?

~~~

I am no history buff, so I apologize if my first insight is vastly incorrect.

TL DR;

What year is it in our great game of Salem?
alexbar

Re: What year is it?

Postby Procne » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:48 pm

Thea year concept is broken. See, ships on which we got to the new world got caught in inter-dimensional vortex, and we are no longer on Earth, but on a twisted version of it, concieved in Cthulu's imagination. Therefore there are no seasons, we are stalked by weird creatures and there is no going back to England.
Procne

Postby alexbar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:49 pm

lol, lovely. I also noticed the sun never sets =p
alexbar

Postby harflimon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:16 pm

alexbar wrote:lol, lovely. I also noticed the sun never sets =p

What sun, the sky is completely black.
harflimon

Postby alexbar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:41 pm

LOL ~ Darnit, you're right. I wish I could claim ignorance, but I did just recently change the camera option.

Okay, so I think the jist of my answer is:

"Whatever damn year you want!"
alexbar

Postby harflimon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:17 pm

I honestly have no idea what year it is, the devs haven't established any lore that I'm aware of. I highly doubt they will take the time to write up an official lore, so whoever is the first to make it up and have it stick wins. Maybe if your lore is good enough the Jorbtar will come and approve of it.
harflimon

Postby ramuller » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Starting from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston, we are looking at something like 1630 or a few years later.
Swordmage
ramuller

Postby jorb » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:02 pm

The game is not strictly set in any one year. It's rather an eclectic blend of the entire colonial era taken as a whole. :)
jorb

Postby Tylan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Yeahhh, I realized my own dates were off by the third post. Given the timeline of Boston's history, I think I'm going to adjust my story to taking place in 1632. Regardless of server name, if we are to assume that every town is "Boston" (Jamestown, for example, sprung up long before Boston was settled), then I think 1635-1640 would be a good time for where gameplay exists. Boston isn't very expansive as a city, raw materials are ripe for the taking from a land mostly untarnished by other settlers, etc. Much longer and it's unrealistic. Too short and it's hard to explain the nice things Boston -is- equipped with. Of course, to be historically accurate, that specific date range should change depending on which server you're on/writing about.
jorb wrote:you fat-fingered, trigger happy nabbly-boos.

We write as a defense against the void, against the unknown that is the other side of death.
-C. Leland
Tylan

Postby jwhitehorn » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:17 pm

The Great Chief PeePooKaKa emerged from the Apple around 6 B.C. and in his travels met a hippie some squatters referred to as "Jesus". Interesting fellow but some of his ideas were a little out there. The Chief is approx 1,500 years old give or take a few hundred years. Not sure if that helps you or not.

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
jwhitehorn

Next

Return to City upon a Hill