Why still only 2 developers?

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Why still only 2 developers?

Postby sabinati » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:59 am

The Tumbleweed Courant. wrote:What is your biggest frustration so far with salem?
Jorb: Hmm
Loftar: Not having 48 hours a day to work on it?
Jorb: Idk. The general “slow” pace of development always frustrates me.
Is it completely impossible to hire any more people?
Loftar: I think it is before it has proven that it’s able to earn its keep, at least. There’s of course the mythical man-month problem, as well. Hiring someone would obviously only slow down development initially.
Jorb: At this stage hiring feels kind of pointless, for that matter. I mean… the hard things are basically done. It’s downhill from after multiple servers. If we could get on, say, the Haven schedule of like one nice content patch a week I’d be happy with the pace I think. Frustration occurs when we go months without meaningful content patches, and by meaningful I don’t mean the patches where I randomly add more inspirationals and whatnot.

Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Banok » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:17 am

Thanks sab, I had not seen that. was a good read. here a link for anyone else.

it is before it has proven that it’s able to earn its keep

surprises me, like I said in OP I would have thought salem would already justify it, it seems to be doing fairly well.

I can understand how hiring might slow them down tho, especially after reading the whole article about how they work from home and use "language that has developed between the two of us."

Animal husbandry is pretty high up on my list as well. I want a horse and a cart.

This has got my hopes up.
Banok

Postby firefox2026 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:33 am

Don't forget they get Ender's Client for Free.. ;)
firefox2026

Postby Potjeh » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:29 am

They should outsource the client IMO, it's a waste to have Loftar work on that when he could be working on content.
Potjeh

Postby TotalyMoo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 am

Most valid reason from our (Pdx) side is that the money in vs the money out on hiring a new full time developer is not worth it in this stage. Simple as that :)

I wish we could give SeaTribe some minion devs to do the grunt work when they focus their superior minds on other more important things, but as far as I know that is not the situation for some time.

Honestly I think they are doing an awesome job with the patch pace at this time.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby jorb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:32 pm

I personally find dealing with people to be slightly exhausting. Less time wasted on office politics, and less time wasted on putting on pants at ungodly hours of the day means more things get done at the end of said day.

There are limits to that argument, but none of us are in any hurry to scale up our operation. We work very well together.
jorb

Postby Chiprel » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:46 pm

jorb wrote:things get done

jorb wrote:less time wasted on putting on pants

jorb wrote:We

jorb wrote:very well together.

:oops:
dem M_O_V_E_M_E_N_T_O_A_T_M_E_A_L_C_R_A_C_K_E_R_S
Winner of bracket ( award.
<@TotalyMoo> Mushi, will you be my new lover? :<
Chiprel

Postby jorb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Chiprel wrote::oops:

jorb

Postby TotalyMoo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:18 pm

jorb wrote:I personally find dealing with people to be slightly exhausting. Less time wasted on office politics, and less time wasted on putting on pants at ungodly hours of the day means more things get done at the end of said day.

There are limits to that argument, but none of us are in any hurry to scale up our operation. We work very well together.

At this point scaling up Salem might just be putting more chefs on a soup that is already pretty tasty.

Mmm... Soup...
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Procne » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:24 pm

Hmm that means in the next update we will be able to make soup? Bean / pea soup is my favorite
Procne

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill