Standard price list for Roanoke

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Standard price list for Roanoke

Postby Adweno » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:48 pm

I am looking for anyone intrested in cooperation for making a standard price list. It would make life much easier! Almost all merchants have problems with adjusting prices! Everyone always wants to pay less and sell for more. Post here if you can help me collecting prices all around (forums, in-game...). I am intrested only in making price list for Roanoke server, as I don't know other servers and i realise that they are different because of servers age and some other things affecting prices.
Adweno

Re: Standard price list for Roanoke

Postby staxjax » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:30 pm

If you were selling merchandise for the 'listed' price, I would just undercut you and make more sales until you adjusted accordingly. That would kind of make the list obsolete.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Feartheflames » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:54 pm

staxjax wrote:If you were selling merchandise for the 'listed' price, I would just undercut you and make more sales until you adjusted accordingly. That would kind of make the list obsolete.

And nothing would stop people from undercutting you (Although undercutting every price is a silly idea when it's not needed all the time and would just end up giving you lower ROI, but lets not get in to that discussion) . However the list would give people a rough idea of what kind of prices items are worth, a decent starting point, rather then getting the constant question of "How much is X".
Feartheflames

Postby staxjax » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:34 pm

Just buy everything you think is too cheap and resell it. The other stalls will be out of business, and you would make profit off of other people's hard work.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Adweno » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:36 pm

Okay, so let's make more like a "suggestion list based on statisctiacal prices" so it would be "starting point" as you say. Many people don't know anything about prices and it's hard to buy lot of things, for expample you ask someone selling SOLs for pice and he says 50s, then when u want to pay less he stays at 50s, because he thinks thats good price.
Adweno

Postby _Gunnar » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:46 pm

We had a couple of these in the Courant, a while back, but i don't have the time to do it for the new servers. By the second one prices had roughly stabilised, so you could look at that if you wanted a rough idea. I still want to do it again if trade is revitalised through updates, could be pretty interesting. At the moment there isn't much incentive to sell/buy stuff apart from basic equipment to newbies.

Edit: tbh the articles were more meant as analysis rather than price guides, but they could be used as such
ImageImageImage
Darwoth wrote:tradewinds is gunnar
Brego wrote:***** STUPID GUNNAR!

great minds
_Gunnar

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:29 pm

So if I read your follow up post correctly, you want to make a price index, which is a bit different than a list of "standard prices". Is it really even possible to do so in a practical manner where a few guys wanting to jack the prices up could introduce fake data into the calculations?
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Adweno » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:52 pm

Hmm thats very good notice Gunnar. But newbies would like to prevent themselves from being scammed.
Adweno

Postby _Gunnar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Adweno wrote:Hmm thats very good notice Gunnar. But newbies would like to prevent themselves from being scammed.

what does scamming have to do with this?

also, everyone has access to the forums where they can see what is for sale and for how much, its not really very hard to get a rough idea of average prices.
ImageImageImage
Darwoth wrote:tradewinds is gunnar
Brego wrote:***** STUPID GUNNAR!

great minds
_Gunnar

Postby watcher2554 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:00 am

Its basicly a free market. Some items can be sold for a set price to the vendors thus establishing a baseline for those items while the price of every other item out there is then goverened by free market principles. Primarily the costs of manufacturing (recipe items, etc...) and supply/demand ratios that most any market seller/buyer use in determining at what prices to offer/buy.

I'm new in Salem, but over time prices will regulate to a stablized average for individual items. I say this as a gamer with a lot of experience in other games of this genre. An example would be from the game 'Wurm Online' where the base currency for any single action (an action being the creation of any 1 item from a single menu selection..i.e digging 1 dirt) is about 10 iron coin. Another Example would be 10 nails as a base currency paid for very low ql items in the game 'Xsyon'.

You get the picture.

So what is really going on is you are wanting to find a common base from which to determin value of items. If you can do this, you don't need an index/price list. The problem comes when determining rareity of foraged/found items. As the game is still in Beta, and populations are still fairly low, the specific details needed to find your common base are very much in flux. So for now, the easiest thing to do would be spend time and read the price lists already posted by the more consistant sellers in "The Trade-Wind" Forum. Its not hard to get a decent gauge of current prices from there..though many items just are not listed. Thats when you have to revert to old fasioned haggling....just ask how much someone wants for the item and you decide to take the offer, decline the offer or make a counter offer of your own.

Don't know if this helped at all or just added to the mess.
watcher2554

Return to City upon a Hill