Salem Rise and Shiny is up.

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Salem Rise and Shiny is up.

Postby Ass_Kraken » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:01 am

HindMAN wrote:As far as how the "review" went.. it is not and never was a review. I even explain this at the beginning of the hour long video I did... the same thing I have done for the last 2.5 years.

It is clearly a review even if you didn't call it that. I can call you a dumb ass and it would be an insult even if I didn't title it as such.
Ass_Kraken

Postby harflimon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:10 am

"Cut, Print, Gay."
harflimon

Postby Mushibag » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:47 am

Sevenless wrote:But he did entirely miss the good points, partly because he never got a chance to see any of it before the big butt of salem firmly sat on him

This was why we brought him to our village, to show him some of the cooler aspects of the game, and allow him to experience it in a somewhat safe environment, with protection around. He played for a couple of hours, chatting with us in our village chat, and having questions answered, and much explained to him. I think he did get exposed to a lot of the better points of the game, but he simply chose to focus half of his article on a moral argument opposing free speech, and crying about losing his gear and being "scammed" out of his money, rather than focusing on the actual game itself.
Mushibag

Postby sabinati » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:00 am

HindMAN wrote:http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/25/rise-and-shiny-salem/

Ch-check it.

Beau

nice spam. reported.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby loftar » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:35 am

HindMAN wrote:I'm not a journalist, and do not like it when people call me one. Journalists have degrees.

I just need to point out that by the same qualifications, I'm not a programmer, either. :)

As for the whole "free speech" issue, I'm a bit surprised that you make an issue of it, in the light that it was only discussed for like half a minute in the stream and both you and Jorb seemed to have formed some kind of common understanding about it. At what point did it become such an issue? :)
loftar

Postby ramuller » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:18 am

My first impression of the whole free speech thing was he thinks that Paradox may find they can't "publish" the game in certain countries/juristictions if there aren't limits set: things like preying on minors and other criminal activity may need to be actively discouraged by the service provider.
Swordmage
ramuller

Postby Vibe » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:18 am

While I do agree that there should be some chat monitoring for the racial/discriminatory stuff, because it's unnecessary and doesn't contribute at all to making the game more interesting, this Massively article by Beau was very derogatory, half of it was either direct attack on devs for the chat thing, the rest was fitting the sarcastic "hardcore" in almost every other sentence. A bit of the article was good, rest was garbage.

If you're trying to show that you don't agree with the game or some of it's features, there are MUCH better ways to write it down.
Vibe

Postby Steve » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:28 am

Looks like the H&H community is showing their usual "Hardcore" attitude again. (With my apologies to Sevenless who is a noteable exception to the general hostility of that group.) Other than him most of the regular posters here seem to find pride in their inability to construct a forum post without using personal insults, bad language and general asshattery.

That's just so Hardcore.
Steve

Postby MrEllu » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:30 am

Firs half of the article is good. But the second half... Well, other night I had some unknown dude ingame calling me names. Who gives a one ****, I just laughed at him, and made a sarcastic joke. It is one unknown guy calling second unknown guy names, in a video game.. This is not real life, you can't just compare it to some guy being bullied in school every day because being gay. in real life that is an issue. But in video games, where people don't know each other, just call him stupid and move on, you might not even see him again.. I don't know why people make a big deal out of it, or even get mad when someone calls someone names in a video game??, I have never understood it. Maybe it is a cultural difference... Next time if you have a problem with something Jorb said you could have just told him you have a big problem with this aspect of the game on the stream, You asked him one question and he answered shortly. and you decided to make a huge deal out of it. Just seems like you stabbed him in the back..

And about "political correctness" sorry, I am politically incorrect ^^
MrEllu

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:54 pm

"Salem is neat in the way the designers have provided skills to level, but gaining enough knowledge to learn a new skill is done through an "inspirational." These are basically objects that the character studies (like a neat-looking rock) that give the character enough inspiration to become smarter, thereby opening the character's mind."

You said neat twice there. Not acceptable.
NO FUN ALLOWED

As for the text. It had some validity to it and it mirrors the interaction many new players have with Salem. We're looking at age-gates and the likes for legal reasons, and if anything needs to be added we will make sure it is :)

My main concern is the fact that such a large part of the text was about the streaming incident and whatever happened around it, especially since it was streamed and can't really reflect on how a noob would see the game.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill