Salem Rise and Shiny is up.

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Salem Rise and Shiny is up.

Postby Mushibag » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:18 am

Yeah, after rereading my comment, I agree that it may have been a little harsh. I stand by what I said, but acknowledge that it could have been more tactfully stated.
Mushibag

Postby Plazek » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:21 am

Cool, it's my opinion you should cut that bit from your article cause it was pretty rubbish.
Plazek

Postby colesie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:25 am

Can we not get an active player to do a Salem review or something? Like someone who actually understands and grasps the effort that goes into different things. Seeing a massive village is one thing but fully understanding what it took to make it and how impressive that is is another and these 7hour reviews just don't work for games like this.
Beep Boop Bop
My builds (Under Occupation)
Have you given haven a try? ◕‿◕
colesie

Postby Slayblaze » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:32 am

I think Beau did a fine job at a first impressions look at Salem, and gave his honest impressions as he always does. Although I don't always agree with everything he's written or said in streams in the past you can always count on his honesty and insight into how early impressions of any game might play out with somebody who has chosen to install a game and try it out for a few hours, and then express their initial reactions. His impressions fall in line pretty accurately to what a large percentage of gamers are likely to agree with in the case of this review, and in fact I thought he conducted himself really well during the game and his resulting death including the loss of purchased silver. He really took it in stride - he knew what he was getting himself into in that regard.
______
Slayblaze

Postby frozencanadian » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:56 am

HindMAN wrote:I'm not a journalist, and do not like it when people call me one. Journalists have degrees.

The article very clearly states how I play the game and how it is a first impression. Also, note the opinion tag.

Beau

No, not all journalists have degrees, and you posted it as review, on a review site, and your entitled to your opinions in it about the game. However, you personally attacked the devs over that quote with an outright idiots use of the concepts of political correctness and freedom of speech so don't be all emo on the internet when people give you backlash for it. Ah, but right you come off as one of those types that if anyone differs from your line of thought that their comments are some horrible attack! *gasp*

Also, since I'm basically rant at this point, may as well add in stop signing your bloody posts. Hate that ****. I can clearly see the post is from you, it says by the avatar, like the rest of the internet.
frozencanadian

Postby Dallane » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:28 am

typical ****** gaming journalism. jorb should of gave him mountain dew and doritos to fuel his american fire for a decent review.

HARDCORE MOTHER *****
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby _Gunnar » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:29 am

I actually quite liked the review up to the point where you started saying things like just because something is allowed it is supported (racism, homophobia, etc). While i fundamentally disagree with jorb's political philosophy in certain ways, this is one thing that we actually agree on, and the sort of illogical non sequitur which you state is not at all useful.

One of the wonderful things about Salem is that power is pretty much solely in your hands - if you are sufficiently motivated, you can take action against those people insulting you or your beliefs, up to killing them and razing their town if you have sufficient numbers and resources. Salem does in fact welcome all players; the homophobes, homosexuals, racists, minorities, are all present, happily slaughtering each other like there is no tomorrow.

Perhaps children should not play Salem*, but I would say that it cannot be up to people creating things on the internet to police who uses their creations - why not let their parents decide? I think if there was a rule against expressing certain opinions in game, it would be utterly unenforceable, and as such it would be completely morally bankrupt to even have such a rule. If the game is balanced correctly it will be possible to group together to enforce your own ideology in game, which will no doubt be rather fascinating.

I might agree that there does need to be more of an explicit warning about the way in which you can rapidly lose purchased items, however.

*this would probably include most of the people who were bothering you though ^^
ImageImageImage
Darwoth wrote:tradewinds is gunnar
Brego wrote:***** STUPID GUNNAR!

great minds
_Gunnar

Postby painhertz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:06 am

Methinks someone is still butthurt about dying.
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby Sevenless » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:28 am

To be fair, he accurately summed up the dark anus covered side of Salem quite nicely. I love Jorb, but he gets very... hmm... sassy(?) about his particular requirements for a game to spring from his loins. It's not about creating the most accessible game, or the most crowd friendly or even the most profitable, it's about creating his vision. That is both a good and bad thing in context of game dev. Also the community is aggressive, and tends to spout words that would make my grandmother die of fright (she swears like a sailor).

But he did entirely miss the good points, partly because he never got a chance to see any of it before the big butt of salem firmly sat on him. And I entirely blame whoever thought it would be a good idea to livestream his interaction with the game. That's like getting someone to try out Call of Duty when every time they enter a map a big glowing blip appears on all the enemies radar.

Just stupid.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby alloin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:55 am

staxjax wrote:The actual content in your review is severely lacking in content and bashing a developer for his answer to your silly question is just bad form. Needless to say, I am dissapointed in your review of Salem. Had you actually spent your time playing the game instead of partaking in a flamewar on the forums, or even went to a different [newer] server, you would have had a much brighter outlook on the game. Instead, you chose to go to a server where there is a notorious group of mouthy 'indians' that live off the tears of your kind. You pretty much gave into them by writing a ****** review, when the whole reason that I offered to show you the game's potential was to avoid having to read another bad carebearish noob review.

If I see your charactaer log in anywhere around my base, you are ***** dead.

Hypocrit much ?

you seem not better then those 'indians', white man !
jorb wrote:all I see is misplaced machismo and a lot of very cheap talk. ^^

Darwat confirmed scrub!
alloin
Customer

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill