Wipe after open beta?

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Wipe after open beta?

Postby finnr » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:21 pm

I have a question and I could not find an answer.

Will there be a wipe after open beta? Can we now introduce money and what will happen to them? Will my characters and silver?
finnr

Re: Wipe after open beta?

Postby Dallane » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:26 pm

finnr wrote:I have a question and I could not find an answer.

Will there be a wipe after open beta? Can we now introduce money and what will happen to them? Will my characters and silver?

no plans for a wipe. only way its going down is if something massive happens. fairly sure moo said somewhere there would be some kind of reimbursement but i'm not 100% sure.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Sevenless » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:45 pm

It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Droj » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Question should be, Will there be new worlds come open beta?
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby Sevenless » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:46 pm

Worlds take ~2-3 months to hit the "maturity" phase where large powers are established and start infighting, and most of the grunt work of building vaults/towns is done. That'll put Roa and James 1-2 months off maturity if open beta is early dec.

I'm tempted to hope no, just to see what kind of population the servers can actually handle successfully.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Dallane » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Sevenless wrote:Worlds take ~2-3 months to hit the "maturity" phase where large powers are established and start infighting, and most of the grunt work of building vaults/towns is done. That'll put Roa and James 1-2 months off maturity if open beta is early dec.

I'm tempted to hope no, just to see what kind of population the servers can actually handle successfully.

all thats already going down on roa lol
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Droj » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Some 200 keys going out every day but the overall population hasn't increased significantly from what I've seen. It would be interesting to see the actual play time of new accounts.
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby Darwoth » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:21 pm

like most betas the vast majority of the keys distributed are probably never even used, if folks stopped referring to the game as being in "beta" there would also be a higher population on account of the fact folks typically consider the work they put in during a beta temporary and are probably unaware that no wipes are planned.
Darwoth

Postby Mushibag » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:27 pm

finnr wrote:I have a question and I could not find an answer.

Try using the search feature next time, and check the FAQ...
Mushibag

Postby inabearsuit » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:01 am

I'm actually curious how NOT having a wipe will affect new comers once the game is "released". Obviously, I don't want to lose the work I've put into the game already. But if there are already large skilled players, big settlements, established powers, etc... that could greatly discourage new players from joining because they may feel like there is no hope for them to get anywhere. Of course, this is definitely a hardcore game with perma death and open world pvp. So perhaps they should expect a tough beginning.

I will say, as I have only been playing a week... all the places I've checked for good claim land are already largely built up and I felt like I was being pushed into BFE with bad biomes. I'm not discouraged yet, but it felt like I was getting the leftovers from players who have been in beta for a long time. Obviously, joining a game that has been released for a long time... you already know you will be far behind most players, but joining a newly 'released' game and already being far behind the curve is a bit different.

And as mentioned early in this thread, people may not bother with beta because they'll assume a wipe will happen and don't want to play now (and getting a nasty surprise when they join the released version). Although I'm sure there will be more 'cities' (servers) upon release that will be fresh. Perhaps a notation to new players that servers X, Y, and Z are established already and servers A, B, and C are new and not built up.

A bit of a ramble from some thoughts I had the other day :D
inabearsuit

Next

Return to City upon a Hill