Wipe after open beta?

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Wipe after open beta?

Postby Sevenless » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:01 am

ramuller wrote:
Sevenless wrote:There will be server travel apparently. How the heck that'll work we don't know. New servers will be given X time to mature and defend themselves though before griefers travel over.

It sound like the devs want to promote trade between the servers. Maybe it could be set up so you only have the crime skills on your home server.

Edit: of course the other problem is that a group wanting multi-verse dominance can trade high purity seed and dowsing rod with their local chapter.

Honestly? I'm fine with the concept of big raiders travelling and raiding. BUT. I want them to have to invest time into each server if they want the ability to raid. And I honestly see the system working that way. Want to raid in Roa? You'll need a fortress in roa. Etc.

I don't think raiders will be able to jump server to server as a way to escape their deeds. And I will actively argue against it if the devs lean that way.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Dallane » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:23 am

I hope that the devs will let all servers travel. If not i would like a refund of some sort on the new servers instead of being stuck on the dead ones.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Sevenless » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:26 am

Dallane wrote:I hope that the devs will let all servers travel. If not i would like a refund of some sort on the new servers instead of being stuck on the dead ones.

They said no matter what that new release servers will be given time to mature before travel is possible to them.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby ElCapitan1701 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:35 am

Dallane wrote:I hope that the devs will let all servers travel. If not i would like a refund of some sort on the new servers instead of being stuck on the dead ones.

You should mention that to your guys killing everybody on the old servers. Maybe if you would care more for community those servers wouldn`t be dead.
ElCapitan1701

Postby Dallane » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:39 am

ElCapitan1701 wrote:

You should mention that to your guys killing everybody on the old servers. Maybe if you would care more for community those servers wouldn`t be dead.

Only people "my guys" have killed are criminal scum. Again plz play the game and stop attacking things you obviously are clueless about.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby TeckXKnight » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:22 pm

ElCapitan1701 wrote:

But Plymouth is just as active as the new servers are? I'm not sure why you're saying it's dead?
TeckXKnight

Postby Sevenless » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:34 pm

Plymouth is the least active server. That being said, it still has 2/3'rds the pop that Roa has at peak. Least active =/= inactive in this case.
Sevenless

Postby ramuller » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:47 pm

Sevenless wrote:Plymouth is the least active server. That being said, it still has 2/3'rds the pop that Roa has at peak. Least active =/= inactive in this case.

This leads me to believe that perhaps the ability to start new characters on a fresh server is more fun than operating established characters. Part of this is probably that we just need a bunch more skills to provide more stuff for high level characters to do when they aren't out raiding.

However, it may also be that there is less and less low hanging raiding fruit so the time between raiding successes increases. If this is correct, then turning established raiding communities loose on new servers will result in yet more people on the new servers gobbling up that low hanging fruit, driving those players who provide that fruit to yet another new server.
Swordmage
ramuller

Postby Sevenless » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:23 pm

ramuller wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Plymouth is the least active server. That being said, it still has 2/3'rds the pop that Roa has at peak. Least active =/= inactive in this case.

This leads me to believe that perhaps the ability to start new characters on a fresh server is more fun than operating established characters. Part of this is probably that we just need a bunch more skills to provide more stuff for high level characters to do when they aren't out raiding.

However, it may also be that there is less and less low hanging raiding fruit so the time between raiding successes increases. If this is correct, then turning established raiding communities loose on new servers will result in yet more people on the new servers gobbling up that low hanging fruit, driving those players who provide that fruit to yet another new server.

Generally speaking that's not far off the mark. Most of plymouth is either out of the way of major raiders, or well enough defended that the raiders are leaving them alone.

You've got to remember that people like the idea of fresh areas to colonize. I think this effect isn't caused by players migrating from plymouth to other servers, I think it's the new keys being released. It's generally known in most games that have "shards" that you'll be less behind the curve if you go to the newest one. Even casuals like the idea of not being further behind than necessary.

So what I'd expect is that new servers are almost entirely new accounts playing. Plymouth will have gotten some new accounts (from people just not reading much) and will have its backbone community still in place.

Edit: And jamestown is less popular than roa because the area around the spawn has a fair number of ridges. New players get frustrated with that and either quit or try another server from what I've heard.
Sevenless

Previous

Return to City upon a Hill