After 2 years.....

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: After 2 years.....

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:05 pm

Andromedan wrote:This is an interesting discussion. When is the 'right' sort of meaning and sense of purpose derived from gameplay, and is Salem living up to that? In my opinion, Salem is.

The problem with getting it right, is that most people start to complain because they feel their gain/reward is not gotten quick/easy enough, or that they are at a disadvantage in relation to other players. What these people want - like with all things in life - is the best of both worlds. Having the thrill of danger and loss lurking from all sides, having an easy time raiding people, and being risk-free and having it all. That's an absolute contradiction. Part of the game has to attempt to make you feel like ****, in order for you to feel you are succeeding at something when you overcome the obstacle, and become more knowledgeable and capable. Facing the trials as a newbie will weed out the incapable, undetermined, and the aformentioned type.

However, accepting the reality behind a properly developed and balanced virtual reality does not guarantee happiness for everyone, like IRL. Those who are smarter, more devious, and/or have too much time on their hands, will often be at an advantage, certainly towards soloists. It doesn't matter how well-designed a game is, this is an unquestionable outcome. Thusly, such a game leads to a more concentrated and focused community, that knows how to be resistent to the game's pitfalls, like how a fungal/bacterial infection can become resistent after a while; it finds ways. This in itself should be a major challenge for the game developer I would think.

Then there's the problem of players not willing to repeat the thousands of hours of gameplay after being wiped out, unless it's on a fresh server.

I get where John is coming from, at least I believe so. He 'hates' the spoiled mentality, and that tells me that he gets it.

<3
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Mazavalt » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:25 pm

JohnCarver wrote:
Andromedan wrote:This is an interesting discussion. When is the 'right' sort of meaning and sense of purpose derived from gameplay, and is Salem living up to that? In my opinion, Salem is.

The problem with getting it right, is that most people start to complain because they feel their gain/reward is not gotten quick/easy enough, or that they are at a disadvantage in relation to other players. What these people want - like with all things in life - is the best of both worlds. Having the thrill of danger and loss lurking from all sides, having an easy time raiding people, and being risk-free and having it all. That's an absolute contradiction. Part of the game has to attempt to make you feel like ****, in order for you to feel you are succeeding at something when you overcome the obstacle, and become more knowledgeable and capable. Facing the trials as a newbie will weed out the incapable, undetermined, and the aformentioned type.

However, accepting the reality behind a properly developed and balanced virtual reality does not guarantee happiness for everyone, like IRL. Those who are smarter, more devious, and/or have too much time on their hands, will often be at an advantage, certainly towards soloists. It doesn't matter how well-designed a game is, this is an unquestionable outcome. Thusly, such a game leads to a more concentrated and focused community, that knows how to be resistent to the game's pitfalls, like how a fungal/bacterial infection can become resistent after a while; it finds ways. This in itself should be a major challenge for the game developer I would think.

Then there's the problem of players not willing to repeat the thousands of hours of gameplay after being wiped out, unless it's on a fresh server.

I get where John is coming from, at least I believe so. He 'hates' the spoiled mentality, and that tells me that he gets it.

<3

And yet i cant log in on 1 account... since "hes alive" on my page but obvious havent logged in in 2 years...... and second is stuck as ice cube with Hypo thing stuck at 67. DOesnt die tho i logged on him for 2 hours not move NOTHING. Just some Data to fill DB.....
Mazavalt

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 pm

Mazavalt wrote:
And yet i cant log in on 1 account... since "hes alive" on my page but obvious havent logged in in 2 years...... and second is stuck as ice cube with Hypo thing stuck at 67. DOesnt die tho i logged on him for 2 hours not move NOTHING. Just some Data to fill DB.....

He will die soon enough as an ice cube to madness. Then you can try again, this time not failing miserably and turning into ice.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby ceedat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:44 pm

And yet i cant log in on 1 account... since "hes alive" on my page but obvious havent logged in in 2 years...... and second is stuck as ice cube with Hypo thing stuck at 67. DOesnt die tho i logged on him for 2 hours not move NOTHING. Just some Data to fill DB.....[/quote]

i will be online for several hours tonight, if you actually want to use that frozen guy send me a PM and i will unfreeze him
ceedat

Postby Mazavalt » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:13 pm

JohnCarver wrote:
Mazavalt wrote:

He will die soon enough as an ice cube to madness. Then you can try again, this time not failing miserably and turning into ice.

failing miserably..uhm How much u want for this game John? btw Ur company is not registered anymore....
Mazavalt

Postby thedarklore » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:33 pm

[quote="Mazavalt"][quote="JohnCarver"][quote="Mazavalt"]

And yet i cant log in on 1 account... since "hes alive" on my page but obvious havent logged in in 2 years...... and second is stuck as ice cube with Hypo thing stuck at 67. DOesnt die tho i logged on him for 2 hours not move NOTHING. Just some Data to fill DB.....[/quote]

He will die soon enough as an ice cube to madness. Then you can try again, this time not failing miserably and turning into ice.[/quote]
failing miserably..uhm How much u want for this game John? btw Ur company is not registered anymore....[/quote]
http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/vie ... 73#p764146
you pretty much sound like this guy :lol:
thedarklore

Postby Mazavalt » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:59 am

Just made a fifth character..... Cant log it in again. I just inherit and Cant log it in game.... Huge issues, HUGE, John
Mazavalt

Postby Adelewhy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:02 am

Mazavalt wrote:Just made a fifth character..... Cant log it in again. I just inherit and Cant log it in game.... Huge issues, HUGE, John

If you want help start with asking for it.. in the help section. Fully explain the problem you need help with. You got little sympathy here because you launched into a "omg this game is so hard" speech about everything and in city upon a hill of all places....
Adelewhy

Postby HDHB » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:12 am

Is it possible that the character you cannot login and the one you inherited from were both Popham characters? Reading the forums or the server status page that's permanently linked to on any page on the forums would've educated you about Popham's ending and it being offline permanently. Try choosing Providence or Concord when sailing to the new world.

Also, like others have pointed out already, if you want actual help you should post in the Help! section of the forums. After 2 years one would expect you know how to use a game forum.
Jesus died for our sins. You should do the same.
HDHB

Postby Mazavalt » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:47 am

HDHB wrote:Is it possible that the character you cannot login and the one you inherited from were both Popham characters? Reading the forums or the server status page that's permanently linked to on any page on the forums would've educated you about Popham's ending and it being offline permanently. Try choosing Providence or Concord when sailing to the new world.

Also, like others have pointed out already, if you want actual help you should post in the Help! section of the forums. After 2 years one would expect you know how to use a game forum.

Isnt easier to just delete them from the list? Now i have 5 characters i can play only 2......... and lol this game is hard? If u notice my account is made in 2013, Mortal moments Inc. is done in 2014.....
Mazavalt

Previous

Return to City upon a Hill