John Carver is a muggle

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: John Carver is a muggle

Postby TheDuke86 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Dallane wrote:
Saying that a childrens book series is going to become a classic like LOTR is beyond retarded. Go back and actually looks at the books instead of bowing down to them. They are all terribly written. Notice how all her new stuff blows and you don't hear about it?

The simple fact that it is one of the most sold series in the world simply puts you in the minority of its popularity. You may hate it, but the series is extreamly popular. HP has become a power house brand, the fact that people still flock to the plays and creat more story’s involved in that universe shows that the HP brand has made a mark. To deny that is retarded.

Again saying the books are poorly written is based on your opinion, but how are you definingi “poorly written”? Shakespeare works of art? Homers odyssey? Mobey *****? How do you define something written well? In my opinion something that is “well written” is when they communicate a message or idea or create a world people love. Which again, HP is one of the largest selling series in the world. It’s popularity speaks for itself. To say that something that appeals to a minority or “true fantasy fans” as “well written” is fanatisism and nonsense.

Notice how most of the movies after retern of the Jedi blow, and yet people still flock to the theaters and watch sheepishly? That’s the power of branding and marketing. I also watched fantastic beasts I liked it. Even if people on a majority disliked it(which was not the case), the brand will still make money and thus why you see more movies involved in that universe.

This is why I love capitalism, people want something and those keep supplying the need of people want it enough:)
WWJCD; What Would John Carver Do!
-The Duke
TheDuke86

Postby Dallane » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:57 pm

TheDuke86 wrote:
Dallane wrote:
Saying that a childrens book series is going to become a classic like LOTR is beyond retarded. Go back and actually looks at the books instead of bowing down to them. They are all terribly written. Notice how all her new stuff blows and you don't hear about it?

The simple fact that it is one of the most sold series in the world simply puts you in the minority of its popularity. You may hate it, but the series is extreamly popular. HP has become a power house brand, the fact that people still flock to the plays and creat more story’s involved in that universe shows that the HP brand has made a mark. To deny that is retarded.

Again saying the books are poorly written is based on your opinion, but how are you definingi “poorly written”? Shakespeare works of art? Homers odyssey? Mobey *****? How do you define something written well? In my opinion something that is “well written” is when they communicate a message or idea or create a world people love. Which again, HP is one of the largest selling series in the world. It’s popularity speaks for itself. To say that something that appeals to a minority or “true fantasy fans” as “well written” is fanatisism and nonsense.

Notice how most of the movies after retern of the Jedi blow, and yet people still flock to the theaters and watch sheepishly? That’s the power of branding and marketing. I also watched fantastic beasts I liked it. Even if people on a majority disliked it(which was not the case), the brand will still make money and thus why you see more movies involved in that universe.

This is why I love capitalism, people want something and those keep supplying the need of people want it enough:)

When did I say I didn't like HP? I've bought the books and movies and enjoyed them for what they are. I'm saying its poorly written because it is. Nothing is that original with HP and after the hype of the original series died down it never recovered like it use to be. FBAWTFT sold ok and did ok in the box office but nothing compared to the other movies. A lot of people didn't like FBAWTFT. I enjoyed it. It's almost universally agreed that the new play/book is trash and makes zero sense. The HP story is fairly dead. I'd rather see what kind of shenanigans his kids get into if anything. Maybe that one gets into slitherine and turns into a dark wizard, maybe harry slips and does something shaddy or pisses off the wrong dark wizard and the kids get involved. Instead we have some weird ass time travel nonsense.

Everything you said has zero to do with saying that it will be a classic like LOTR. No one is going to be a Rowling scholar. HP is a childrens book series and will still be popular for some time. No where am I arguing that. I'm saying that it will never be a classic like the LOTR is. You won't see these books being studied in school unless that school went straight retarded.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby TotalyMeow » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:47 am

People all confuse classic with popularity, probably because the media is always saying something is an 'instant classic' just because it's popular. But part of what makes a classic a classic is that it stands the test of time and is still enjoyed by readers decades after it was written. I once heard 150 years is the minimum for a book, but I think that's arbitrary. What's important is that it is still relatable to successive generations long after the initial hype is over, the marketing is done, the original fans are gone, and even the culture has changed. If people still read the book and love it then, it's a classic.

I think HP is an overhyped kids series like the sort of escapist fantasy you might have in your own head where the canon can be revised over and over based on how you feel that particular day and it doesn't matter because you're just having fun. HP is fun, but it's not good. It's not even that great for kids as some of the concepts get a bit too adult. I enjoyed reading it, but I wouldn't bother with a second read. When it comes to high fantasy and magic, there are quite a few books I'd recommend over these; books with better plots and more internal consistency.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Previous

Return to City upon a Hill