Suggestions on content coverage for new player video series

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Suggestions on content coverage for new player video series

Postby Eegore » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:36 am

Ok so here's the idea, I see a lot of new players coming in that neccesarily don't "get" the game, or don't know what to do. Which is perfectly ok, because as this game is not your "typical game", the learning curve is very steep, and everyone was new once. Now here's my idea, I'm planning on starting a new character, and record and explain everything i do and the purpose of such actions for like the first 4-5 hours of the game, from starting your new character to killing animals, etc. So I am looking for community input from all the veterans to new people, what do you guys think should be explained mostly? What do you think would help the new players the most, and what do you think would overall benefit the game for new players out there? I'm looking forward to your responses!
Eegore

Re: Suggestions on content coverage for new player video ser

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:02 pm

Seems like there's been a few issues with the "new" combat system in that it's not your typical "stand there and punch till dead" system. Instead, it's more like "Punch Out" and you have to know how to defend yourself and not get hit or at least soften the blow.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Plleeeeeeeeeeeease Make a vidya about how to hunt crickets, beaver and deer. It's very required, and as someone pointed out words just can't cut it. I would love to have something to link for people who ask about it.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Droj » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:58 pm

Trading....

You'd be surprised how many times a new player asks me; "So, how do we trade then?" before a trade.

Maybe a short video explaining this, the dangers of, avoiding scams, using a purse/splitting silver and how to memorize/kin your trade partner beforehand.
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby Eegore » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:15 pm

thanks for the replys guys! Those are all good ideas! I will cover all of that in the series I plan on doing.
Eegore

Postby Mushibag » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:38 pm

I think there definitely should be some focus on beginning gluttony. This makes such a huge difference in a new pilgrim's experience, yet so many of these new lil fellas have no idea where to start.
Mushibag

Postby jwhitehorn » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:08 pm

I think there should be a video on interacting with Tirbal members on the server. So many new players end up dieing simply because they do not know the appropriate things to do or say when a Native meets them off the claim.

Chief PeePooKaKa
MM Tribe
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
jwhitehorn

Return to City upon a Hill