Was Salem a better game before MM took over?

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Was Salem a better game before MM took over?

Postby Goodman12 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:25 pm

Lazun123 wrote:They basicly took out murder from the game:/ could you imagin if they did the same to Salem?

They're close enough to removing murder from the game already.
Dallane wrote:Bu Bu BUT WE WERE ABLE TO TEAR DOWN A ENTIRE VILLAGE IN A HOUR! WE CANT GRIEF PEOPLE AS HARD NOW!!!!!

Yes, I'd rather tear down someone's base in 1 hour than not being able to tear it down at all since they can easily repair after you spend countless hours doing damage.
Of course I would prefer a healthy balance between the 2 but if I were to choose I would always go with the one which yields more drama.
Darwoth wrote:this is a stupid thread, the game is better in every single aspect of play by several fold over. pvp combat is massively better and even raiding is "better" than it used to be in terms of gameplay, the only aspect it lacks in vs before is time ratios due to the retarded claim drain and things like brazier crits. raiding needs far more work than that obviously, but strictly comparing to the "old days" there is not much of a comparison there either.

The game is better in terms of having more activities to do, more skills to obtain, higher biles to obtain, much more incentive to build larger bases however raiding and combat are 100% worse than it was in the old days. The reason why I said salem is worse atm is strictly because raiding and pvp are the only aspects of the game I enjoy and those are the aspects of the game which was taken away after MM's take over.
Riolic wrote:The only reason raids still happen is because Goodman is a stubborn *******.
The rest are just vets pk'ing newbs
Goodman12

Postby Chrumps » Wed May 31, 2017 7:04 pm

In my perception some changes to raiding were intended to give the defending party a warning period before their base is raided. Given the structure of the player's community this is not going to change.
The part that I do not like in that concept is ACTIVE draining of defences, spending lots of time waiting for crime debuff to wear off rather than waiting offline, even if it takes more time.
Chrumps

Postby Goodman12 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:10 pm

Chrumps wrote:In my perception some changes to raiding were intended to give the defending party a warning period before their base is raided. Given the structure of the player's community this is not going to change.

This has been around for a long time and was not a change made under MM's rein
Chrumps wrote:The part that I do not like in that concept is ACTIVE draining of defences, spending lots of time waiting for crime debuff to wear off rather than waiting offline, even if it takes more time.

...............?
Riolic wrote:The only reason raids still happen is because Goodman is a stubborn *******.
The rest are just vets pk'ing newbs
Goodman12

Postby TotalyMeow » Wed May 31, 2017 7:12 pm

Goodman12 wrote:
Chrumps wrote:The part that I do not like in that concept is ACTIVE draining of defences, spending lots of time waiting for crime debuff to wear off rather than waiting offline, even if it takes more time.

...............?

He'd like to log off while under a crime debuff and just wait offline for it to wear out.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Reviresco » Wed May 31, 2017 7:15 pm

Could you survive as a non-ultrahardcore hermit in ye olden days? I wasn't around then.
Reviresco

Postby Lazun123 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:27 pm

Reviresco wrote:Could you survive as a non-ultrahardcore hermit in ye olden days? I wasn't around then.

You still can as a hurmit, you just need the industry to either keep your alt alive of not stockted, or have enough industry to just pump out a million crime and pvp Alts.
WWJCD
Lazun123

Postby Chrumps » Wed May 31, 2017 7:34 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:He'd like to log off while under a crime debuff and just wait offline for it to wear out.

Not exactly, but even now there are ways to wait out crime debuff *almost* safely.
But from now on, I am going to enjoy listening to other's whining rather than taking part in it.
Chrumps

Postby MaxPlanck » Wed May 31, 2017 8:29 pm

Chrumps wrote:
TotalyMeow wrote:He'd like to log off while under a crime debuff and just wait offline for it to wear out.

Not exactly, but even now there are ways to wait out crime debuff *almost* safely.
But from now on, I am going to enjoy listening to other's whining rather than taking part in it.

You must be talking about waiting out summonable scents because waiting out crime debuffs is generally safe since you have to walk far away from the scene of the crime to make it go down faster.

As for summonable scents, I think it would be stupid to be allowed to log off without worrying being stocked, or just logging off to speed up scent decay is also stupid. Tobacco is a heavy reason to leave crime characters logged on and wait it out safely, but if you don't have a big enough base to stop a TbC from reaching the leanto/pclaim of the crime character then it doesn't matter if you stayed logged on or not.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Judaism » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:09 am

He probably means that he wants to see structures that slowely drain defenses or that they'll stay active, (with a fuel drain) after the perperator has already left for a while. So that it becomes either more active or more passive. Any dedicated raider has an asset nearby anyway which allows him to stay rather save for the debuff duration, so the entire thing does do nothing other than slow down the raid, forcing the raiders to passively wait for accumulative hours and hours. We used to tab out during that time and would just do other stuff, in a serious raid you would just switch characters and do ''almost'' continues runs which would require a ton of characters and very good computers to run 5+ clients. Its entirely unbalanced that you have to push an army of characters instead of just making valuable characters, that has counted ever since MM took over, it became an alt game due to the boundaries they set-up.

If the crime debuff would be replaced into a direct reset off-claim instead, that would allow much faster paced runs, it still woudn't fix the percentage based damage from defense structures. In most cases a 800 black-bile character could only sustain for around 25% longer than a 500 biled character and a 500 biled character hardly could sustain longer than a 300 biled character. So it would force you to spam low black-biled alts, run many clients and repeatedly tank the damage. The raider is not running any risks due to the low investment and is more efficient when he runs multiple low-biled characters instead of going thru the effort of making valuable characters.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Realak » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:12 pm

/two cents
In June of 2014, Trial by Combat was added which has to be without a doubt the stupidest over punish mechanic this game has ever seen, or any game actually.
Literally all the success Carver had as PeePooKaKa and all the fun we had would have been negated if this mechanic existed back then.
At least back then you had to fight to someones lean-to in order to get the kill. 1 active defender could easily repel a zerg on their town if it had proper defenses.
The reason so many people bit the dust back then was the laughable amount of defense most people put up on their claim.
The game back then was fine, people just didn't understand that 1 stonewall wall and an unprotected brazier just wasn't going to cut it.

Current mechanics dictate why even bother to play the game. Heavily heavily promotes alt spam. The fact that "murder alts" even came about is incredibly sad.
I understand that if you don't like leaving scents, that is fine. You are gucci. However, It just seems stupid as ***** to lose a character months/years are invested upon because you went to bed that night and in 4 hours you lost everything. Sure you can be "hyper alert" for 18 days after a murder, but really? After the first few days of 3hours 30 mins sleep/away from the game lest you die I actually just said "***** it" on one of my old mains and dipped back to the real world. Aint no American got time for **** like that and hopes to maintain a semblance of a life.
A good example of this would be e-sports that Koreans dominate in. Let's take LoL and Starcraft 2. Over there they play the game like a job, and then some. Even the top tier NA/non Korean players just can't keep up with that work ethic that you literally cannot maintain in America. Someone retired and wealthy like Darwoth would be the only way to compete with that work ethic.

Couldn't even get us a full 8 hours. Add in timezone differences and other stupid **** and this mechanic is an absolute *****.
Carver was against laying someones base flat and that's fine. I think just changing some health values and what not including wall health would have been much better then a "punish" mechanic.
And now on top of that, an active player gets a warning with a waste claim on top of that!

No endgame dungeons, epic raid world monsters, epic quests. Nothing. The humor purity grind literally is for the pvp endgame.
Making 20 alts may be fun for some folks, but in the case of this game it's a tad extreme.

In conclusion,
Instead of all these fruity wack ass mechanics JC introduced some easy changes to health values and maybe even making certain hard to build structures nigh invulnerable would have been the correct path. Would anyone really have cared if they couldn't destroy someones kiln and ovens and **** during a raid to at least give the person who was raiding something to fall back on? Leaving his basic infrastructure in place after being raided for him to make a decent recovery if he put in the effort wouldn't have bothered anyone I don't think. I think waste claim was a good one though, gave at least some warning and eliminates the 3am "wake up" raids that used to happen.
I remember many,many a night in MM tribe where we would wake up at like 3am for a raid, which was a little unfair honestly imo.

Real life happens, including sleep. So either you get used to the alt life or you are in for a rude awakening because some basement dweller trial by combats you within 4 hours in the wee hours of the night.
/Puke

Edit: To also give some pras where pras is due. A lot of the content released by Mortal Moments not based around raiding has been great!
I still love ya old man
Oops. I Dropped My Doritos. ¦]
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲
Realak

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill