Was Salem a better game before MM took over?

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Was Salem a better game before MM took over?

Postby DarkNacht » Tue May 30, 2017 10:27 pm

There has been problems under MM but post reset Salem under jorbtar was mostly garbage.
DarkNacht

Postby Lazun123 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:42 am

And yet they kept the game from sinking and allowing several people the opportunity to play a game that is free of charge with the time they put aside from RL demands to maintain. Jorb and Loftar pushed this game aside, so to assume or suggest this game would be in a better condition under them is just retarded. If jorb and loftar focused their attention on only Salem, sure we may have a real discussion, this did not happen. So this is just another crafty way of ***** about a game nobody is forcing you to play or pay for.

As mentioned earlier, the game has a healthy player base, and even despite public declarations of quitting and leaving this game, people still return to it, and still engage in a forum to a game they no longer play. I played EVE for 6 long years, and it has been close to 5 years sense I played and I checked the forums once, for battle
Clinic. With that being said Salem must have some special magic to it still.
WWJCD
Lazun123

Postby Goodman12 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:07 am

Lazun123 wrote:Jorb and Loftar pushed this game aside, so to assume or suggest this game would be in a better condition under them is just retarded.

Literally the only thing you said directly referring to whether the game was better before MM took over.The question was IF salem WAS better before MM took over, not whether it would be better if Jorb+Loftar kept it which is impossible to know unless you're psychic

The answer to the question of whether salem is better under MM's control or Jorb/Loftar's control is strictly based on the type of player you are and the play-style you prefer.
Jorb & Loftar's main focus was providing a pvp game so isn't weird that a player who only enjoy that aspect of the game prefers their version.
MM's vision is clearly for salem to be a game for care-bears so I wouldn't expect most of you to prefer salem in it's old times.
I do agree that my statement on MM's rein being a failure was quite harsh and somewhat untrue.
What I really meant was that from the beginning of their rein over salem to the present they have failed to make salem into the game that it had always been advertised as and is current being advertised to be which is a PVP GAME and in my eyes that is failure.
Riolic wrote:The only reason raids still happen is because Goodman is a stubborn *******.
The rest are just vets pk'ing newbs
Goodman12

Postby Lazun123 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:33 am

Goodman12 wrote:
Lazun123 wrote:Jorb and Loftar pushed this game aside, so to assume or suggest this game would be in a better condition under them is just retarded.

Literally the only thing you said directly referring to whether the game was better before MM took over.The question was IF salem WAS better before MM took over, not whether it would be better if Jorb+Loftar kept it which is impossible to know unless you're psychic

The answer to the question of whether salem is better under MM's control or Jorb/Loftar's control is strictly based on the type of player you are and the play-style you prefer.
Jorb & Loftar's main focus was providing a pvp game so isn't weird that a player who only enjoy that aspect of the game prefers their version.
MM's vision is clearly for salem to be a game for care-bears so I wouldn't expect most of you to prefer salem in it's old times.
I do agree that my statement on MM's rein being a failure was quite harsh and somewhat untrue.
What I really meant was that from the beginning of their rein over salem to the present they have failed to make salem into the game that it had always been advertised as and is current being advertised to be which is a PVP GAME and in my eyes that is failure.

I can totally agree on the pvp aspect. Right now I feel it's the only thing that need some work. I wonder if the pvp changes were made on purpose to compensate for a dev who was going to be mia.

I can say if you are a fan of pvp I think it may have been worse under the demons loftar and jorb. Have you seen the HnH forums Or played latly? They basicly took out murder from the game:/ could you imagin if they did the same to Salem? Haven and Hearth has taken a huge leap to the carebear side. Those are the same devs that we're currently talking about. I think the types of games bring two very distinct types of players, pvpers that love the high consequence of lose, and those that like mincraft level of creation. My thoughts are devs will cater to those that bring in the monies, and you can't blame them, this isn't a charity. I base this on how both games have moved in the same direction and have watered down the pvp.
WWJCD
Lazun123

Postby TotalyMeow » Wed May 31, 2017 4:48 am

Goodman12 wrote:Literally the only thing you said directly referring to whether the game was better before MM took over.The question was IF salem WAS better before MM took over, not whether it would be better if Jorb+Loftar kept it which is impossible to know unless you're psychic

If you're only talking about the exact state of the game just before we bought it, weren't there like 5 players on the one server at that time?
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Dallane » Wed May 31, 2017 4:58 am

TotalyMeow wrote:
Goodman12 wrote:Literally the only thing you said directly referring to whether the game was better before MM took over.The question was IF salem WAS better before MM took over, not whether it would be better if Jorb+Loftar kept it which is impossible to know unless you're psychic

If you're only talking about the exact state of the game just before we bought it, weren't there like 5 players on the one server at that time?

Bu Bu BUT WE WERE ABLE TO TEAR DOWN A ENTIRE VILLAGE IN A HOUR! WE CANT GRIEF PEOPLE AS HARD NOW!!!!!
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby saltmummy » Wed May 31, 2017 6:38 am

All I remember is how tediously small the inventory was. I can't comment on the combat or much of anything else other than the tiny inventory and how tedious and convoluted the game felt. Oh, and the long space of time I spent not playing after that until about a year or so ago.
Darwoth wrote:you know, cause they were obviously fascist white supremacist burrito nazis.

I had a great dream where I was a handsome skeleton in a tower.
saltmummy

Postby Darwoth » Wed May 31, 2017 4:06 pm

this is a stupid thread, the game is better in every single aspect of play by several fold over. pvp combat is massively better and even raiding is "better" than it used to be in terms of gameplay, the only aspect it lacks in vs before is time ratios due to the retarded claim drain and things like brazier crits. raiding needs far more work than that obviously, but strictly comparing to the "old days" there is not much of a comparison there either.

and realistically when taking into account forbidden darwoth knowledge and various things the proletariat don't know about you can almost match the breach times before the steel wall/mortar patch if you have enough black bile because at that stage of raiding brazier draining was part of the process anyway.
Darwoth

Postby MaxPlanck » Wed May 31, 2017 5:28 pm

I agree, mortars are much too strong. High sparks and embers allow things to land in 2-3 seconds. If a spot is covered by mortar range and the place is active then you actually have 0% chance to be getting through any walls and you will probably lose that character that gets hit.(by an anvil)
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Judaism » Wed May 31, 2017 5:52 pm

Darwoth wrote:this is a stupid thread, the game is better in every single aspect of play by several fold over. pvp combat is massively better and even raiding is "better" than it used to be in terms of gameplay, the only aspect it lacks in vs before is time ratios due to the retarded claim drain and things like brazier crits. raiding needs far more work than that obviously, but strictly comparing to the "old days" there is not much of a comparison there either.

and realistically when taking into account forbidden darwoth knowledge and various things the proletariat don't know about you can almost match the breach times before the steel wall/mortar patch if you have enough black bile because at that stage of raiding brazier draining was part of the process anyway.

Its clearly not as I do not agree here with you. The PvP is not massively better at all, actually they made it so that you now can gauranteed get out of combat, that is assuming the watches, or various other items won't give you enough of an advantage already. Its almost entirely based upon preparation and since PvP hardly ever happens outside of towns or whatsoever getting straight up kills from this field is almost impossible, unless ofcourse the people do not care and go in willingly. The possibility to get dragged out of the map, into a controlled environment does not help from my perspective either.

Sure, I agree with the fact that it became more dynamic, you got to find ways around the loophole to have an advantage.

As for the raiding, active raiding is doomed in every single way vs active players. Raiding mediocre bases can still be done rather easy and quickly, raiding relevant bases however will likely consume multiple days and that would be with using quite an army of tankers and with hilarious mechanic ''exploits''. I just very much hate the thought of the difficulty of some bases, the ones that will crit you 5 times average per volley and those bases have also likely ''abused'' the Pclaim drainage.

I believe there should be more incentives, people should be forced more often to leave scents behind in their bases and they shoudn't be able to move out their items without severe risks (unless ofcourse they have said infrastructure set-up). Besides having some sort of legacy gains, or neat mechanics such as for example cannibalism to give other gains to raiders/pvp'ers would really be good for those type of players. As for the soak values, they should be adjusted, not nessesarily making it much easier but atleast give some meaning to having very strong characters.

With some work and some of the promised changes, Salem would likely be better PvP-wise and raiding-wise and would provide a healthy balance for deeply invested towns, however I do not think current Salem beats the ''old'' and fast paced Salem yet.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill