Compelled Speech in Canada

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Compelled Speech in Canada

Postby Ghoul » Mon May 22, 2017 11:41 pm

Bill c-16 was passed in Canada with no ammendments. The bill essentially says that if you disagree with someone's gender identity and refuse to recognize that identity verbally by use of proper pronouns and their preferred name you are committing a hate crime.

What if I do not know they are trans? What if the individual who I happen to mis-identify does not reveal to me they are transgender until after I commit a "hate crime"? What if they're very androgynous in appearance and I cannot possibly use the correct pronoun upon first contact with this individual? What if they change their identification on a daily basis? I know a young "man" who is Female to Male trans. For years he has taken offense to referring to him as a female. Recently he has started posting images on Instagram where he dresses very provocatively in clearly female attire.

The answer is it's still a hate crime whether or not I know their gender identity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnIAAkSNtqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWMZU_pgt6Q

tl;dr A part of my right to freedom of speech has just been revoked. I am now compelled to address transgender individuals by the proper pronouns and name. Discuss opinions.
Realak wrote:You guys are treating this game like it is a pvp esport or something and not the retarded version of farmville it is.
Ghoul

Re: Compelled Speech in Canada

Postby Taipion » Tue May 23, 2017 12:02 am

And I always thought Canadians were a little smarter than that...

Did you know that, in most cases but not in all ... "feeling attracted to the same sex" and/or "feeling like belonging to the other sex" is caused by a shift in the levels of certain hormones (mostly genetic cause iirc)?
Which in turn means that, technically speaking, these "deviations", caused by an alteration (or you might say mutation, or even defect) of the genes, actually are symptoms of an illness.
I guess I'd be eaten alive if I had said that in Canada, right? :D
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Ghoul » Tue May 23, 2017 12:04 am

Taipion wrote:And I always thought Canadians were a little smarter than that...

Did you know that, in most cases but not in all ... "feeling attracted to the same sex" and/or "feeling like belonging to the other sex" is caused by a shift in the levels of certain hormones (mostly genetic cause iirc)?
Which in turn means that, technically speaking, these "deviations", caused by an alteration (or you might say mutation, or even defect) of the genes, actually are symptoms of an illness.

...And Here's Ben Shapiro on transgenderism. Please ignore the antagonistic video title. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkONHNXGfaM
Realak wrote:You guys are treating this game like it is a pvp esport or something and not the retarded version of farmville it is.
Ghoul

Postby Taipion » Tue May 23, 2017 12:09 am

Ghoul wrote:
Taipion wrote:And I always thought Canadians were a little smarter than that...

...And Here's Ben Shapiro on transgenderism. Please ignore the antagonistic video title. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkONHNXGfaM

boyscouts! :D :D :D
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Ghoul » Tue May 23, 2017 12:18 am

Aside from personally agreeing with Ben Shapiro's point of view, it turns out this is actually an act of fear mongering in regards to calling this bill a proponent of "compelled speech". The bill does not state anything about compelled speech.

I've been had.

http://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42 ... rd-reading
Ghoul

Postby Taipion » Tue May 23, 2017 12:26 am

Ghoul wrote:Aside from personally agreeing with Ben Shapiro's point of view, it turns out this is actually an act of fear mongering in regards to calling this bill a proponent of "compelled speech". The bill does not state anything about compelled speech.

I've been had.

So what does that thing actually state?

Also, that Ben Shapiro (never heard of him before) seems to be pretty nice for a conservative. :D
Taipion

Postby Ghoul » Tue May 23, 2017 12:33 am

Taipion wrote:
Ghoul wrote:Aside from personally agreeing with Ben Shapiro's point of view, it turns out this is actually an act of fear mongering in regards to calling this bill a proponent of "compelled speech". The bill does not state anything about compelled speech.

I've been had.

Also, that Ben Shapiro (never heard of him before) seems to be pretty nice for a conservative. :D

It ammends the canadian charter of human rights and freedoms and the canadian criminal code to simply include "gender identity and gender expression" with the list of groups protected from discrimination, along with sex, race, religion, etc. and to say that it is a crime to discriminate against such groups. It doesn't say anything about pronouns.
evidence that the offence was motivated by bias, prejudice or hate based on [...]gender identity or expression, or on any other similar factor[...]
Ghoul

Postby Taipion » Tue May 23, 2017 12:43 am

Ghoul wrote:
Taipion wrote:

I've been had.

It ammends the canadian charter of human rights and freedoms and the canadian criminal code to simply include "gender identity and gender expression" with the list of groups protected from discrimination, along with sex, race, religion, etc. and to say that it is a crime to discriminate against such groups. It doesn't say anything about pronouns.
evidence that the offence was motivated by bias, prejudice or hate based on [...]gender identity or expression, or on any other similar factor[...]

:lol:
Taipion

Postby Dallane » Tue May 23, 2017 2:09 am

Imagine that liberal commies want to censor freedom of speech.

There are 2 genders
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Chrumps » Tue May 23, 2017 9:15 am

So now it is a crime to speak truth.
Sad times.
Chrumps

Next

Return to City upon a Hill