A police officer has been stabbed and the alleged assailant shot by armed police following an incident inside the security cordon of the Houses of Parliament.
Photographs and video emerged of a number of casualties on Westminster Bridge, next to the parliament buildings, who had apparently been struck by a car.
- Footage showed a car that had crashed into the perimeter railings of the parliamentary complex.
- Other images, taken from inside the Palace of Westminster building, showed paramedics treating someone inside the Old Palace Yard, within the security cordon.
- Scotland Yard said the attack in Westminster was being treated “as a terrorist incident until we know otherwise”.
- The House of Commons has been put in lockdown, with many MPs confined to the Commons chamber after parliamentary business was suspended.
- David Lidington, the leader of the House of Commons, confirmed to the assembled MPs that there had been a “serious incident” inside the parliamentary estate.
He said: “It seems that a police officer has been stabbed; that the alleged assailant was shot by armed police. An air ambulance is attending the scene to remove the casualties. There are also reports of further violent incidents in the vicinity.”
- The prime minister, Theresa May, was evacuated from the parliament building within minutes and driven to Downing Street.
- London ambulance service said it was called to Westminster Bridge at 2.40pm, with the first crew arriving within six minutes. It has declared a major incident.
- An emergency services helicopter landed in Parliament Square. Air ambulance medics are attending to the casualties inside the Old Palace Yard and on Westminster Bridge.
- Both the ambulance service and the Metropolitan police have appealed to the public to call 999 only in a genuine emergency.
- The London Eye, opposite the House of Parliament on the other side of Westminster Bridge, is also in lockdown, with some being held inside the attraction’s pods.
https://www.facebook.com/RTnews/videos/ ... 7597151945