A Tremendous Dissapointment, or why I quit playing Salem

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

A Tremendous Dissapointment, or why I quit playing Salem

Postby paulcrawls » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:31 pm

Let me introduce myself.

I've been playing Haven&Hearth almost for a year with a couple of breaks. I started in early 2012, just a few months since W6. Everything was OK. I found friends, we started a village, were raided, started it all over again. That was rough, albeit fun play. Considering roleplaying side, it was just great. One pal leveled up his Marksmanship, thus turning into a main hunter. I strengthened Smithing, turning into a Miner/Blacksmith of our village. Other guys were Cooks/Farmers, Carpenters or whatever. There was a straight difference in roleplaying, and that was what I call a great game.

What happened next? Without any content update, and, what's even worse — with horrible lags that ruin just everything, with lags so strong that I just couldn't make a few steps without having to wait half a minute — a community started to decay. There was no fun in playing this game anymore. I thought for a while that since Salem is a brand-new game, it should have been even better, with much more attention put into aspects of roleplaying. Yes, I know, it is still in a closed-beta stage, but it doesn't have to be a full-developed version for understanding it's basics. There are two main points considering current state:

1) Donation/Money focus. What pleased me most in H&H, there were no money in a common understanding. Who needs useless coins or paper stamps? Valuable goods — they were of need. In Salem it's all turned from hardcore to casual state, so players have place to securily trade (Boston) and have a fictional currency (Silver).

2) Lack of RP focus. Currently, and, what's worse, in a prospect, there are no and will be no such drastic differences in player classes, like in H&H. There are no dedicated farmers, blacksmiths or hunters — only jerks-of-all-trades. Buddies who got all the skills and raises their stats to 50+.

Given all that, it didn't take a long time to quit playing. Probably, I'm not alone in this case.
Who killed Davey Moore
Why an' what's the reason for?
paulcrawls

Re: A Tremendous Dissapointment, or why I quit playing Salem

Postby HasseKebab » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:40 pm

I enjoyed reading this, Lovely thread <3
HasseKebab

Postby Sevenless » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:41 pm

1) They need to eat. H&H was a baby of love, but Salem is intended to provide both Paradox and the developers an income. Donations were nice, but we all know that wasn't enough to live off of in the slightest.

2) Agreed. This is something that I believe is going to be addressed in the future. Despite calling it beta, we're really in late stage alpha right now. Small dev team, the game is much younger than Haven is. Give it time and I hope we'll see that change because it was a very powerful element of Haven gameplay that needs to live on in its spiritual successor.

Give it 4-6 months and come back. I'm certain you'll be pleasantly surprised.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Vibe » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:42 pm

paulcrawls wrote:1) Donation/Money focus. What pleased me most in H&H, there were no money in a common understanding. Who needs useless coins or paper stamps? Valuable goods — they were of need. In Salem it's all turned from hardcore to casual state, so players have place to securily trade (Boston) and have a fictional currency (Silver).

Because the annoying mechanic of making trade alts and teleporting them via village claims and possibly getting scammed is hardcore? Also Silver = Pearls, except silver is easier to get and can also be bought with real money if you're willing to spend quite a lot on it (pricing is pretty high for silver).

paulcrawls wrote:2) Lack of RP focus. Currently, and, what's worse, in a prospect, there are no and will be no such drastic differences in player classes, like in H&H. There are no dedicated farmers, blacksmiths or hunters — only jerks-of-all-trades. Buddies who got all the skills and raises their stats to 50+.

While there's no mechanics that prevents you from being a jack of all trades, villages still specialize people in roles and there's not a single thing that could prevent you from doing the same. This way both villages and hermits have it better.

Seems like you're complaining about very arbitrary stuff.
Vibe

Postby anox » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Getting a kick out all those posts from peeps "quitting" the game over details. Always comes down to:

"I've been an MMO player for years. I played MMOs before you guys were even born actually. In fact, I played them before they even existed! I even was on Haven & Hearth. In fact, unbeknownst to the devs, I was the one who came up with that game's name. I other words, I know games and I rule. But Salem? SALEM?! Wow. What a joke. The Log-In Screen totally sucks! I QUIT!"

People seem to be so spoiled these days, with all those alpha, beta and free releases.

Just, come back later and check it out then. No need for this useless drama. It sure is entertaining, but it makes it difficult to take your grievances seriously.
anox

Postby darnokpl » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:27 pm

paulcrawls wrote:Let me introduce myself.

I've been playing Haven&Hearth almost for a year with a couple of breaks. I started in early 2012

Interesting... I was playing hnh since w4 and I like Salem much more than hnh.

I can agree with you that in Salem we don't have specializations because it is very useful to have all skills
and skills levels doesn't affect purity/quality of crafted items, but it is temporary.
Look at M&M description... when all profs will get their buffs you will have your specializations in Salem :)
darnokpl

Postby Sevenless » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:25 pm

darnokpl wrote:
paulcrawls wrote:Let me introduce myself.

I've been playing Haven&Hearth almost for a year with a couple of breaks. I started in early 2012

Interesting... I was playing hnh since w4 and I like Salem much more than hnh.

I can agree with you that in Salem we don't have specializations because it is very useful to have all skills
and skills levels doesn't affect purity/quality of crafted items, but it is temporary.
Look at M&M description... when all profs will get their buffs you will have your specializations in Salem :)

I think salem is still playing catch up on Haven. But we're getting close (2-3 months I'd say) from the turning point where all the good mechanics of Haven have their equivalent set up in Salem. And salem has a loooot more promise.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby darnokpl » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:25 pm

Sevenless wrote:
I think salem is still playing catch up on Haven. But we're getting close (2-3 months I'd say) from the turning point where all the good mechanics of Haven have their equivalent set up in Salem. And salem has a loooot more promise.

Yes, shame that most people here doesn't get that:/

Another important thing is that people from hnh come into salem and wants to get hnh 3D :x
Cmon if you liked hnh for being unique, try not to compare both games, because Salem is also unique it is not 3D copy of hnh.
Only game genre and perma death are here similar, but entire content and game style is changed,
we should give hints how to improve and balance this game and create something new, not how to go back to things we are used to it.
darnokpl

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:42 pm

I only have one complaint on your post:

You have to have defined roles to RP? I thought the point of RP was to define your roles yourself.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:50 pm

MagicManICT wrote:I only have one complaint on your post:

You have to have defined roles to RP? I thought the point of RP was to define your roles yourself.

The term RP is being misused here. Traditionally it means role playing in taking on the aspects of a character not of your own personality and playing within those guidelines. What I believe the OP means is "Roles to Play" within Salem. And he's right that there really aren't any ways to specialize at something you enjoy doing.
Sevenless

Next

Return to City upon a Hill